The Student Room Group

ASNC Applicants for 2024 entry?

Did anyone else apply this year?? (Cambridge)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vengefulsea

Just saw this, yes! I applied for ASNC at Trinity, which college did you apply to? I know a couple other applicants who I met at a Summer school, who applied to St Catz and Corpus, and there were two at my interview in Trin too. The wait to find out if I get an offer is killing me! I applied to Winchester for Medieval History, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic Studies and History at Aberdeen, History at Exeter, and Viking and Old Norse Studies at UCL - all of which I have offers from. I like the Germanic history side over the Celtic, so would like to take the Anglo-Saxon, Old English, Scandinavian, and Old Norse papers and I love manuscripts so Palaeography too!
Reply 2
Original post by bocwyrm
Just saw this, yes! I applied for ASNC at Trinity, which college did you apply to? I know a couple other applicants who I met at a Summer school, who applied to St Catz and Corpus, and there were two at my interview in Trin too. The wait to find out if I get an offer is killing me! I applied to Winchester for Medieval History, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic Studies and History at Aberdeen, History at Exeter, and Viking and Old Norse Studies at UCL - all of which I have offers from. I like the Germanic history side over the Celtic, so would like to take the Anglo-Saxon, Old English, Scandinavian, and Old Norse papers and I love manuscripts so Palaeography too!

omgg finally someone! nice to meet you! i did open application and was allocated churchill college! do u have somewhere else i can contact u or do u want to keep it here ? i just want to know someone else who’s applied for my top choices too😭
Reply 3
omgg finally someone! nice to meet you! i did open application and was allocated churchill college! do u have somewhere else i can contact u or do u want to keep it here ? i just want to know someone else who’s applied for my top choices too😭

Of course, pm me and I'll contact you 🙂 I'm glad to have met someone else like me
Reply 4
Original post by bocwyrm
Of course, pm me and I'll contact you 🙂 I'm glad to have met someone else like me

won’t let me pm 😓 do u want me to just drop my insta
Reply 5
Yeah wouldn't let me either, mine is @ ladyofwessex !!
Reply 6

I applied for the ASNC MPhil. Now I am gnashing my teeth as I wait.
Reply 7
Original post by sashik

oooo best of luck! what did you study before this?
Reply 8
Original post by sashik

Good luck!!
Reply 9
Omg hi! I applied for ASNC at Clare, but they only accept one or two students a year so I'm going crazy waiting till the 24th. How's everyone feeling?
Reply 10
Original post by narcreek
Omg hi! I applied for ASNC at Clare, but they only accept one or two students a year so I'm going crazy waiting till the 24th. How's everyone feeling?

Hang in there! I'm in the same boat for the MPhil, oscillating between "omg, it's going to happen" and "the no effing way it's going to happen."
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 11
oooo best of luck! what did you study before this?

I have a BA in Psychology and an MBA... from 20 years ago. Having spent these years in high tech, it is nerve-wrecking to switch to academia, let alone a highly selective program like ASNC.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by sashik
I have a BA in Psychology and an MBA... from 20 years ago. Having spent these years in high tech, it is nerve-wracking to switch to academia, let alone a highly selective program like ASNC.

I'm sure they'll see your passion for the subject and completely understand the switch! Absolute best of luck, the ASNC postgraduate community seems lovely.
Reply 13
Original post by sashik
Hang in there! I'm in the same boat for the MPhil, oscillating between "omg, it's going to happen" and "the effing way it's going to happen."

hey! did it happen ????
Reply 14
hey! did it happen ????

Yes!!! Thank for checking in.

I got the offer last week. Still can’t believe it! Now waiting for Caius to accept and for the PAO to clear my conditions. 😬

Are you already planning the move? I found the timeline of ASNC courses and filled out a sample weekly calendar to help plan study times. Too early but OCD got the better of me.
Reply 15
Original post by sashik
Yes!!! Thank for checking in.

I got the offer last week. Still can’t believe it! Now waiting for Caius to accept and for the PAO to clear my conditions. 😬

Are you already planning the move? I found the timeline of ASNC courses and filled out a sample weekly calendar to help plan study times. Too early but OCD got the better of me.

omg so happy for u !! same, i'm still in shock, but the panic has definitely set in for a level revision...
i havent even considered planning yet, but i did go up to cambridge for the first time on the weekend, as i wanted to see if it would be the right place for me, and i really loved it.
Reply 16
omg so happy for u !! same, i'm still in shock, but the panic has definitely set in for a level revision...
i havent even considered planning yet, but i did go up to cambridge for the first time on the weekend, as i wanted to see if it would be the right place for me, and i really loved it.

I am not familiar with a level revision but it sounds like something to give one a heartburn. You’re already accepted, everything will fall into its place!

I’d love to hear more about Cambridge. Did you get to visit your college?
Reply 17
Original post by sashik
I am not familiar with a level revision but it sounds like something to give one a heartburn. You’re already accepted, everything will fall into its place!

I’d love to hear more about Cambridge. Did you get to visit your college?

a-levels are the exact reason why everything may not fall into place! its the exams we do in england before undergrad degrees, cambridge give a conditional offer and you need to hit certain grades to be accepted after these exams.

and yes i visited my college!! i was put in Murray Edwards, and its really lovely there, i definitely appreciated it being slightly out of the centre, and it seemed like a place i would be happy in and able to work well. as a whole, cambridge is stunning and just seems really perfect for students. there is a lot to do in the area (and lots of great places to eat) and so many places to work, which to be honest i hadn't seen in some other unis i looked at. the museums there were also super cool!! definitely check them out when you go !!
Reply 18
Hey, I'm also an offer holder for the ASNC MPhil. I've never actually been to Cambridge, so once I know my college I'll come and visit for a weekend. Still need to finish my undergrad now which feels weird lol.
Reply 19
Original post by Fraech
Hey, I'm also an offer holder for the ASNC MPhil. I've never actually been to Cambridge, so once I know my college I'll come and visit for a weekend. Still need to finish my undergrad now which feels weird lol.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Which aspect of ASNC are you going to study? I will be focusing on Insular palaeography and codicology with a healthy dose of AS history.
I hope you find out about the college soon! I’ve been waiting for two weeks now and have no clue if I should worry or chill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending