The Student Room Group

Engineering degree if bad at practical work

Hi,

Basically, I'm trying to decide which degree course to take, and one of them I'm considering is engineering (electrical to be specific).

I have good grades in both maths and physics a level so i meet the entry requirements, the only thing is that I'm quite bad at practical work in general - for example, I've always anything to do with fixing bikes very hard to wrap my head around, I don't know why!

Therefore, does anyone have any opinion about whether this would be a bad idea. My instinct tells me it would be a bad idea but at the same time I don't know whwether I just need more of a growth mindset - after all people can improve at the theoretical side, why not the other way round?

Many thanks if you've read this far, any comment would be appreciated.
Original post by 200emabro
Hi,

Basically, I'm trying to decide which degree course to take, and one of them I'm considering is engineering (electrical to be specific).

I have good grades in both maths and physics a level so i meet the entry requirements, the only thing is that I'm quite bad at practical work in general - for example, I've always anything to do with fixing bikes very hard to wrap my head around, I don't know why!

Therefore, does anyone have any opinion about whether this would be a bad idea. My instinct tells me it would be a bad idea but at the same time I don't know whwether I just need more of a growth mindset - after all people can improve at the theoretical side, why not the other way round?

Won't matter. There is virtually no assessed practical work in an engineering degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Won't matter. There is virtually no assessed practical work in an engineering degree.

Oh really? How do you know that just out of interest...
Oh really? How do you know that just out of interest...

Because I have an engineering degree. Opportunities for practical work was there, but the what contributed to the degree classification was the maths and the physics.
Hi,

Hello!

I'm a current 4th year Mechatronic Engineering student at Lancaster University and this was one of my main concerns when applying to study engineering.

In my experience of engineering at Lancaster, I have had lab sessions where you get marked on demonstrating what you have been working on actually works and how well you explain it, but majority of my lab work is assessed by the reports/coursework relating to practical work. One thing to remember is that majority of people in their first year aren't use to practical work so are unlikely to be the only one worried about it. It can be daunting going from A-level physics/science/DT etc. labs to university engineering labs but usually the universities know that and help you to build confidence doing practical work. In my experience, there was always someone around to help guide you and answer questions, such as a PHD student helper, lecturer or lab technician, especially in first year. Prepping and thinking about what I needed to do before a lab session always helped me with my nerves and gave me some extra time to wrap my head around the practical work. If you are interested in electrical engineering, I would recommend doing some research on what kind of practicals relate to it and seeing if it looks like something you would enjoy learning more about.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions : )
Izzy (LU Engineering Student ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!

I'm a current 4th year Mechatronic Engineering student at Lancaster University and this was one of my main concerns when applying to study engineering.

In my experience of engineering at Lancaster, I have had lab sessions where you get marked on demonstrating what you have been working on actually works and how well you explain it, but majority of my lab work is assessed by the reports/coursework relating to practical work. One thing to remember is that majority of people in their first year aren't use to practical work so are unlikely to be the only one worried about it. It can be daunting going from A-level physics/science/DT etc. labs to university engineering labs but usually the universities know that and help you to build confidence doing practical work. In my experience, there was always someone around to help guide you and answer questions, such as a PHD student helper, lecturer or lab technician, especially in first year. Prepping and thinking about what I needed to do before a lab session always helped me with my nerves and gave me some extra time to wrap my head around the practical work. If you are interested in electrical engineering, I would recommend doing some research on what kind of practicals relate to it and seeing if it looks like something you would enjoy learning more about.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions : )
Izzy (LU Engineering Student ambassador)

thank you I'll let you know if I have any more questions :smile:
Engineering at degree level is really more about understanding the physics you harness in different applications. Ultimately is develops a foundation set of skills that can be applied to professional engineering applications, in a full time job understanding the relative uncertainties & principles of lab or field use is important however typically you would work with a technician who has an apprenticeship in understanding physical/lab/field applications and as such the degree doesn’t overly weight this element.

Ultimately physical hand on skills are very different to understanding the governing physics. As such there are 2 different career paths.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
Even though the degree is more technical, you will get better at the practical side with practice. You aren't bad at it, you just haven't learnt.
Reply 8
Original post by Aaronburtt
Even though the degree is more technical, you will get better at the practical side with practice. You aren't bad at it, you just haven't learnt.

ok thank you that's reassuring

Quick Reply

Latest