The Student Room Group

EPQ worth in Medicine?

Hello, I'm a student currently in Year 12 and I would like to study medicine in the Future. I'm also doing an EPQ for my A-Levels and I was considering dropping it.

Is there any benefit of doing an EPQ if you're going to study medicine?
Original post by strycedar
Hello, I'm a student currently in Year 12 and I would like to study medicine in the Future. I'm also doing an EPQ for my A-Levels and I was considering dropping it.

Is there any benefit of doing an EPQ if you're going to study medicine?

It certainly did for me and my fellow med candidates last year. One of my friends got a B in one of her subject choices but because she got an A* in EPQ, her offer was still confirmed. I was able to talk about my EPQ in my personal statement and during interviews. It also gives you a good insight on relevant topics in the field and the research you do can serve you well during the interviews (ethics, tech etc).
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
It certainly did for me and my fellow med candidates last year. One of my friends got a B in one of her subject choices but because she got an A* in EPQ, her offer was still confirmed. I was able to talk about my EPQ in my personal statement and during interviews. It also gives you a good insight on relevant topics in the field and the research you do can serve you well during the interviews (ethics, tech etc).

I see, but even though I plan to do medicine at Uni, my EPQ is not related to medicine or healthcare. Is that fine or not?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by strycedar
I see, but even though I plan to do medicine at Uni, my EPQ is not related to medicine or healthcare. Is that fine or not?

Yeah that should be OK, because the value of doing the EPQ comes from the research skills and time management that you learn as part of the course, which like @Tulipbloom said is great for the personal statement and interviews (especially if you are thinking of applying to universities that care a lot about research e.g. Oxbridge, Russell Group). You're also very lucky to do the EPQ in year 12 as there's a lot less going on compared to year 13 (which is when my school does EPQ 😞).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending