The Student Room Group

Universities

I do not have the best predicted grades so im in a dilemma in whether i should do a foundation year for psychology or take a gap year and do my ucas application again using my final A-level results and if my results are better i could apply for better universities.I was considering to do clearing but i realised psychology is really popular so spaces are likley to get filled. What do you think is the best option?
Reply 1
What are your grade predictions.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
What are your grade predictions.

It is CCC.
Reply 3
Dont apply to Uni this year and instead just work your socks off to get the best grades you can.
You may be able to pick something up in Clearing as so many Unis offer Psychology - especially of you do manage to get grades than predicted.
Original post by Nooppea
I do not have the best predicted grades so im in a dilemma in whether i should do a foundation year for psychology or take a gap year and do my ucas application again using my final A-level results and if my results are better i could apply for better universities.I was considering to do clearing but i realised psychology is really popular so spaces are likley to get filled. What do you think is the best option?

Hi,

I’m Lily a 2nd year psychology student at ARU.

Sorry to hear you’re a bit stressed out about to application process. I would definitely recommend still putting in for uni, there is no hurt in trying at all. Also speaking to your teachers would also be a great help to see what they say as well. Also, sometimes if you have experience it can also up your application as grades are not everything a university is looking for.

I really hope this eases your mind a little bit and if there is any other questions please feel free to ask !

ARU Digital ambassador
Lily
Original post by Nooppea

Hey there 😀

I would still consider applying to universities, either normally or by clearing. Especially since I think you might be able to get into De Montfort University (DMU) in Leicester. I mention this because I study Psychology there myself, and I would choose it one more time without hesitation.

What I suggest you do is contact the Enquiry Team at DMU. Someone from the team will be able to advise you which option is best for you. They have lovely people there who approach everyone professionally and individually.

In the meantime, I will share some insight so that you can understand why I recommend DMU and what you can expect.

The programme covers a wide range of modules, allowing us to explore different branches of Psychology and figure out the most fascinating for us. Whether you are interested in Clinical, Forensic, or Cognitive Psychology, DMU provides a well-rounded curriculum that caters to various interests.

The university provides modern facilities, including research spaces and equipment. These resources enhance the overall learning experience and the development of practical skills. Therefore, apart from regular lectures, we attend seminars (interactive discussions), workshops (practical classes with psychological software), and tutorials (practical demonstrations with psychological software and equipment).

DMU has strong connections with industry professionals and organisations. This facilitates opportunities for placements, internships, and networking, giving us a head start in careers upon graduation. During my first two years, I completed two Psychological internships, a Spanish language course, a TEFL online course, and participated in two academic-led trips abroad. This year, I am doing a student exchange in Psychology in Spain!

The Psychology student community at DMU is vibrant and inclusive. There are various student-led societies and events that provide opportunities to connect with peers who share similar interests. Additionally, Leicester is full of students and is ranked as one of the most affordable cities for us.

It is also worth noting that DMU's Psychology programme holds necessary accreditation from the British Psychological Society (BPS), ensuring that the curriculum meets the highest standards and we can pursue the career of Practising and Accredited Psychologists.

If you want to go through general information regarding the course, you can find it here.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Original post by Nooppea

Hi! If you can't find any universities/courses currently that you feel would fit, you could look into clearing after results day and see what you can find. You could also take a gap year and reapply as you said with your real grades, on top of potentially gaining work experience to boost your application! Whichever option/s you decide to follow, I'm sure you will find something that fits.
Best of luck,
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest