The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarship 2024 Y11s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by visula
The exam has already passed, but if possible, could you ask one of your students for tips during the interview? That'd be really useful for us, thanks :smile:
Be yourself, show your keenness and passion for engineering. Bring in your project - talk about your work/awards etc. It should be noted that the markers are looking for your aptitude for engineering.
Reply 201
I thought the interview was 30 mins long?
Original post by koysha
I thought the interview was 30 mins long?
Yes, but the presentation is only 4 minutes
Didn't some people do their interview this week? How did it go, what was it like and any tips?
Original post by AlwaysASK08
Didn't some people do their interview this week? How did it go, what was it like and any tips?

everything went great, just make sure you know everything about your project and why you made certain decisions aswell as knowing where you really want to go in the future. You can’t do too much prep for it but it might help to have a sheet besides you to remind you of stuff like potential apprenticeships, further education and stuff outside engineering you participate in
Original post by lhodgen19
everything went great, just make sure you know everything about your project and why you made certain decisions aswell as knowing where you really want to go in the future. You can’t do too much prep for it but it might help to have a sheet besides you to remind you of stuff like potential apprenticeships, further education and stuff outside engineering you participate in

was the presentation 4 mins or did they ask you questions about it afterwards as well?
Original post by loading username
was the presentation 4 mins or did they ask you questions about it afterwards as well?

well i don’t think they counted the time exactly for the presentation i did spend a while going in depth with it but they did ask a few questions after just about my project and other engineering interests
Original post by lhodgen19
well i don’t think they counted the time exactly for the presentation i did spend a while going in depth with it but they did ask a few questions after just about my project and other engineering interests

Thanks so much for the info
I got told that they would cut you off after about 6 - but remember they are going to ask you questions on everything so you don’t need to go into details on all of it. Apparently the main thing is that you need to be enthusiastic.
I'm relatively sure that you are allowed to run the program within the interview. I think it would be beneficial to do a test run in front of the interviewers. Just have it ready in an IDE like VS code or something before the interview.
Do we need to show them something working from the project or what? My project was a research project with experimentations that I did to conclude. I do not have something working at the moment to show them.
Please advise
Guys anyone who took the interview can reply to my above question pls
Original post by vivaan14
Do we need to show them something working from the project or what? My project was a research project with experimentations that I did to conclude. I do not have something working at the moment to show them.
Please advise

You need to have a PowerPoint slide which explains the details of how you did your project, what you achieved and what is next. Given your project I do not think they would anticipate a working design, but you need to present it in a way that you can showcase your engineering (and communication) skills. You need to be concise and accurate and show that you have the potentialto be an engineer. After all, it's not the project they're interested in: it's you. So as long as you know the ins and outs of it and can critically evaluate it, you should (hopefully) be fine.

But I haven't had my interview yet, so take what I said with a pinch of salt lol.
Original post by vivaan14
Please advise

i think they’re main point with that is just for you to show it more in depth than what you put in your application and show your further understanding of that aspect of engineering
Does anyone know when we might get results back for the interview? I appreciate not everyone has had theirs yet so it might be some way off.
Original post by FrenchFencer
Does anyone know when we might get results back for the interview? I appreciate not everyone has had theirs yet so it might be some way off.

My interview is on the 18th April so yeah. They may have like 800 people to get through? So it will probably take a while even after interview to standardise everything and so maybe by June? Or later even...
Reply 216
Does anyone know if we are going to get our individual marks back for our application/exam?
Original post by Reni3
Does anyone know if we are going to get our individual marks back for our application/exam?

Hi! As a current Arkwright scholar, I didn't receive any of my scores back, I think they only tell you whether you have got through to the interview or not but nothing more (at least that was the case for me)
Original post by FrenchFencer

A previous year scholar here! They used to state over the summer, however looking at the Arkwright handbook, it looks to have been pushed forwards to end of September. Our year heard back in mid-September.
Reply 219
do they ask searching questions about your project in the interview. i did a coding project, however like whats the guarantee the interviewer knows how to code. And I'm worried they will ask to searching questions about the project.

do any any of you have examples of questions they asked about your project straight after your presentation?

Quick Reply

Latest