The Student Room Group

EPQ

hello, I am a year12 student and I am thinking should I do drop EPQ because I feel like doing EPQ is so busy since I already have a lot of work to do in A-level so anyone have done EPQ can share your experience that if EPQ really busy and may help back your academic ?tysm
Reply 1
Original post by yr12 student
hello, I am a year12 student and I am thinking should I do drop EPQ because I feel like doing EPQ is so busy since I already have a lot of work to do in A-level so anyone have done EPQ can share your experience that if EPQ really busy and may help back your academic ?tysm

I'm not one of the people you asked for because I didn't complete an epq, but I just wanted to share that was in the same situation as you (I dropped EPQ so I could put more time into my other subjects). I still got into the uni I wanted to.
Original post by Pablopip
I'm not one of the people you asked for because I didn't complete an epq, but I just wanted to share that was in the same situation as you (I dropped EPQ so I could put more time into my other subjects). I still got into the uni I wanted to.

Congratulations for you getting into the uni you want. Because I want to study medicine and maybe doing EPQ can gain more ucas points do you think it’s worth to ? And when you doing the epq did u get super busy on it ?thanks for replying tho
Reply 3
Original post by A-level 23-25’s
Congratulations for you getting into the uni you want. Because I want to study medicine and maybe doing EPQ can gain more ucas points do you think it’s worth to ? And when you doing the epq did u get super busy on it ?thanks for replying tho

Med degrees do not use UCAS points, you need to get min AAA, so EPQ will be not help there, but to get into medicine you need work experience and a lot of super curriculars, so doing a medicine related EPQ would be a good way of contributing towards that, but of course you can do other things instead like reading lots of books, doing webinars, MOOCs etc.
Reply 4
Original post by A-level 23-25’s

I agree, it might be worth it, not just for the ucas points but also because Unis value it and so may give you a reduced offer. Coming to Reddit was a good idea, and hopefully others can give you some insight. Yes, I felt really busy when doing it which is why I stopped, but I guess at least it would be done before year 13, when A Levels get busier. Good Luck btw!
Original post by yr12 student

Hey I am a current med student and did the EPQ (on med and got full marks). Its true that the EPQ takes up a lot of time but for me not taking it wasn't an option because my school made it mandatory. What made it more stressful was the fact that my first draft was due after the summer of Y12. During the summer, most med candidates would revise and sit the UCAT and so, having to juggle the EPQ, UCAT prep, work experience, and possibly writing your personal statement, can certainly be stressful (it certainly was for me). However, what made it worth it was that I got to talk about it in my personal statement and during my interviews. For my friend (also current med student) who got a B in her final exam (for one of her subject choices), getting an A* in EPQ helped lower her initial offer and allowed her place to be confirmed on results day. Doing an EPQ on med especially allowed me to find out more about the field at present and where it's heading towards. I know its a lot of work but honestly at times I'm grateful that I had something else to work on (other than normal school stuff) when I was feeling demotivated as I was so passionate about the topic I was researching. Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
Med degrees do not use UCAS points, you need to get min AAA, so EPQ will be not help there, but to get into medicine you need work experience and a lot of super curriculars, so doing a medicine related EPQ would be a good way of contributing towards that, but of course you can do other things instead like reading lots of books, doing webinars, MOOCs etc.

Med degree doesn't use UCAS points ? so do they only care about grades ? Also I have applied for a lot of working experience but I don't know what kind of circulars should I apply please give me some advices. And I have dropped my EPQ because I know It will held back my academic.
Reply 7
Original post by Pablopip
I agree, it might be worth it, not just for the ucas points but also because Unis value it and so may give you a reduced offer. Coming to Reddit was a good idea, and hopefully others can give you some insight. Yes, I felt really busy when doing it which is why I stopped, but I guess at least it would be done before year 13, when A Levels get busier. Good Luck btw!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending