The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarship 2024 Y11s

Scroll to see replies

Original post by muirinn16
thank you for this!! my problem is as im not doing DT i have no clue about any mechanisms at all! i can come up with ideas easily i just cant put the mechanisms into them to make it a real product

if you have the ideas then you're in a better position than I was...
honestly if you annotate the heck out of your design, and draw like side profiles and zoomed in views to describe your design a bit better you won't even need to name stuff like 'butterfly door hinge'. keep in mind they want future leaders, so people who have creativity, not knowledge
Reply 21

why like no examples this year aaa
Reply 22
Original post by burnt_t0ast
honestly if you annotate the heck out of your design, and draw like side profiles and zoomed in views to describe your design a bit better you won't even need to name stuff like 'butterfly door hinge'. keep in mind they want future leaders, so people who have creativity, not knowledge

how many sheets did you use?
Reply 23

thank you so much! i think ive got section A down its just section B that actually looks impossible 💀
Original post by visula
how many sheets did you use?

you can't use more than what they give you- so I think it was two or three A3 sheets. I filled mine to the brim. like there was writing or a drawing everywhere there was a space. i also made sure to organise my page cus the examiner doesn't care how good ur design is if it's not been communicated clearly.
thank you so much! i think ive got section A down its just section B that actually looks impossible 💀

for section B all I did was expand on the design I had. so I included views of the back, front etc of the design, annotations for how it worked, how the person used it, why it was a good product as it fulfilled the criteria and more. a good trick is to make a mental (or physical, if allowed) note of any ideas you come up with that supplement your section A ideas. so, don;t go into tooooo much detail about your designs in A, cus then you wont have anything more for B.
Original post by shem08
what happens tho if the question asks to make an automatic machine or smth? Cos ik you need a motor but have no idea what to actually do w it like the different types of gears. Pretty much what different mechanisms do u use for different motions? like back and forth or rotating

keep in mind that there are a range of questions, from robotics, to programming, to DT / product design. there will be at least one question you can complete so don't learn loads of new material!
Reply 27
for section B all I did was expand on the design I had. so I included views of the back, front etc of the design, annotations for how it worked, how the person used it, why it was a good product as it fulfilled the criteria and more. a good trick is to make a mental (or physical, if allowed) note of any ideas you come up with that supplement your section A ideas. so, don;t go into tooooo much detail about your designs in A, cus then you wont have anything more for B.

thank you sm! from what ive been told i thought you needed like so much mechanisms and stuff i was panicking
thank you sm! from what ive been told i thought you needed like so much mechanisms and stuff i was panicking

you don't need endless knowledge for it, but some research into BASIC mechanisms and materials (wood, metal plastic) and maybe some electronics stuff is useful. but there is no need to panic!!! extra research just helps make your life easier by letting you have more choice in the exam
Reply 29
you don't need endless knowledge for it, but some research into BASIC mechanisms and materials (wood, metal plastic) and maybe some electronics stuff is useful. but there is no need to panic!!! extra research just helps make your life easier by letting you have more choice in the exam

yeah ive got the 8 basic mechanisms like gears, pulleys, linkages, levers etc and clamps and switched all learnt i just need to properly try the past papers to see how they go
Reply 30
Original post by shem08
how are u integrating the mechanisms in? like for example the gears are turned by the motor how to make whatever motion? still dont understand how theyre connected so i can draw it

so real 😭 no clue how theyre meant to work together like what the hell is the use of a cam
Reply 31
Original post by shem08
how are u integrating the mechanisms in? like for example the gears are turned by the motor how to make whatever motion? still dont understand how theyre connected so i can draw it

im so sorry i have no clue!! basically what ive done is learn all the mechanisms and how they change like rotary motion to linear etc. but i havent tried to use them in a design yet! my guess would be that they are the foundation of the design like pulleys for a water well or levers for an ice cream scoop! hope this helped but i’ll let you guys know when i start the past papers on monday 😊
Reply 32
Original post by visula
so real 😭 no clue how theyre meant to work together like what the hell is the use of a cam

cams are actually so confusing to me im just staying clear of them
cams are actually so confusing to me im just staying clear of them

what’s a cam..???
Firstly, I am so glad I have found this chat - I am applying for an Arkwright scholarship this year and the process is really intimidating particularly because I haven't done a lot of technical work in engineering just a lot of basic broad stuff and no one from my school has ever got one.
Secondly, a cam is a method of translating rotary motion into oscillating or linear motion that moves in a specific and predictable manner. It is best explained visually so I would suggest looking at the BBC bitesize page on it but they are frequently used in engines and novelty toys.
Thirdly, in my fretting about the exam, I have looked into the numbers, apparently about 1300 people applied last year, about 660 got interviews and only 340 actually got scholarships and you have to consider the calibre who put themselves through the application process to start with. But then again someone has to get it.
Good luck everyone.
Original post by HumanBeans
Firstly, I am so glad I have found this chat - I am applying for an Arkwright scholarship this year and the process is really intimidating particularly because I haven't done a lot of technical work in engineering just a lot of basic broad stuff and no one from my school has ever got one.
Secondly, a cam is a method of translating rotary motion into oscillating or linear motion that moves in a specific and predictable manner. It is best explained visually so I would suggest looking at the BBC bitesize page on it but they are frequently used in engines and novelty toys.
Thirdly, in my fretting about the exam, I have looked into the numbers, apparently about 1300 people applied last year, about 660 got interviews and only 340 actually got scholarships and you have to consider the calibre who put themselves through the application process to start with. But then again someone has to get it.
Good luck everyone.

those numbers are right
also when i went to the awards ceremony, there were so many people with amazing qualifications and hobbies and things that id never even heard of, to the point that i was shocked i was even awarded a scholarship to begin with. someone i talked to was the european championship holder for weightlifting in her category i think.

just because these people are competing for a scholarship with you, doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough for a scholarship! just show off your best attributes and you passion, and i’m sure you’ll be one of the 340 this year!!!

oh also i have no clubs or hobbies that have anything to do with engineering, so don’t worry about that part cus i’m sure if you’re passionate enough you’ll shine!!
(edited 2 months ago)
those numbers are right
also when i went to the awards ceremony, there were so many people with amazing qualifications and hobbies and things that id never even heard of, to the point that i was shocked i was even awarded a scholarship to begin with. someone i talked to was the european championship holder for weightlifting in her category i think.

just because these people are competing for a scholarship with you, doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough for a scholarship! just show off your best attributes and you passion, and i’m sure you’ll be one of the 340 this year!!!

oh also i have no clubs or hobbies that have anything to do with engineering, so don’t worry about that part cus i’m sure if you’re passionate enough you’ll shine!!

Do you have any advise for the exam particularly the second question?
Original post by HumanBeans
Do you have any advise for the exam particularly the second question?

make sure that whatever you draw or design, you label extensively as though the examiner is about 10 years old and doesn’t know better. use as many colours as possible and draw side profiles and different views of your design, explaining them thoroughly. don’t be afraid to do something wacky, as long as you prove it’s worth!! one of my friends (she received the scholarship) did a dinosaur theme cus she likes dinosaurs.
Reply 39

0 clue 💀 tbf the examiner said it isnt very clear though so maybe thats not the best example

Quick Reply

Latest