The Student Room Group

Is a 2:2 degree (comp sci) even worth it?

I'm in my final year of university, and tbh its been an uphill battle right from the start of second year. I'm on track for a 2:2 at best, I average at like 50-60 marks per assignment, and I'm worried that going to uni at all was worth it with that grade, alot of people in comp sci are self taught or take bootcamps etc. I'm also the first in my immediate family to go to uni at all, the oldest child, in council housing with parent's, there's alot of pressure on me to do well. as I also have no experiance (outside of some WordPress for some local company lol), best I can do after uni is whip up some personal projects and hope for the best. I went because of the potential to earn and because I love to code, but I see my peers, clearly up for a first, and I can't help but think maybe I chose the wrong decision in my position, maybe I aimed to high?
Reply 1
I also want to say that before this I had excelled in BTEC computer science with Ds, but I failed my GCSE maths and English with 3s multiple times (I am a native English speaker), god knows how I managed to get into uni in the first place
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm in my final year of university, and tbh its been an uphill battle right from the start of second year. I'm on track for a 2:2 at best, I average at like 50-60 marks per assignment, and I'm worried that going to uni at all was worth it with that grade, alot of people in comp sci are self taught or take bootcamps etc. I'm also the first in my immediate family to go to uni at all, the oldest child, in council housing with parent's, there's alot of pressure on me to do well. as I also have no experiance (outside of some WordPress for some local company lol), best I can do after uni is whip up some personal projects and hope for the best. I went because of the potential to earn and because I love to code, but I see my peers, clearly up for a first, and I can't help but think maybe I chose the wrong decision in my position, maybe I aimed to high?

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that it has been a challenge at uni.

What kind of career would you like to pursue after your degree?

In my opinion, getting your degree is one thing and getting a job is another. When I have been in interviews or looking for jobs there is a lot of emphasis on experience and familiarity with the area that I am applying for.

You may have already thought of or are doing some of these things but here are some things you could consider to help boost your employability:

Get a Linkedin profile and network with people in your local area/connect with others in a field you are interested in to see what people get up to so you have a better understanding of what you might want to do.

There may be some virtual internships/placements and jobs you could apply for as you enjoy coding, a remote job would be feasible (I think - do correct me if im wrong!)

Any work experience including retail work or volunteering would help show some soft skills such as communication, team work, independence etc. It does not have to be related to your future career or degree in any way!

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the year. If you are struggling academically do you have someone at university that can help you like a tutor or lecturer? They also might be able to help with ideas to help boost employability.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

I would say that no matter what grade you secure at the end of your degree, it is still worth it. It may surprise you but it is quite possible to secure good employment with a 2:2. Most employers if anything are more concerned with whether or not an individual can perform in the role they are hiring for. For technical roles like your course of study, simply having a degree in it shows that you are capable of performing the job. The next thing would then be your experience and also a portfolio in your case. I would recommend, like others have said, creating a LinkedIn account and doing your best to present yourself as an individual who would be a valuable addition to a team.
You would also benefit from doing any form of part-time work and in your job application, you could highlight the transferable skills you got from that experience that is relevant to your role.

It is also important for your sector that you have a good portfolio of projects that you have worked on. It does not have to be anything necessarily difficult but showing you have the dedication to put in the work in creating these projects also leaves a good impression on employers.

I would like to encourage you to not feel because of your circumstances or grades that you won't be able to achieve great things or secure good employment. A lot of companies take mitigating and social circumstances in their employment process.

Goodluck with everything.

Lancaster University Student Ambassador,
Glory.

Goodluck

Hello.

Firstly, congratulations for getting this far, University can truly be difficult at times, especially if you feel you are not performing your best. But I would say, keep going. I am also the first in my family to go to university so I understand the pressure, but think of this, It is your last year, You have time to see where you may improve, speak to tutors, talk to friends, watch tutorials. Never compare yourself to your peers, only you can perform to the best of your ability. Think about the end, your graduation, all the hard times will have been worth it. You have got this, keep going.

All the best,
Hassa, Liverpool Hope University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending