The Student Room Group

Kent English Law and French Law course cancelled

I got an offer two weeks ago for Kent's English and French Law LLB course, but got an email today saying that they are cancelling the course for 2024/25 intake and I will have to be transferred onto a different course. I don't understand how they can do this after they have started giving offers and why this decision wasn't taken before applications opened.
I'm really stuck now as I'm applying for 3 straight Law courses (Oxford, Southampton, UEA) and 2 English and French Law courses (Exeter, Kent), with the intention of putting one straight law course and one eng&fr law course as my firm and insurance. I applied to Kent as my backup eng&fr law course in case Exeter rejected me, but now I no longer have that option. Is there anything I can do?
If they’re cancelling the course then they should be able to contact UCAS on your behalf to allow you to substitute the choice for another university that does still offer that course.
Original post by jklaww
I got an offer two weeks ago for Kent's English and French Law LLB course, but got an email today saying that they are cancelling the course for 2024/25 intake and I will have to be transferred onto a different course. I don't understand how they can do this after they have started giving offers and why this decision wasn't taken before applications opened.
I'm really stuck now as I'm applying for 3 straight Law courses (Oxford, Southampton, UEA) and 2 English and French Law courses (Exeter, Kent), with the intention of putting one straight law course and one eng&fr law course as my firm and insurance. I applied to Kent as my backup eng&fr law course in case Exeter rejected me, but now I no longer have that option. Is there anything I can do?

Hi there @jklaww

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I understand that this situation is upsetting and stressful.
You mentioned an email about transferring to a different course, have you been informed what these options are?

If you are yet to hear about this, I would recommend getting in contact with Kent Law School's Admissions team via [email protected] or +44 (0)1227 768896 during the opening hours.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
If you end up doing straight law at Oxford there will be an opportunity for you to switch to law with French law after mods (exams at the end of second term)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there @jklaww

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I understand that this situation is upsetting and stressful.
You mentioned an email about transferring to a different course, have you been informed what these options are?

If you are yet to hear about this, I would recommend getting in contact with Kent Law School's Admissions team via [email protected] or +44 (0)1227 768896 during the opening hours.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

My options are transferring to the standard Law course, another course offered by the law school, or a different course altogether. It’s so frustrating as the reason I chose Kent was its optionality in where I could study French law and now I’ve lost my backup French law option altogether when I’d already gotten an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Username123ab
If you end up doing straight law at Oxford there will be an opportunity for you to switch to law with French law after mods (exams at the end of second term)

Thanks for this information - do you know how fluent you are expected to be if you transfer after mods or if there are assessments required to transfer? Or is it just A-level grade? I’m predicted an A in French, but the main reason I didn’t apply for French Law at Oxford is that I assumed the expectation was to have pretty much native fluency and I wouldn’t be fluent enough to do the interviews/assessments required.
Original post by jklaww
Thanks for this information - do you know how fluent you are expected to be if you transfer after mods or if there are assessments required to transfer? Or is it just A-level grade? I’m predicted an A in French, but the main reason I didn’t apply for French Law at Oxford is that I assumed the expectation was to have pretty much native fluency and I wouldn’t be fluent enough to do the interviews/assessments required.

There will be a 10 minute French interview but you are not expected to have native fluency. Out of my entire year group there is one girl who is a native speaker and the rest of us aren't. You need to be reasonably fluent so that you will be able to follow a degree level course there but I'd expect the requirement is probably the same as at other unis
Original post by jklaww
My options are transferring to the standard Law course, another course offered by the law school, or a different course altogether. It’s so frustrating as the reason I chose Kent was its optionality in where I could study French law and now I’ve lost my backup French law option altogether when I’d already gotten an offer.

UCAS rules mean Kent is obligated to provide you with assistance to substitute your choice to apply elsewhere. They have to ask UCAS for assistance with this (and so they will try to avoid it) but if they have cancelled the course you applied to then they have to enable you to change your choice to a different university.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
UCAS rules mean Kent is obligated to provide you with assistance to substitute your choice to apply elsewhere. They have to ask UCAS for assistance with this (and so they will try to avoid it) but if they have cancelled the course you applied to then they have to enable you to change your choice to a different university.

Does that mean I automatically get another offer or is it just applying to another uni?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by jklaww
Does that mean I automatically get another offer or is it just applying to another uni?

You can just substitute the choice for another university and course. Whether that university makes an offer or not is up to them.

If Kent has archived the course then you can do it now by ringing UCAS.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
You can just substitute the choice for another university and course. Whether that university makes an offer or not is up to them.

If Kent has archived the course then you can do it now by ringing UCAS.

Thanks.
The weird thing is I don’t think they’ve archived the course on UCAS - my offer still appears as normal with no updates and if you search for the course on the UCAS hub it still shows up, as well as saying they are accepting applications for the course on Kent‘s actual website.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by jklaww
Thanks.
The weird thing is I don’t think they’ve archived the course on UCAS - my offer still appears as normal with no updates and if you search for the course on the UCAS hub it still shows up, as well as saying they are accepting applications for the course on Kent‘s actual website.

Then you'll need to contact Kent and ask them when they'll archive the course so that you can substitute the choice :smile:
It's very naughty of them to close the course but leave the website and UCAS saying it's still open
Original post by jklaww
Thanks.

PQ is the expert on this, but might it not be worth contacting UCAS anyway in the meantime to see if they can help or can even chase Kent to archive the course. It’s very poor show of them to have done this. I personally wouldn’t want to apply to another course with them, I’d be looking to apply to another uni instead. Plenty do Law with French Law but is it you’re trying to spread the entrance grades required as I’m guessing Kent would have been on the lower side. Hope you get sorted asap but I’d definitely contact UCAS now.
Reply 13
Original post by BarryScott2022
PQ is the expert on this, but might it not be worth contacting UCAS anyway in the meantime to see if they can help or can even chase Kent to archive the course. It’s very poor show of them to have done this. I personally wouldn’t want to apply to another course with them, I’d be looking to apply to another uni instead. Plenty do Law with French Law but is it you’re trying to spread the entrance grades required as I’m guessing Kent would have been on the lower side. Hope you get sorted asap but I’d definitely contact UCAS now.

Yep, I’ve applied to Exeter for the same course already which has A*AA / AAA requirements and I’m looking for a lower entry req course (AAB ish) as a backup if Exeter reject me. I’ve messaged UCAS and they are checking the situation, but I’ll wait until I get back to school and discuss with our UCAS supervisor to see what she thinks I should do. Kent gave me a deadline of 21st Nov to decide so I have some time.
(edited 5 months ago)
Good you have time, it’s best not to rush these decisions if you do.
Reply 15
Quick update @PQ and @BarryScott2022 - thanks for your help, I’ve got in touch with UCAS and they say the course has been discontinued and I can call them to sub in a different choice. Will still wait though to figure out all my options.
Reply 16
Original post by jklaww
Quick update @PQ and @BarryScott2022 - thanks for your help, I’ve got in touch with UCAS and they say the course has been discontinued and I can call them to sub in a different choice. Will still wait though to figure out all my options.

From personal experience I wouldn’t encourage Kent if you are predicted A/B grades and above; you’re much better off putting down somewhere like Chester or Bangor as the Law schools there are very reputable as far as I’ve heard from people who have studied there and later gone on to complete PhD study etc. Kent sadly seems to have become much more of a B class university so I’m not surprised in the slightest that they have been somewhat misleading...😅definitely take time to think tho any decision is very important for choosing universities of course!!!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by jklaww

That’s great news.

Time to get researching other universities and possibilities.
Reply 18
Thank you for all of your help @PQ @BarryScott2022 - I’ve just called UCAS and have officially changed my application to Law with French Law at Birmingham.
Fingers crossed they don’t decide to cancel the course too lol.
Original post by jklaww
Thank you for all of your help @PQ @BarryScott2022 - I’ve just called UCAS and have officially changed my application to Law with French Law at Birmingham.
Fingers crossed they don’t decide to cancel the course too lol.

That’s great to know. Well done for sorting out and best of luck with your A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending