The Student Room Group

Australian Student (Cambridge Mathematics Aspirant)

Hi, I am a Year 12 student down under in Australia. Currently I have been thinking about applications to UK universities through the UCAS system as I want to study abroad here.
Anyway, for a Cambridge Mathematics Course in 2024 there is an October 2023 deadline through UCAS for Oxford and Cambridge courses. How will I be able to show evidence of my ATAR score if that is released in December 2023? (Will I really have to wait another whole year???) I apologize if I am missing something as I have only just caught myself now trying to understand the UK admissions process to stay on the ball.
Also a side note - Will age be a problem in my application and possibly university endeavors? I skipped a year and I am 16 turning 17 early next year in March.

Any answers, advice or help will be gladly appreciated.

Cheers Rob
Hello! Fellow Australian here. The A-Levels the UK uses haven’t been sat before they submit their applications, so they use predicted grades. So for us it’s the same, as in you send in a predicted ATAR.
Original post by RobKamm
Also a side note - Will age be a problem in my application and possibly university endeavors? I skipped a year and I am 16 turning 17 early next year in March.

It shouldn't be from an academic perspective, as long as the qualifications you held were those of an 18yo school-leaver and met the entry requirements other than, of course, that the legal drinking age in the UK is 18, so if you were expecting drinking or clubbing to be part of your freshers' week / the first few months of your degree, you might find yourself missing out while all your friends were allowed entry to nightclubs etc. (Cambridge as a city is generally very strict on ID requirements in bars and clubs!)
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by closetarchivist
Hello! Fellow Australian here. The A-Levels the UK uses haven’t been sat before they submit their applications, so they use predicted grades. So for us it’s the same, as in you send in a predicted ATAR.

Thanks mate - Looks like I now have to do some more research into my UCAS application. My question is, who predicts your ATAR? Is it a teacher (or several teachers)
Original post by RobKamm
Thanks mate - Looks like I now have to do some more research into my UCAS application. My question is, who predicts your ATAR? Is it a teacher (or several teachers)

I think you’d have to ask your school because I honestly don’t know, I don’t have mine yet. I assume it would come from the admin/principal however if that helps as a starting point for asking.
Original post by RobKamm

Hi there! You will need to get predicted grades from your teacher(s) - however your school feels best to do so. Please note, you will need an overall ATAR prediction and predictions for the individual subjects you are taking as part of it. The University will not be able to assess your application without these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending