The Student Room Group

Does EPQ truly matter?

Hi, I’m going into year 12 and I’m just wondering if EPQ contributes to universities (med school in specific) giving you an interview or giving you a place. My school didn’t really go into detail about EPQ so I’m just left with a few questions. Does it affect med schools choosing you? Is it best to choose a topic that revolves around medicine? Will a higher grade give me a chance of an interview or place? What does it really do? Any of these questions answered will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by ivy345
Hi, I’m going into year 12 and I’m just wondering if EPQ contributes to universities (med school in specific) giving you an interview or giving you a place. My school didn’t really go into detail about EPQ so I’m just left with a few questions. Does it affect med schools choosing you? Is it best to choose a topic that revolves around medicine? Will a higher grade give me a chance of an interview or place? What does it really do? Any of these questions answered will be much appreciated. Thanks!

No. My school advised against doing the EPQ if you are applying to medicine, instead using that time to prepare for the entrance exams.
Medical schools care more about A Levels, UCAT/BMAT than EPQ - other than researching more about a topic relating to medicine being something to write on the personal statement. No - it doesnt affect medical schools choosing or rejecting you.

Your entrance exam score (UCAT/BMAT) is used to shortlist for interview
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
No. My school advised against doing the EPQ if you are applying to medicine, instead using that time to prepare for the entrance exams.
Medical schools care more about A Levels, UCAT/BMAT than EPQ - other than researching more about a topic relating to medicine being something to write on the personal statement. No - it doesnt affect medical schools choosing or rejecting you.

Your entrance exam score (UCAT/BMAT) is used to shortlist for interview

Ok thank you so much!! But unfortunately everyone in my 6 form HAS to do EPQ,, we don’t get a choice. Ill most likely base it on medicine though. Thanks for answering my questions.
Reply 3
Original post by ivy345

Hi, I was initially planning on doing medicine throughout the entirety of college, but after my gap year, I decided I wanted to do psychology instead. I would say EPQ is quite important and is good to do for medicine, especially if you want to go to a higher-end uni (Manchester, UCL, etc). Picking a topic around medicine is essential. During college I attended a lot of webinars for various med schools and every single one of them said to do EPQ if offered. It is also really important that you do well in your BMAT/UCAT, so if you think doing EPQ will heavily impact that I would say don't do it. However, I'd argue it shouldn't as ideally you wouldn't need to spend more than 2 months preparing prior to your entry exams, at least for your UCAT, as that is specifically what they recommend.
Reply 4
Original post by TayTay_
Hi, I was initially planning on doing medicine throughout the entirety of college, but after my gap year, I decided I wanted to do psychology instead. I would say EPQ is quite important and is good to do for medicine, especially if you want to go to a higher-end uni (Manchester, UCL, etc). Picking a topic around medicine is essential. During college I attended a lot of webinars for various med schools and every single one of them said to do EPQ if offered. It is also really important that you do well in your BMAT/UCAT, so if you think doing EPQ will heavily impact that I would say don't do it. However, I'd argue it shouldn't as ideally you wouldn't need to spend more than 2 months preparing prior to your entry exams, at least for your UCAT, as that is specifically what they recommend.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what a good UCAT score is to get a chance of an interview?
Reply 5
Original post by ivy345
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what a good UCAT score is to get a chance of an interview?

The average UCAT score is around 2480-2550 (around 620-637 per section) and a good UCAT score is usually above 2720 (at least 680 per section)
Reply 6
Original post by ivy345
Ok thank you so much!! But unfortunately everyone in my 6 form HAS to do EPQ,, we don’t get a choice. Ill most likely base it on medicine though. Thanks for answering my questions.

i don't think a school can force you to enrol in a qualification
Reply 7
Original post by HoldThisL
i don't think a school can force you to enrol in a qualification

Mine can it seems lol,, we simply don’t have a choice, everyone has been told they are going to do it.
Original post by ivy345
Mine can it seems lol,, we simply don’t have a choice, everyone has been told they are going to do it.

Hey I came from a school that also made EPQ mandatory. Doing an EPQ on medicine would be best. As a previous med applicant, the EPQ was something I was able to bring into conversation during my interview. Having done a topic that revolved around a current problem in the field also gave me a better understanding on how the public health system works and how such issues were resolved when ethics are being taken into consideration. For a friend of mine who was also a med applicant, she got a B in one of her A levels (offer was an A*AA) but her offer was still confirmed due to her getting an A* in EPQ.
Reply 9
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey I came from a school that also made EPQ mandatory. Doing an EPQ on medicine would be best. As a previous med applicant, the EPQ was something I was able to bring into conversation during my interview. Having done a topic that revolved around a current problem in the field also gave me a better understanding on how the public health system works and how such issues were resolved when ethics are being taken into consideration. For a friend of mine who was also a med applicant, she got a B in one of her A levels (offer was an A*AA) but her offer was still confirmed due to her getting an A* in EPQ.

Agreed. You have to do a lot of super curriculars to get into med schools, and hyper competitive unis such as Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial etc. EPQ is a great way to do this, plus like you’ve said can be great for discussions at interview. Cambridge also encourage them as they demonstrate independent learning and research skills, which are the skills you need to do well at uni.
Reply 10
Some very good unis such as Birmingham also lower grade requirements for those with EPQ, but that comes with the sneaky catch that you need to make then your firm, otherwise it does not count.
Reply 11
Yes if you're going sub 20 unis, ******* regret not taking it cuz my offer could've went from say BBB to BCC.
Reply 12
Original post by Clivierx
Yes if you're going sub 20 unis, ******* regret not taking it cuz my offer could've went from say BBB to BCC.

Yep, even good Russell Group Unis like Sheffield and Leeds lower requirements for most of their courses with EPQs, and they don't have the same catch as Birmingham where the reduction only applies if you make it your firm.
Reply 13
Yeah lmao I was under the impression EPQs where not worth it at all and now regret it so badly
Reply 14
Original post by Clivierx
Yeah lmao I was under the impression EPQs where not worth it at all and now regret it so badly

..but on a positive note, they are quite time consuming, so with that extra time you might be more likely to get the BBB you need?
Reply 15
Original post by lalexm

..but on a positive note, they are quite time consuming, so with that extra time you might be more likely to get the BBB you need?

Yeah damn you're right actually

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending