The Student Room Group

Career opportunities without BPS accredited degree

Hello , as an international student , can I practice in UK with a non accredited degree in child or developmental psychology as a child psychologist or trainee? Or its absolutely compulsory to have BPS accredited degree to work in the field of mental health in UK?
Original post by Diyadd99
Hello , as an international student , can I practice in UK with a non accredited degree in child or developmental psychology as a child psychologist or trainee? Or its absolutely compulsory to have BPS accredited degree to work in the field of mental health in UK?

If you studied a non BPS accredited degree in the UK, then you cannot practice in any way, shape or form as a psychologist of any kind, although I assume you could do a BPS accredited conversion course and then the psychological doors will be open to you.

If you did your degree abroad though, it's a bit different. The BPS doesn't accredit degrees from other countries but you can apply for membership of the BPS anyway and they'll quiz you on your degree and do their own research to see if they'll grant you membership, and if they do, you can be a psychologist.

P.S.: Note though that in the UK you cannot become a psychologist right after your undergraduate. There is always more studying and training involved after you finish the degree.

P.P.S.: there will be certain jobs for which you don't need a psychology degree to work in mental health. You can be a mental health nurse, for example, but that requires a nursing degree or an apprenticeship. Some therapists can practice by the means of taking courses other than psychology. But there are many many many jobs and routes and things so I suggest you go do your own research, starting here: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/psychological-therapies/roles-psychological-therapies
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
If you studied a non BPS accredited degree in the UK, then you cannot practice in any way, shape or form as a psychologist of any kind, although I assume you could do a BPS accredited conversion course and then the psychological doors will be open to you.

If you did your degree abroad though, it's a bit different. The BPS doesn't accredit degrees from other countries but you can apply for membership of the BPS anyway and they'll quiz you on your degree and do their own research to see if they'll grant you membership, and if they do, you can be a psychologist.

P.S.: Note though that in the UK you cannot become a psychologist right after your undergraduate. There is always more studying and training involved after you finish the degree.

P.P.S.: there will be certain jobs for which you don't need a psychology degree to work in mental health. You can be a mental health nurse, for example, but that requires a nursing degree or an apprenticeship. Some therapists can practice by the means of taking courses other than psychology. But there are many many many jobs and routes and things so I suggest you go do your own research, starting here: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/psychological-therapies/roles-psychological-therapies
Thankyou so much

Quick Reply

Latest