The Student Room Group

will further maths be helpful for medicine?

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I had plans to drop Further Maths but I'm not allowed- is it useful for my uni application?
Reply 1
Original post by esme2006
I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I had plans to drop Further Maths but I'm not allowed- is it useful for my uni application?

No, not for medicine. Why can't you drop it ? No uni requires more than 3 A levels for medicine.
Reply 2

I’m taking these options too. Most unis don’t accept further maths in your final 3 a levels (so if you put down Maths A FM A and Chemistry A or something they wouldn’t accept maths and fm together). It’s still a respectable a level, so I think it can show that you enjoy more of the sciences/maths and if you do well in all 4 shows good time management. Ultimately the only time it’ll be beneficial is if you have two applicants to choose from for example

Candidate A:
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Maths A*
Work experience and good PS
Good interview

Candidate B (You):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Maths A*
Further Maths A/A*
Good interview

A Uni would probably choose B just because it’s an extra thing that stands out, but as it shows it’ll probably only be considered if they need to narrow down options.
Reply 3
Original post by study23!
I’m taking these options too. Most unis don’t accept further maths in your final 3 a levels (so if you put down Maths A FM A and Chemistry A or something they wouldn’t accept maths and fm together). It’s still a respectable a level, so I think it can show that you enjoy more of the sciences/maths and if you do well in all 4 shows good time management. Ultimately the only time it’ll be beneficial is if you have two applicants to choose from for example

Candidate A:
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Maths A*
Good interview

Candidate B (You):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Maths A*
Further Maths A/A*
Good interview

A Uni would probably choose B just because it’s an extra thing that stands out, but as it shows it’ll probably only be considered if they need to narrow down options.

Some med schools specifically say they disregard 4th A levels.

It would be better to ensure 3 As than risk dropping to AABB.

If you have capacity an EPQ is better than a fourth A level for medicine as it often gives rise to a reduced /alternative / flexible offer.

Still focus should be on getting 3 solid As.
Reply 4
Original post by GGIN
Some med schools specifically say they disregard 4th A levels.

It would be better to ensure 3 As than risk dropping to AABB.

If you have capacity an EPQ is better than a fourth A level for medicine as it often gives rise to a reduced /alternative / flexible offer.

Still focus should be on getting 3 solid As.

I actually am already doing an EPQ as well- perhaps this will lower the offer just in case I do get lower grades? Right now my predicted is A*A*AB but its too early to tell in my opinion
Reply 5
My school is making me continue Further Maths. I don't exactly know why but have an inkling its because it looks good on them?
Original post by Muttley79
No, not for medicine. Why can't you drop it ? No uni requires more than 3 A levels for medicine.
I actually am already doing an EPQ as well- perhaps this will lower the offer just in case I do get lower grades? Right now my predicted is A*A*AB but its too early to tell in my opinion

that's a good idea but on the other hand your time could be better spent focusing on your 3 subjects and possibly getting A*A*A* +A/A* in your EPQ
Reply 7
My school is making me continue Further Maths. I don't exactly know why but have an inkling its because it looks good on them?

Get you parents involved - it's crazy!

It would look even better for them to say that x pupils got into medical school, rather than. x-1 because you had to spread your efforts over unnecessary subjects.
Original post by ageshallnot
It would look even better for them to say that x pupils got into medical school, rather than. x-1 because you had to spread your efforts over unnecessary subjects.

i strongly agree
Reply 10
I will try and keep you all updated
I will try and keep you all updated

You need three high grades and are doing an EPQ ... where I teach it would be F Maths or an EPQ not both.
Reply 12

What is the B in ? If its anything other than FM that could be a problem.

FM will be disregarded anyway, so if that is an A or A* then the B subject becomes even more important to focus on to pull it up to an A.

It's also worth pointing out to your parents if discussing this with them, if you want to do medicine the grind of extra work experience and thr time needed to dedicate to interview prep really should not be discounted.

You sound eminently capable, but everybody is limited by only having 24 hours in a day !

Good luck.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by study23!

Candidate A:
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Maths A*
Good interview

Candidate B (You):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Maths A*
Further Maths A/A*
Good interview

that's not necessarily true. most unis when they get to a stage where interview score is identical between 2 applicants they use their ucat scores and/or sjt bands to differentiate. in the rare cases interview scores, ucat scores and sjt bands are identical, they use the ps and contextual flags to differentiate between applicants

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending