The Student Room Group

thermodynamics help

8. A gas flows steadily through a rotary compressor. The gas enters the compressor at a temperature of 16°C, a pressure of 100 kPa, and an enthalpy of 391.2 kJ/kg. The gas leaves the compressor at a temperature of 245°C, a pressure of 0.6 Mpa, and an enthalpy of 534.5 kJ/kg. There is no heat transfer to or from the gas as it flows through the compressor.

(a) Evaluate the external work done per unit mass of gas
assuming the gas velocities at entry and exit to be negligible.

(b) Evaluate the external work done per unit mass of gas when the gas velocity at entry is 80 m/s and that at exit is 160 m/s.

argh:s-smilie:
Reply 1
First law for an open system:

Q12+W12=ΔH+ΔKE+ΔPE Q_{12} + W{12} = \Delta H + \Delta KE + \Delta PE

In the first problem no heat, no change in KE, no change in PE:

W12=ΔH=H2H1 W_{12} = \Delta H = H_2 - H_1

Easy peasy.

For the 2nd problem it's the same only there IS a change of kinetic energy:

W12=ΔH+ΔKE=H2H1+12m(u22u12)W_{12} = \Delta H + \Delta KE = H_2 - H_1 + \frac{1}{2}m(u_2^2 - u_1^2)

Divide through by mass and you get specific properties!

w12=Δh+Δke=h2h1+12(u22u12)w_{12} = \Delta h + \Delta ke = h_2 - h_1 + \frac{1}{2}(u_2^2 - u_1^2)

And remember that for a perfect gas! h=CpT h = C_{p}T
From Manosh himself....

lol
Reply 3
griffinsnight
From Manosh himself....

lol

o.0

Don't ruin my 2nd year! I'm trying to go through it without ever hearing of or seeing that man :P.

Let me be Manosh free until next year, please!
Mush
o.0

Don't ruin my 2nd year! I'm trying to go through it without ever hearing of or seeing that man :P.

Let me be Manosh free until next year, please!

He is a babe though!

I think he's pretty decent actually -it's the class that muck up his lectures because none of them can be bothered listening past his admittedly thick accent and listening to his teaching.

Manosh ftw! :P

EDIT: Wait - if we make it through to 3rd year we get him again???
Reply 5
griffinsnight
He is a babe though!

I think he's pretty decent actually -it's the class that muck up his lectures because none of them can be bothered listening past his admittedly thick accent and listening to his teaching.

Manosh ftw! :P

EDIT: Wait - if we make it through to 3rd year we get him again???

But the class are perfectly fine with Coton, no? And they're probably perfectly fine with Scott Roy and the Maths lecturers too. Manosh, I'm willing to bet, is the only one. He's a crap lecturer, simple as that. To be a good lecturer you're supposed to make the material engaging, interesting, exciting etc to the point that nobody WANTS to carry on, and they WANT to listen. He does none of these, and less. Nothing to do with his accent. Even if he was Scottish, and had the same attitudes/mannerisms/tone, I'd think he were ****. But on the topic of his accent; if you can't pronounce the name of your own subject, then you shouldn't be teaching it, imo. "Dermojinamies".

I'm not actually sure if we get him next year tbh. I've heard rumour of that but I think that might just be because he teaches a similarly named course that we, only he does it for Mechs perhaps. I don't know, I'll let you know in September.
Mush
But the class are perfectly fine with Coton, no? And they're probably perfectly fine with Scott Roy and the Maths lecturers too. Manosh, I'm willing to bet, is the only one. He's a crap lecturer, simple as that. To be a good lecturer you're supposed to make the material engaging, interesting, exciting etc to the point that nobody WANTS to carry on, and they WANT to listen. He does none of these, and less. Nothing to do with his accent. Even if he was Scottish, and had the same attitudes/mannerisms/tone, I'd think he were ****. But on the topic of his accent; if you can't pronounce the name of your own subject, then you shouldn't be teaching it, imo. "Dermojinamies".

I'm not actually sure if we get him next year tbh. I've heard rumour of that but I think that might just be because he teaches a similarly named course that we, only he does it for Mechs perhaps. I don't know, I'll let you know in September.

Wow, that rant did earn a lol

I wanted to stay for Manosh's lectures - mainly because of his banter though so I've sort of just pied myself...oops :frown:

His lecture notes are good you have to admit - with the exception of a few typos...

By the by - good luck avoiding him :biggrin:
Reply 7
griffinsnight
Wow, that rant did earn a lol

I wanted to stay for Manosh's lectures - mainly because of his banter though so I've sort of just pied myself...oops :frown:

His lecture notes are good you have to admit - with the exception of a few typos...

By the by - good luck avoiding him :biggrin:

The lecture notes you guys have this year are vastly superior to the absolute garbage we were given last year. I think last year was his first year teaching that course and he was TOTALLY unprepared. I would have killed for your lecture notes last year lol. Last year he was incompetent in every imaginable way. He probably is a bit better this year... with last years experience behind him. But my my he was awful last year.

Still got an A1 though (H).

Your exam was on monday though, eh? So now you don't have to see him 'til third year :P. How'd it go?

Lmfao. By the by. Hahaahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mush
The lecture notes you guys have this year are vastly superior to the absolute garbage we were given last year. I think last year was his first year teaching that course and he was TOTALLY unprepared. I would have killed for your lecture notes last year lol. Last year he was incompetent in every imaginable way. He probably is a bit better this year... with last years experience behind him. But my my he was awful last year.

Still got an A1 though (H).

Your exam was on monday though, eh? So now you don't have to see him 'til third year :P. How'd it go?

Lmfao. By the by. Hahaahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear - it was an absolutly terrible exam. Thermo better than fluids for me though but it was a pathetic exam - but the legend that is Frank Coton spoke to me.:

"You can keep your paper"

Wow!

An A1 :O

I hate you!

Haha - we have good notes :P

Latest