The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarship 2024 Y11s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by muirinn16
0 clue 💀 tbf the examiner said it isnt very clear though so maybe thats not the best example

i wish the 'exemplars' have an actual mark scheme so we can see if the applicant was awarded enough marks regardless
Reply 41
Original post by Maru1341
i wish the 'exemplars' have an actual mark scheme so we can see if the applicant was awarded enough marks regardless

it would be so helpful to know what marks they got i agree!
You are so right - it would be really helpful to see how they weigh up technical detail and engineering creativity and ability.
Reply 43
might die cus why is it tomrrow
Original post by visula

gl im doin it aswl
Reply 45
guys how are we all feeling??

not great not terrible, 4 people are applying including me and two of them i know are absolutely insane at product designing so i have prob a miniscule chance but it is what it is
Reply 47

awful i know nothing about mechanisms 💀
Reply 48
Original post by visula

im not ready at all freaking out
Reply 49

mixed feelings dont know how im gonna come up with 3 different designs for section A that seems to be a recurring thing in the markers comments
Reply 50
Original post by I'mInLockdown
not great not terrible, 4 people are applying including me and two of them i know are absolutely insane at product designing so i have prob a miniscule chance but it is what it is

if it helps theres people like me doing the exam who do not know mechanisms at all💀
Glad to see that everyone is feeling the same as me. I am worried because my technical detail isn’t amazing compared to others so I am worried that will mark me down. And like I’m in lockdown another kid in my year is insane at engineering so there is always the am I good enough. I guess we will see. Good luck tomorrow everyone.

what am i even supposed to know specifically the "mark scheme" is so vague and general
Reply 53
what am i even supposed to know specifically the "mark scheme" is so vague and general

even the example questions that are given arent even full mark responses alot of them the marker has found alot of problems so how am i meant to know whats the ideal response
Reply 54
Literally, I can't tell if the exemplar answers were honestly that bad or the markers were brutal af.

It's meant to be an aptitude exam but it feels like we're expected to know loads about mechanisms (one marker mentioned something like off centred motorised system??)
Reply 55
Also anyone fancy hopping on a discord server and talking through some mechanisms/ plans?
Literally, I can't tell if the exemplar answers were honestly that bad or the markers were brutal af.

It's meant to be an aptitude exam but it feels like we're expected to know loads about mechanisms (one marker mentioned something like off centred motorised system??)

its so stupid that they dont tell how many marks the person got - they did it for like one or two years and stopped
I think you have to remember that this isn’t an ordinary exam - the aim is to test your ability. Remember it is the examiners job to be brutal - there comments don’t detract from the fact that the examples they have shown are still mostly high quality responses of an abnormal ability from the average teenager. (Or at least I hope so or I stand no chance) It doesn’t mean you are bad, just others are better. It doesn’t mean you won’t get it, just others are more likely to. Or at least that is my optimistic assessment.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 58
its so stupid that they dont tell how many marks the person got - they did it for like one or two years and stopped

if you look at the markers comments for like each year they keep saying how the students struggled to come up with a 3rd different design and they acknowledge how little time they give so why not just get rid of having to draw 3 why not just 2
Reply 59

oh same i don’t even know what to revise anymore 💀

Quick Reply

Latest