The Student Room Group

A question about being able to take medicine

So I am doing the subjects, biology, chemistry and French but I recently visited a university and I was told that if I wanted to apply for the course, medicine I would have to do maths or physics so my question is should i do As physics or full A levels for physics and if so why? I feel like doing both year 12 and year 13 physics will drain me in my final year. What should I do?
Reply 1
Hi, I did Spanish bio and Chem and that was perfectly fine as I had both of the sciences bio and chem
Reply 2
Original post by saturated-candle
So I am doing the subjects, biology, chemistry and French but I recently visited a university and I was told that if I wanted to apply for the course, medicine I would have to do maths or physics so my question is should i do As physics or full A levels for physics and if so why? I feel like doing both year 12 and year 13 physics will drain me in my final year. What should I do?

Look at other unis that accept your A levels.
Reply 3
List of this year's entry requirements for Medicine - uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf (medschools.ac.uk)

only university that requires 3 sciences or bio chem and maths is cambridge
Reply 5

Have you checked the university's website to confirm that the info you were given is correct? Most unis require Biology & Chemistry or Biology and another science or Chemistry and another science. It seems suspiciously incorrect to me.
Original post by nutz99
Have you checked the university's website to confirm that the info you were given is correct? Most unis require Biology & Chemistry or Biology and another science or Chemistry and another science. It seems suspiciously incorrect to me.

I will check up on that, thank you

There is only one UK medical school where you need a third STEM subject to be competitive and that is Cambridge.

No other medical school cares what your third A-level is.

Quick Reply

Latest