The Student Room Group

Customisation option for homepage widget order

Problem Summary
Customisation option for homepage widget order

Problem Details
Each widget on the homepage is fairly unitary in shape and layout. This should make it fairly straightforward to change the order of the widgets on the back end I would guess.

Therefore, can a customisation feature exist so that users can re-order the position of the widgets on their home page:
- Watched (with topics selected as default)
- For You
- Follow members

Device
Mobile

Browser
Chrome

Link
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

Additional Information
(edited 3 months ago)
God yes
Problem Summary
Irrelevant cards on mytsr

Problem Details
I’m getting these on mytsr.

I’m pretty sure I haven’t indicated anywhere that I intend to apply to university so the orange card seems poorly targeted

As for the app. I am well aware it exists and have no intention of using it - seems like a “did you know” card should have a x/dismiss option to make it go away once it’s been seen?

Device
Mobile

Browser
Safari

Link

Additional Information
Posting screenshots in a mo
IMG_6797.jpeg
No. No I’m not
IMG_6798.jpeg
Yes. Yes I did.
Hi @04MR17, thanks for letting us know what features you would like to see on the site.

We’re currently exploring ways to enhance The Student Room experience for our community. While I can’t promise an immediate timeline, all suggestions are seriously considered.

I’ll keep you updated on any developments. If you have any further suggestions or ideas, please don't hesitate to reach out.
FYI @PQ - I've merged your request with this existing one as they seem to be roughly the same thing.
Original post by dinosaurchef
FYI @PQ - I've merged your request with this existing one as they seem to be roughly the same thing.

For what it's worth, I disagree with PQ on the positioning on that big box and would happily keep it. So a customisation option for established users to remove it if they choose would be the best outcome for all.

Hi @04MR17, thanks for letting us know what features you would like to see on the site.

We’re currently exploring ways to enhance The Student Room experience for our community. While I can’t promise an immediate timeline, all suggestions are seriously considered.

I’ll keep you updated on any developments. If you have any further suggestions or ideas, please don't hesitate to reach out.

I've been on this website long enough now, if you think the answer to this feature request is a likely no, please just share that. If you think the answer is "not this year, but maybe next" then just tell me. I don't care what the answer is so long as it reads genuinely. In the past TSR did a lot of "fobbing off" answers to people with concerns and questions. I'm not saying for one minute that this is what you are doing but I would rather be told no than have a vague response implying it will happen but with no indication as to when.

If you want more of my thoughts on clear communication I'd be happy to talk via PM or email.
Original post by 04MR17
For what it's worth, I disagree with PQ on the positioning on that big box and would happily keep it. So a customisation option for established users to remove it if they choose would be the best outcome for all.

I've been on this website long enough now, if you think the answer to this feature request is a likely no, please just share that. If you think the answer is "not this year, but maybe next" then just tell me. I don't care what the answer is so long as it reads genuinely. In the past TSR did a lot of "fobbing off" answers to people with concerns and questions. I'm not saying for one minute that this is what you are doing but I would rather be told no than have a vague response implying it will happen but with no indication as to when.

If you want more of my thoughts on clear communication I'd be happy to talk via PM or email.

:ditto: except for me you don’t even need to give me a timeframe, just tell me whether my suggestions will happen or not full stop.

I wouldn’t say they are. The cards seem like adverts/promotions that should be dismissable after viewing - they’re like internal adverts for bits of TSR that we might not know about…but that some of us do.

Customising the order of displayed feeds/watched/followed is a different matter
Hey hey, so customising the homepage (hiding cards that aren't relevant and/or changing the order in which widgets appear) is something we wanted to do - so it's good to know that's something you would want as well.

In terms of timeframes, I'm being vague because I can't really say right now TBH.

I guess the most transparent I can be on it is:

We think it's a good idea and do want to do it

It won't be within the next couple of months

Maybe middle of the year or a bit later?! 🤷

Hey hey, so customising the homepage (hiding cards that aren't relevant and/or changing the order in which widgets appear) is something we wanted to do - so it's good to know that's something you would want as well.

In terms of timeframes, I'm being vague because I can't really say right now TBH.

I guess the most transparent I can be on it is:

We think it's a good idea and do want to do it

It won't be within the next couple of months

Maybe middle of the year or a bit later?! 🤷

That's much clearer thank you, I appreciate the extra confirmation that this is planned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending