The Student Room Group

uni

hi so i’ve already done my gcse’s and now im only my a levels. i’d love to become a psychiatrist and study it at uni, but i did not take chem or biol as an A level, i did triple science as a gcse, and i do study medical science as an a level so would this be enough? or do i NEED a chem and biology a level
Reply 1
im not sure exactly whether you need them since psychology is not my area haha, but i think mostly you should be okay especially if you study psychology as an a level. I'd check on some of the university course pages, preferably ones you plan to apply to and check what entry requirements they have. There's always the possibility of doing a foundation year since those are there for people who don't meet subject/grade requirements :smile:
Original post by ameliaelisse
hi so i’ve already done my gcse’s and now im only my a levels. i’d love to become a psychiatrist and study it at uni, but i did not take chem or biol as an A level, i did triple science as a gcse, and i do study medical science as an a level so would this be enough? or do i NEED a chem and biology a level

Hi @ameliaelisse,

From what I’m getting here your goal is to be a psychiatrist.

The typical route for this is to study Medicine [5 years] at university. However another route that may be better suited for your current qualifications and subjects is to complete a degree (e.g. psychology) and then apply for an accelerated medical graduate route [3 years (degree 1 + 4 years medicine].
The rest of your journey to being a psychiatrist would be the same.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance.

Best wishes,
Kaprice R (3rd Year - Forensic Science)
LSBU Student Rep
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi @ameliaelisse,

From what I’m getting here your goal is to be a psychiatrist.

The typical route for this is to study Medicine [5 years] at university. However another route that may be better suited for your current qualifications and subjects is to complete a degree (e.g. psychology) and then apply for an accelerated medical graduate route [3 years (degree 1 + 4 years medicine].
The rest of your journey to being a psychiatrist would be the same.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance.

Best wishes,
Kaprice R (3rd Year - Forensic Science)
LSBU Student Rep

To add on to this, the 4 year graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive all over the UK, with lots of different admissions test for diff unis. Unless you do an access degree that will progress you onto medicine if you meet the criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest