The Student Room Group

HMRC going to hunt down tax evasions for side hustlers

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/hmrc-warning-new-tax-rules-31727304

This doesn't reference paid surveys at all from what I can see. What will then happen to us using YouGov, Swagbucks, Crowdology etc?

Our paypals should be showing under £1k annually as you only get pennies for surveys and it's hardly a side hustle.
When the establishment introduce central banks digital currency (CBDC) as they undoubtedly plan to, every penny you earn will be known of and taxed where deemed appropriate. Turkish barbers and tanningsalons will disappear over night.
Good. HMRC already receive information from banks on the amount of interest customers get from savings accounts. Why shouldn't they get similar information from other companies that enable customers to generate income?

It's not like they'll be going after your local thrifter for making a quick £20 selling a vintage Star Wars toy, that sort of money doesn't justify the amount of paperwork it would require from HMRC. The type of people this targets are the people who make thousands every year but evade the tax man because they don't declare it.

Some eBay sellers, for example, make an insane amount of money. It isn't difficult to find dedicated seller accounts with thousands of annual sales. They should pay their fair share of tax just like the rest of us.
Reply 3
I know I have made under 1k looking at my PayPal stats and have had a few amazon gift cards and I don't get them much.
Reply 4
So HMRC actually doing its job? Good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending