The Student Room Group

A-Levels

Hi,

Is it possible to do A-levels from home/online? I did my A-levels years ago and was happy at the time. I'm seeing a lot of opportunities that I could go for if my grades were just a bit higher. Would it be possible to study at home and take exams? If so, how would I go about it?

Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by SS__
Hi,

Is it possible to do A-levels from home/online? I did my A-levels years ago and was happy at the time. I'm seeing a lot of opportunities that I could go for if my grades were just a bit higher. Would it be possible to study at home and take exams? If so, how would I go about it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, you can. You need to do two things.

1. Register with an exam board as a private candidate. You don't need to use the same exam board for each subject, but it might make things simpler. Look through the specification for each subject to see what it covers, and how the exams work. Then pick the one which suits you best. You might like to use the same exam board(s) you used previously.

2. Register with a local exam centre to actually sit the exams. (You can't do the exams at home - only the studying.) These are typically schools and colleges, and are happy to have external candidates use their exam hall, invigilators, etc.

There will be a cost for both of these steps. You can search a list of exam centres accepting private candidates here.

Edited to add that subjects with coursework or practicals can be tricky to do this way.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest