The Student Room Group

I'm in dire need of course help PLEASE REPLY ASAP!

Hello everyone,
I have finished Year 11, and waiting upon my GCSE results as of right now. I have applied for A-Levels with these courses: Media Studies, Art and Design, Business studies. I have also applied for College with the vocational course of "Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Operations." Has anyone done this course before, and also done Level 3 of it too? If so, did you go to University? What did you do after doing those courses and what are the career opportunities? I was wondering if i could apply for other vocational courses in College, since i also have a deep interest in media studies as well as engineering, so i was wondering if it would be a good idea if i could apply for more than one vocational course. Has anyone here done the media studies course for A-level, or vocational?
Sorry for this being such a long question, but i would really appreciate it if someone could help me.
I am looking forward to your responses!
Thank you very much, in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by p !
Hello everyone,
I have finished Year 11, and waiting upon my GCSE results as of right now. I have applied for A-Levels with these courses: Media Studies, Art and Design, Business studies. I have also applied for College with the vocational course of "Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Operations." Has anyone done this course before, and also done Level 3 of it too? If so, did you go to University? What did you do after doing those courses and what are the career opportunities? I was wondering if i could apply for other vocational courses in College, since i also have a deep interest in media studies as well as engineering, so i was wondering if it would be a good idea if i could apply for more than one vocational course. Has anyone here done the media studies course for A-level, or vocational?
Sorry for this being such a long question, but i would really appreciate it if someone could help me.
I am looking forward to your responses!
Thank you very much, in advance!

Hey there,
I have just finished Year 13 and I had studied A-Level Media Studies, Photography and Graphic Communication and I am planning to go to university this September. If you have any specific questions regarding these subjects feel free to ask :smile:

Media Studies is a great subject if you are a creative individual and someone who loves writing essays. You study the history of media from radio, newspapers, magazines and TV while also looking at modern products such as music videos and video games and how the internet has influenced media. It touches into other subjects such as Sociology, Psychology, Politics and Film Studies.

The Level 2 Certificate in Engineering is the equivalent of a GCSE and would only be worth it if you do not achieve more than 5 GCSEs at grade 4. (Since that is what is required for most Level 3 courses and university) It will be additional work on top of your A-Levels which are a higher level, Level 3, and is needed to progress onto university.

You could do a Level 3 BTEC Engineering National Certificate course alongside your A-Levels but doing 4 subjects will increase the workload.

Do you have any specific careers in mind?
Reply 2
Original post by Aceful
Hey there,
I have just finished Year 13 and I had studied A-Level Media Studies, Photography and Graphic Communication and I am planning to go to university this September. If you have any specific questions regarding these subjects feel free to ask :smile:

Media Studies is a great subject if you are a creative individual and someone who loves writing essays. You study the history of media from radio, newspapers, magazines and TV while also looking at modern products such as music videos and video games and how the internet has influenced media. It touches into other subjects such as Sociology, Psychology, Politics and Film Studies.

The Level 2 Certificate in Engineering is the equivalent of a GCSE and would only be worth it if you do not achieve more than 5 GCSEs at grade 4. (Since that is what is required for most Level 3 courses and university) It will be additional work on top of your A-Levels which are a higher level, Level 3, and is needed to progress onto university.

You could do a Level 3 BTEC Engineering National Certificate course alongside your A-Levels but doing 4 subjects will increase the workload.

Do you have any specific careers in mind?

Hey there,
Thank you for your swift response! I don't really have any specific careers in mind as yet because I feel very confused. Yesterday, I applied for A-levels college as i don't feel like going to school. I applied with Media, Computer science and Business studies. I really hope i get that position in college. Media studies sounds really good as the way you have explained it sounds very promising and fun. What subjects have you chosen in uni? Do you have any career in mind?
Thanks a lot :smile:.
Reply 3
Original post by p !
Hey there,
Thank you for your swift response! I don't really have any specific careers in mind as yet because I feel very confused. Yesterday, I applied for A-levels college as i don't feel like going to school. I applied with Media, Computer science and Business studies. I really hope i get that position in college. Media studies sounds really good as the way you have explained it sounds very promising and fun. What subjects have you chosen in uni? Do you have any career in mind?
Thanks a lot :smile:.

Those subjects are a great combination! Going into college I wanted to get into the creative computing industry such as web and app design, game design, UI/UX so initially I wanted a mix of science and creative subjects for my A-Levels.

I had applied for Computer Science, Media Studies and Graphic Communication but after GCSE results day, the college I applied to cancelled the Computer Science course last minute because there were only 2 people who enrolled with the required grades. This meant I had to replace the subject and most of the courses were full so my options were limited. I settled for Photography.

I am doing Software Engineering at the Uni Of Leicester this September. When I initially applied on UCAS I had applied for a mix of Software Engineering, Digital Media and Creative Computing courses. I made sure to mention my programming skills and knowledge in my personal statement (I had done GCSE Computer Science too) and was lucky to receive an offer from each. :smile:

My favourite subject was Media Studies just because I really enjoyed the coursework element. 30% of your grade is from coursework where you have to create a music video, magazine, film marketing or short film relating to a brief given by the exam board. I did the film marketing so I had to create a series of film posters for an upcoming film as well as a website promoting the release. Shortly before my exams I received my mark and scored 57/60 which I am extremely happy with.
Reply 4
Original post by Aceful
Those subjects are a great combination! Going into college I wanted to get into the creative computing industry such as web and app design, game design, UI/UX so initially I wanted a mix of science and creative subjects for my A-Levels.

I had applied for Computer Science, Media Studies and Graphic Communication but after GCSE results day, the college I applied to cancelled the Computer Science course last minute because there were only 2 people who enrolled with the required grades. This meant I had to replace the subject and most of the courses were full so my options were limited. I settled for Photography.

I am doing Software Engineering at the Uni Of Leicester this September. When I initially applied on UCAS I had applied for a mix of Software Engineering, Digital Media and Creative Computing courses. I made sure to mention my programming skills and knowledge in my personal statement (I had done GCSE Computer Science too) and was lucky to receive an offer from each. :smile:

My favourite subject was Media Studies just because I really enjoyed the coursework element. 30% of your grade is from coursework where you have to create a music video, magazine, film marketing or short film relating to a brief given by the exam board. I did the film marketing so I had to create a series of film posters for an upcoming film as well as a website promoting the release. Shortly before my exams I received my mark and scored 57/60 which I am extremely happy with.

Hi, Sorry for my late response!! Thank you so much for your detailed reply :smile:. I didn't do computer science in my GCSEs, so will that be a minus point or will I be able to slide through? Also, how much Maths is in it? Because maths isn't really a strong point of mine. Media sounds really great, so i am looking forward to that! Thank you so much.
Reply 5
Original post by p !
Hi, Sorry for my late response!! Thank you so much for your detailed reply :smile:. I didn't do computer science in my GCSEs, so will that be a minus point or will I be able to slide through? Also, how much Maths is in it? Because maths isn't really a strong point of mine. Media sounds really great, so i am looking forward to that! Thank you so much.

No worries!

A-Level computer science covers the GCSE content while going more indepth. Most schools/colleges do not require it as an entry requirement but it obviously would be helpful having prior knowledge of the subject. They only require a high maths grade due to the amount of maths in the course. As long as you are motivated to learn, you shouldn't struggle to keep up.

Because it is a science subject, there is a large amount of maths but it is a broad subject so you learn about a lot of things such as programming, theory, hardware and software and cyber security. Every lesson will not be 100% maths but it does make up a big part of the course. :smile:

What subjects did you do at GCSE?
Reply 6
Original post by Aceful
No worries!

A-Level computer science covers the GCSE content while going more indepth. Most schools/colleges do not require it as an entry requirement but it obviously would be helpful having prior knowledge of the subject. They only require a maths grade due to the amount of maths in the course. As long as you are motivated to learn, you shouldn't struggle to keep up.

Because it is a science subject, there is a large amount of maths but it is a broad subject so you learn about a lot of things such as programming, theory, hardware and software and cyber security. Every lesson will not be 100% maths but it does make up a big part of the course. :smile:

What subjects did you do at GCSE?

Hi, sorry I was away for so long. Thank you so much for your information. I had chosen: Art, Engineering Design, and History.
Reply 7
Original post by p !
Hi, sorry I was away for so long. Thank you so much for your information. I had chosen: Art, Engineering Design, and History.

No worries, those are interesting subjects. I had done Art, Design and Technology and Computer Science at GCSE.

Just had my results day and I got into my first choice university but my grades were underwhelming, excited to focus on Software Engineering at uni in September.

Good luck with your results day. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Aceful
No worries, those are interesting subjects. I had done Art, Design and Technology and Computer Science at GCSE.

Just had my results day and I got into my first choice university but my grades were underwhelming, excited to focus on Software Engineering at uni in September.

Good luck with your results day. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you so much, congratulations on your results and for getting into Uni! :biggrin:
Reply 9
How were your results?

Original post by p !
Thank you so much, congratulations on your results and for getting into Uni! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Aceful
How were your results?

Hey dude, sorry for this extremely late reply. I got into college!! I'm doing A-Levels. I'm doing: Media, Business Studies, and computer science, as i aspired to do.
Reply 11
Original post by p !
Hey dude, sorry for this extremely late reply. I got into college!! I'm doing A-Levels. I'm doing: Media, Business Studies, and computer science, as i aspired to do.

That's great! Have fun and enjoy your A-Levels
Reply 12
Original post by Aceful
That's great! Have fun and enjoy your A-Levels

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest