The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to you use module PowerPoints as a reference for formal essay??

New to this Uni stuff. Am I allowed to do this? I can't email anyone at uni in this time period so hence why I'm asking here.
Original post by JP808
New to this Uni stuff. Am I allowed to do this? I can't email anyone at uni in this time period so hence why I'm asking here.

No, it's not a legitimate source. You need to find where that statement/opinion came from originally.
Original post by JP808

Hey!

According to my experience, it is usually not allowed to use module as a reference for formal essay, as it is not a legitimate published source. You can may be use those references which your professor used for their module presentations. Further, it would be best to check university website. Most universities have detailed information online regarding various topics, including academic regulations, student services, and more. If you're unable to email anyone at the moment, you might want to explore other communication channels. Many universities have online portals, forums, or social media groups where students can connect and ask questions. All the best for your essay!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 3
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!

According to my experience, it is usually not allowed to use module as a reference for formal essay, as it is not a legitimate published source. You can may be use those references which your professor used for their module presentations. Further, it would be best to check university website. Most universities have detailed information online regarding various topics, including academic regulations, student services, and more. If you're unable to email anyone at the moment, you might want to explore other communication channels. Many universities have online portals, forums, or social media groups where students can connect and ask questions. All the best for your essay!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

The effort expended checking all these sources would be surely better spent finding and citing the actual source of the information.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by JP808

Hi @JP808 ,

As others have said as it is not a legitimate source it is best not to use it as a reference for an essay.

Is it a powerpoint you found on the internet or a lecturers powerpoint?

If it is a lecturers powerpoint they usually cite where they got this info from, if they have not or if it is from the internet you should be able to find this information available otherwise you may have to not include that point or find another source.

On google scholar you can use quotation marks with words to help you make sure your source has there exact words you are looking for. If I wanted to find a paper about climate change and how meat consumption impacts this, I would search the following into the search bar of google scholar:

"Meat consumption" and the effect on "climate change"

I hope this helps. There are plenty of free blogs about tricks online/ with google scholar you can find to help level up your researching game!

I hope this helps. University coursework and assignments are tricky so if you have anymore questions let me know and I hope I can help you. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep - Final year BSc Psychology
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by JP808

Hello!

Usually from my experience, sometimes the tutors will include the website link for that reference, and if it correlates to your essay, then I would use it! But be careful just incase! Do inform your tutor if you are not sure!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending