The Student Room Group

I hate and love UNI

I've always wanted to go to UNI, I loved reading academic books, especially on Economics and I really believed going to UNI would be soo satisfying as it would fill my curiosity and whatnot. Instead, so far, after almost every test and essay, I feel like I'm being filled with so much anxiety each term that it almost feels like it's doubling as I progress.

I love the lecturers and Tutors, it fills me great joy to have conversations with really intelligent people, and it's even more exciting that a famous economist is teaching us. But so far I have made a few mistakes like citing wrongly and now I have the worst fear that I may have plagiarised and will be heavily punished for it. This is in addition to the fact that I'm seriously believing I have ADHD but because of the NHS's long waiting hours and extremely expensive private healthcare, I feel so lost and defeated that I'm not getting the help I need. As a result, I'm suffering some academic failures and I hate to admit it, but maybe even depression which I absolutely hate. I don't know if I still regret going to UNI because genuinely, the course is so fun and interesting, it's just when it comes to essays and quizzes I feel so horrible.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've always wanted to go to UNI, I loved reading academic books, especially on Economics and I really believed going to UNI would be soo satisfying as it would fill my curiosity and whatnot. Instead, so far, after almost every test and essay, I feel like I'm being filled with so much anxiety each term that it almost feels like it's doubling as I progress.

I love the lecturers and Tutors, it fills me great joy to have conversations with really intelligent people, and it's even more exciting that a famous economist is teaching us. But so far I have made a few mistakes like citing wrongly and now I have the worst fear that I may have plagiarised and will be heavily punished for it. This is in addition to the fact that I'm seriously believing I have ADHD but because of the NHS's long waiting hours and extremely expensive private healthcare, I feel so lost and defeated that I'm not getting the help I need. As a result, I'm suffering some academic failures and I hate to admit it, but maybe even depression which I absolutely hate. I don't know if I still regret going to UNI because genuinely, the course is so fun and interesting, it's just when it comes to essays and quizzes I feel so horrible.

Whilst it's not going to eliminate your anxiety, I recommend reading How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin. It essentially shows how to get a 1st class. The only other thing that you would need to include is to add critical thinking in your essay.

By the way, I think you gave enough away to give us an idea of which uni you are studying at.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Whilst it's not going to eliminate your anxiety, I recommend reading How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin. It essentially shows how to get a 1st class. The only other thing that you would need to include is to add critical thinking in your essay.

By the way, I think you gave enough away to give us an idea of which uni you are studying at.

Thanks, I'll look into that book and lmao, what UNI do you think it is then? There are many famous economists at UK UNIs.
Thanks, I'll look into that book and lmao, what UNI do you think it is then? There are many famous economists at UK UNIs.

Not Cambridge as they are not called Tutors. Not Oxford as you said you had lots of tests. Maybe LSE/Kings/UCL?

Hi,

If you are getting anxious with referencing correctly there are websites online to help you with referencing. You pick what type of format your referring (book, article or journal) and what reference style (Harvard, APA, MLA). then you can then search up the name of the book or article and if the website can find it, it automatically fills out the information. JUST REMEMBER TO CHECK WHAT IT HAS FOUND as it's not always correct. It then generate an in text and a citation for you to use. if the website can't find the book or article you can manually site it but it will still come up with the fields you need to enter like the authors name, date of paper etc.

This is the website I use to use to generate my citations for me when I was at uni. https://www.citethisforme.com.
I had the same worries in uni when it came to referencing work and thinking that I might accidentally not include something and then get in trouble for plagiarising but this website really helped me with referencing and knowing I'm doing it correctly.

I am not sure what process your uni uses but mine used turnitin and once I submitted an assignment it came up with a percentage of what it thought was plagiarised work. This meant I could then go back and check what its flagged and see if it there was anything I forgot to reference and as long as I did this before the assignment was due I could mend mistakes I made and resubmit it. This was a very helpful and gave me a piece of mind that the work I submitted I hadn't made a plagiarism mistake. When you hand In assignments does it do the same?

I hope this helps 🙂
Louise - The University of Wolverhampton

Challenge accepted. Of course, I am speculating at the end of the day and you're not likely going to say where you're studying, so it's kind of redundant to ask.

Let's just entertain the idea though.

"I've always wanted to go to UNI, I loved reading academic books, especially on Economics and I really believed going to UNI would be soo satisfying as it would fill my curiosity and whatnot. Instead, so far, after almost every test and essay, I feel like I'm being filled with so much anxiety each term that it almost feels like it's doubling as I progress."
Typical signs of an intelligent person - high anxiety, like books, curious. Note the grammar and language used.
From the way it's written, it implies you're in your first year. Also, it's usually only the top unis that require frequent tests and essays 3 months into the academic year, so we're not exactly talking about a low ranking uni here.

If we assume that you're intelligent enough to land a place at a top 10 uni for economics: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/blog/top-10-unis-to-study-economics
We can safely say you should be within the top 6:
From the way you have phrased your paragraph, it sounds like a joint economics degree. So from the above, we can safely eliminate Cambridge from the list.
LSE is also known for its extremely long list of joint economics degrees. If you didn't say "especially", I would have left it in the list, but since you did I can be confident that it isn't part of the list.
UCL only offers 2 degrees in economics, and neither of them are joint.
That leaves:
"I love the lecturers and Tutors,...it's even more exciting that a famous economist is teaching us...but because of the NHS's long waiting hours and extremely expensive private healthcare, ...some academic failures and I hate to admit it, but maybe even depression which I absolutely hate....because genuinely, the course is so fun and interesting, it's just when it comes to essays and quizzes I feel so horrible."
Then we have the following hypotheses:

The language that you have employed almost implies that you went to a private school.

The use of capitalising "Tutors" as opposed to using "tutors" imply they have a significance and this is an actual title, not a casual phrase to use even though I am not ruling out you could have done this by mistake. However, it's also not that common to refer to people leading seminars as tutors, since we can often refer to them as lecturers i.e. you have tutorials and only 2 unis in the country offers tutorials.

The stress on "academic failures" also imply that the institution you attend stresses excellence on academic excellence.

Taught by a famous economist - whilst it's true that there's more than one famous economist (and you didn't mentioned the name) that teaches at UK universities, not many of them teach at lower ranking universities. Also, in all likelihood, it's not likely a typical famous economist would completely relocate to somewhere remote unless there are a lot of perks that come with the job or the university has very high global rankings (or at least is well known with a certain pedigree).

Essays and quizzes - not that many universities issue quizzes on a frequent basis, especially for the first year of uni

Extremely expensive private healthcare - whilst it can be said that anything deemed expensive is relative to the perspective of the customer, we can almost say that there's usually some sort of standard or benchmark that we can refer to when considering things expensive i.e. whilst even millionaires can afford certain things, even they can agree something is expensive compared to the average Joe. In which case, we can safely assume that the high expenses can partly be attributed to location or a locale with high net worth individuals.

So based on the above, we can more or less narrow things down to 1 university:

Whilst I am not saying the above is absolutely correct (no deduction is) and neither am I expecting you to give me the direct answer, I would be interested to hear which of the above assumptions have I got wrong if they are.
Original post by Anonymous #3
Not Cambridge as they are not called Tutors. Not Oxford as you said you had lots of tests. Maybe LSE/Kings/UCL?

That's interesting that you say that. I might come to the wrong conclusion then.
Reply 7
Challenge accepted. Of course, I am speculating at the end of the day and you're not likely going to say where you're studying, so it's kind of redundant to ask.

"I've always wanted to go to UNI, I loved reading academic books, especially on Economics and I really believed going to UNI would be soo satisfying as it would fill my curiosity and whatnot. Instead, so far, after almost every test and essay, I feel like I'm being filled with so much anxiety each term that it almost feels like it's doubling as I progress."
Typical signs of an intelligent person - high anxiety, like books, curious. Note the grammar and language used.
From the way it's written, it implies you're in your first year. Also, it's usually only the top unis that require frequent tests and essays 3 months into the academic year, so we're not exactly talking about a low ranking uni here.

If we assume that you're intelligent enough to land a place at a top 10 uni for economics: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/blog/top-10-unis-to-study-economics
From the way you have phrased your paragraph, it sounds like a joint economics degree. So from the above, we can safely eliminate Cambridge from the list.
LSE is also known for its extremely long list of joint economics degrees. If you didn't say "especially", I would have left it in the list, but since you did I can be confident that it isn't part of the list.
That leaves:
"I love the lecturers and Tutors,...it's even more exciting that a famous economist is teaching us...but because of the NHS's long waiting hours and extremely expensive private healthcare, ...some academic failures and I hate to admit it, but maybe even depression which I absolutely hate....because genuinely, the course is so fun and interesting, it's just when it comes to essays and quizzes I feel so horrible."

The language that you have employed almost implies that you went to a private school.

The use of capitalising "Tutors" as opposed to using "tutors" imply they have a significance and this is an actual title, not a casual phrase to use even though I am not ruling out you could have done this by mistake. However, it's also not that common to refer to people leading seminars as tutors, since we can often refer to them as lecturers i.e. you have tutorials and only 2 unis in the country offers tutorials.

The stress on "academic failures" also imply that the institution you attend stresses excellence on academic excellence.

Taught by a famous economist - whilst it's true that there's more than one famous economist (and you didn't mentioned the name) that teaches at UK universities, not many of them teach at lower ranking universities. Also, in all likelihood, it's not likely a typical famous economist would completely relocate to somewhere remote unless there are a lot of perks that come with the job or the university has very high global rankings (or at least is well known with a certain pedigree).

Essays and quizzes - not that many universities issue quizzes on a frequent basis, especially for the first year of uni

Extremely expensive private healthcare - whilst it can be said that anything deemed expensive is relative to the perspective of the customer, we can almost say that there's usually some sort of standard or benchmark that we can refer to when considering things expensive i.e. whilst even millionaires can afford certain things, even they can agree something is expensive compared to the average Joe. In which case, we can safely assume that the high expenses can partly be attributed to location or a locale with high net worth individuals.

Whilst I am not saying the above is absolutely correct (no deduction is) and neither am I expecting you to give me the direct answer, I would be interested to hear which of the above assumptions have I got wrong if they are.

LMAO I LOVE THIS! I am absolutely flattered that you really believe I go to Oxford lol I WISH! Unfortunately, you are 100% wrong on all of your deductions but it was gr8 reading all of that. I actually don't mind telling everyone about the UNI I am studying at but let's just say that the one and only Professor Ha Joon Chang is teaching there. Even I was surprised at first when I learned he would be teaching at a not-so-famous London UNI. Nevertheless, it's an honour to be taught by him.
Reply 8

My eldest went through a period like this in second year. She did not go and get the help she needed and her second year suffered as a result. First things first, get an appointment at the doctors and get yourself on the radar. Also get in contact with your supervisor and tell them as well. Perhaps theres something they can help you with the the citations and how to go about them in the right way.

She couldnt go for extentuating circumstances on her year 2 exams because she failed to go to the docs. By year three, her physical health improved, as well as her living situation and mental health improved and she aced year 3. But she really wished that she should have said something in second year still.
Reply 9

That leaves:

sigh

I work in an Econ Dept and because of this, I'm frequently in touch with a million other people from other Econ depts all over the country, and loads (and I really mean loads) test weekly or bi-weekly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending