The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Nursing to medicine

I am a prospective mental health nursing student, getting ready for uni this September 2023, however I am also now interested in medicine. I do CTECH health and social care level 3 (equivalent to 2 subjects) and get distinctions and for A level psychology I am predicted an A or B. How do I go about maybe studying medicine. Is there a possibility of this, Could I do it after my nursing degree? Do I study it as an undergraduate course or post grad? What are possible ways could I transition? Thank you
-mina :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mina29
I am a prospective mental health nursing student, getting ready for uni this September 2023, however I am also now interested in medicine. I do CTECH health and social care level 3 (equivalent to 2 subjects) and get distinctions and for A level psychology I am predicted an A or B. How do I go about maybe studying medicine. Is there a possibility of this, Could I do it after my nursing degree? Do I study it as an undergraduate course or post grad? What are possible ways could I transition? Thank you
-mina :smile:

Hello, Medicine is highly competitive if you want to study it at undergraduate level then you would need A-levels in both Biology and Chemistry and really good gcses grades like minimum 5 GCSES's grade 7-9 which will include maths , English and science gcses. Some Universities will allow you into medicine without needing both Biology and Chemistry A-level however I would recommend you study both biology and chemistry or either one of them as medicine is extremely difficult and to have a basic foundation in a medicine degree biology and/or chemistry would be vital. Also do bare in mind that a number of universities require the UCAT or BMAT as an entrance exams and you would need to perform pretty decently in them. As for postgraduate medicine idk too much about that but I have heard its even more competitive than Undergraduate medicine as there is fewer spaces and more applicants applying for postgraduate medicine than undergraduate medicine. You could do a postgraduate in medicine after your nursing degree if you meet the entry requirements ( look at specific university requirements) however still highly competitive. I would also like to add if you want to pursue medicine for the financial prospects you may gain I would recommend not pursing it only do medicine if you have a desire or actual passion for the subject otherwise I would do something else or stick with nursing ( with nursing you are almost certainly guaranteed a job after university as its quite high in demand currently due to the shortage of nurses currently ).
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest