The Student Room Group

Uni social life

Hi,I’m currently in year 13 and have an offer at SOAS to study law next year.However i’m struggling to find much about the university and when i do some say they love it and some say they hate it.However something i can’t seem to find is how the social life is? This would be a big factor for me choosing it or going to my other offers like :city uni of london or birmingham.
Could someone give me there honest opinion
Thanks
Hi there,

I'm a student at Coventry University studying Law. If you want to study Law, firstly, you have to bare in mind that there is a lot to read. This includes reading textbooks, journal articles, reading and analysing cases and legislation. If you hate reading, you may find Law boring. I in fact dislike reading unless of course a topic piques my interest. So it really depends.

When trying to balance my social life and studies, it's not easy for me as I commute from home and the journey takes about an hour. Furthermore, the concept of Law was extremely alien to me and unlike others, I would take a few weeks to understand one topic. This made it difficult to hang out with my friends. However, it eventually got a lot better as I started to reading more textbooks and articles. It was also helpful to rewatch the recorded lecture videos, although academic staffs are slowly beginning to stop recording their lectures. I met many amazing peers who would also be going through the same issue so we would hang out in a library and study together, which was quite comforting. But every now and then I made sure I do treat myself and relax my mind. I would meet my friends from secondary school and hang out in Birmingham.
It was easier to find time during my first and second year but I hardly have any time in my third year at the moment. But overall, my uni life, which is almost coming to an end, has been relatively decent. I don't regret coming to uni. After all, it's an experience (an expensive experience 😂) which I probably won't be able to undertake again.

I hope this helps. I apologise if I went off on a tangent and waffled.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending