The Student Room Group

my gcse growth journey!

hey! i’m currently in year 10. in august last year, i decided to really take charge of my grades, before it was too late.

here, i’m going to post all of my results from exam waves, up until the end of year 11!

i hope it will serve as a source of reflection and inspiration to everyone <3

my grades were abysmal in year 9, i’m so glad i got a hold of myself:

art: 5+
biology: 6
chemistry: 6
computer science: 6
english lang/lit: 8-
french: 4
history: 7
maths: 4
pdc: 7
physics: 7-

these grades just don’t represent me! throughout the year i didn’t bother to study or even revise for tests..

autumn year 10 report scores:
art: 6
french: 4 :frown:(
history: 8
physics: 8
maths: 5
english language: 7
english literature: 8
computer science: 7
personal dev: 7
avg grade: 6.6. (7)

i was very pleased!

i had a new target: avg to a solid 7 (and above)

my most urgent subjects were:
french
maths
chemistry
art

most most urgent subject:
french

notes: i have already started to see a massive turnaround in my grades before the end of the year.
what did i change?
obviously, as this is the first time i’ve taken care of my studies, all of my habits have changed. i’m so pleased to have developed my own revision likes and dislikes. this roll of report grades alone have taught me that i’m actually not stupid. if i work hard enough, i fall within the top band in my classroom.
examples:
english- 1st (unrivalled)
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

i began to feel more and more confident in my grades. there was room for improvement but i could alter my routine a bit. i knew i was going to smash the next wave..

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)
best 8: 9,9,9,9,8,8,8,8

all 7-9’s?!? i am now so, so happy! after so much hard work and determination, i’m in the top >2% in my entire year (360)!!
my parents have noticed my change in attitude and are so impressed, as are my teachers and friends. but, most importantly, myself!

mocks are around the corner (mid april), so if you want i’ll keep you updated!

if you would like any revision tips, notes and exemplary essays, i’m more than happy to share them.

thanks for reading
!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What revision techniques did you use to get such good grades? Especially English but all the other ones too.
that's some amazing progress, so proud of you!!! currently doing A Level French, if you need any help or have questions, please ask!!
Reply 3
Hey I’ve noticed you’ve picked history, art and computing for GCSE’s, I’m picking next week and I was wondering how you find the combo? I was thinking of doing it but all the subjects are quite difficult I’ve heard so I wasn’t sure of taking all 3 together. Especially art, is it ok ?
Reply 4
Original post by EVIE2901
What revision techniques did you use to get such good grades? Especially English but all the other ones too.

to be honest, english has always come naturally to me.

but with that said, i feel like reading a lot as a hobby helps so much. it helps your vocab and comprehension. if you can, try past papers in lit/lang, for your teacher to mark. trust me, they’ll be so pleased to see your being proactive in your studies.

basically the same applies to everything else:
sciences and maths (past exam questions, past papers, lots of quizzes and blurting)
history (quizzes, note taking from videos and past papers)
language (FLASHCARDS! quizzes and past papers)

i’d say focus more intently on the subjects you’re not a natural at. then, you’ll realise it’s not so difficult anymore!

thanks for asking! hope this helps <3
Reply 5
Original post by erin11
that's some amazing progress, so proud of you!!! currently doing A Level French, if you need any help or have questions, please ask!!

will do! thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Addie13
Hey I’ve noticed you’ve picked history, art and computing for GCSE’s, I’m picking next week and I was wondering how you find the combo? I was thinking of doing it but all the subjects are quite difficult I’ve heard so I wasn’t sure of taking all 3 together. Especially art, is it ok ?

hey!
no one’s lying when they say art is difficult. however, you can make your life easier by being organised.
i think leaving your work to the last minute is what makes it stressful. i did this a year ago and fell with a five..
devote a day in the week (i would say weekend) to update your art book, whether its a research page or intentional art. keeping on top of your work and hitting all the objectives is bound to get you a 7+, no matter what.
the same pretty much applies to history. please to take the notes your teacher deems important !! to remember all those dates, try out bitesize quizzes and/or flashcards. practice 4 markers, 8 markers and 12 markers in your own time. send them to your teacher! you’ll get the feedback you need for a 7+ in an upcoming test. if you’re on top of everything, history is super easy.
lastly, for computer science, people who excelled in IT in year 8 were chosen to do computer science from year 9 onwards. my school does ocr j277. if you make effective notes and take quizzes to test your learning, you’ll find that it will be one of your easiest subjects! also, about 60% of paper 2 is coding. i’d say, code in your own time. this can be a really fun activity and you’ll become fluent in it.

once you’ve found the routine that fits your schedule, these subjects are NOT hard.

thanks for asking!
Reply 7
Original post by studytee
hey! i’m currently in year 10. in august last year, i decided to really take charge of my grades, before it was too late.

here, i’m going to post all of my results from exam waves, up until the end of year 11!

these grades just don’t represent me! throughout the year i didn’t bother to study or even revise for tests..

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

notes: i have already started to see a massive turnaround in my grades before the end of the year.
what did i change?
obviously, as this is the first time i’ve taken care of my studies, all of my habits have changed. i’m so pleased to have developed my own revision likes and dislikes. this roll of report grades alone have taught me that i’m actually not stupid. if i work hard enough, i fall within the top band in my classroom.
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

i began to feel more and more confident in my grades. there was room for improvement but i could alter my routine a bit. i knew i was going to smash the next wave..

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

all 7-9’s?!? i am now so, so happy! after so much hard work and determination, i’m in the top >2% in my entire year (360)!!
my parents have noticed my change in attitude and are so impressed, as are my teachers and friends. but, most importantly, myself!

if you would like any revision tips, notes and exemplary essays, i’m more than happy to share them.

thanks for reading
!!

Ah, hiya love, this is relativly new and I've just come across it. I'll be here fighting in your corner all the way through. Im just going to tag some people that might be interested.
@emm4nuella @study23! @AspiringSurvivor @kayleigh_t.27 @milktee @agent_duck343 @flowersinmyhair @heartz4moushi

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

what did i change?
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

thanks for reading
!!

please can you give us some tips
i feel like after a certain point i cant understand any more so tips would be very helpful, thank you
Wow you're improvement has been amazing. That takes loads of commitment and perseverance
good lukc for the rest oof your journey and I know you will do amazing in your GCSEs xx
it's so amazing to see such development within a year. i've just gottem my mock results and i was pleased to see that I've meet the targets i set myself when i sat my first mock exam back in december but my goal from now is to upgrade every single subject by at least 1 because then i would be in a good position:smile: it's so inspirational to see that hard work and never giving up and a change to attitude can go such a long way, well done!
Reply 11
You have done incredibly since you began, I have no doubt you will get all 7-9s in your summer exams too!!!
Can I ask what you did to improve in computer science? I'm quite passionate about this topic and would like to do better! I'm currently at a 6
Reply 13

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

what did i change?
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

thanks for reading
!!

ANOTHER GCSE GYG 🤞 welcomeee 🤍 and omg your progress is amazing, you should definitely be proud of yourself alongside everyone else who is, and i'm sure that if you keep up this motivation until summer, you'll ace your exams with all 9s 💪

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

what did i change?
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

thanks for reading
!!

Hi!

I absolutely love your determination and passion for your grades, it really shows in how much they've already improved! For languages, the best thing to do is just watching 15 minutes of a TV show in your target language (so French for you!) every day. You'll find that you can hear common words, learn the accent and even perhaps enjoy the show! Best of luck with everything :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by imco195506
Can I ask what you did to improve in computer science? I'm quite passionate about this topic and would like to do better! I'm currently at a 6

hey!
my grades jumped from a 6 to a 9 when i started watching ‘s1perry’ on youtube. he provides everything you need to know about cs, alongside questions for you to complete, especially with coding! if you make important notes on his videos the night before a test, expect at LEAST a grade 7.

thanks for asking!
Reply 16
Original post by niqabiforever21

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

what did i change?
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

thanks for reading
!!

please can you give us some tips
i feel like after a certain point i cant understand any more so tips would be very helpful, thank you

hey! i don’t think JUST sitting down and watching videos or reading is that beneficial. you just feel like you can’t get anything in. to really engage i think you should consider taking quizzes and doing worksheets and flashcards. that way, your brain is switched on and you can get feedback on what you’re missing.
a combination of both is bound to get you a strong grade.
thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by Yipiyap_Brooke

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

what did i change?
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

thanks for reading
!!

Hi!

I absolutely love your determination and passion for your grades, it really shows in how much they've already improved! For languages, the best thing to do is just watching 15 minutes of a TV show in your target language (so French for you!) every day. You'll find that you can hear common words, learn the accent and even perhaps enjoy the show! Best of luck with everything :smile:

will do! thank you so much!
Hi!

will do! thank you so much!no worries! good luck!

i was very pleased!

french
maths
chemistry
art

french

what did i change?
examples:
history- (joint) 1st
maths- 3rd (in my set)
science- 5th
art- 2nd
personal dev- 1st-2nd

………………………………………………….

WAVE TWO:

pre-christmas:
history- 8
comp sci- 8
english lang- 8
english lit- 9
pdc- 8
physics- 9
maths-5
art-6
chem- 6
bio- 7
french- 5

best 8- 8,8,8,9,8,9,7,6

WAVE THREE:

spring report:

art- 7
biology- 8
chemistry- 8
computer science- 9
english language- 8
english literature- 9
french- 7
history- 9
maths- 7
personal development- 8
physics- 9
(9999) (8888) (777)

thanks for reading
!!
Hey mate, congrats!
m looking to tutor for some side hustle, lmk if you or your mates need tutoring for lit, got a 9 myself!
help a friend out!
[email protected]
just shoot me a mail!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest