The Student Room Group

Wrongly taxed

Hi I haven’t paid income tax since May although in my recent payslip that came today one of the deductions was a payment taken away towards income tax, is this worth appealing to HMRC tax office especially with a tax code 1257L and the fact that I’m under the tax threshold…
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi I haven’t paid income tax since May although in my recent payslip that came today one of the deductions was a payment taken away towards income tax, is this worth appealing to HMRC tax office especially with a tax code 1257L and the fact that I’m under the tax threshold…

Did you do a lot of overtime etc for Xmas? If you earned more than 1062 this month, this may have triggered the tax (12750/12=1062). If you did and this was a one off and you are sure you wont go above 12750 in total by 1st April, you could contact HMRC and ask for it to be repaid to you.
Original post by bamtutor
Did you do a lot of overtime etc for Xmas? If you earned more than 1062 this month, this may have triggered the tax (12750/12=1062). If you did and this was a one off and you are sure you wont go above 12750 in total by 1st April, you could contact HMRC and ask for it to be repaid to you.

Yes I did a lot of overtime
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed_80
Yes I did a lot of overtime

You say your tax code is 1257L -- does it have "M1" or "W1" after the 1257L?

We're now around 9 months into the tax year, so assuming no "M1" or "W1", your cumulative allowance is 9/12ths of 12570 -- so £9427. Your payslip should show your year-to-date earnings. If those exceed £9427, that's why you've paid tax.

If your overall earnings by the end of the tax year (which is April 5th) are below the £12570 allowance, the tax you've paid now will be refunded automatically through your pay.
Original post by martin7
You say your tax code is 1257L -- does it have "M1" or "W1" after the 1257L?

We're now around 9 months into the tax year, so assuming no "M1" or "W1", your cumulative allowance is 9/12ths of 12570 -- so £9427. Your payslip should show your year-to-date earnings. If those exceed £9427, that's why you've paid tax.

If your overall earnings by the end of the tax year (which is April 5th) are below the £12570 allowance, the tax you've paid now will be refunded automatically through your pay.

I agree.
Or if you know you arent going to go over the allowance before the end of the tax year (for example if you happened to do a lot of overtime this month or something) then you can phone up the tax office to sort it. It then gets refunded next pay day, rather than having to wait until after the end of the tax year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending