The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarship 2024 Y11s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by FrenchFencer
I think you have to remember that this isn’t an ordinary exam - the aim is to test your ability. Remember it is the examiners job to be brutal - there comments don’t detract from the fact that the examples they have shown are still mostly high quality responses of an abnormal ability from the average teenager. (Or at least I hope so or I stand no chance) It doesn’t mean you are bad, just others are better. It doesn’t mean you won’t get it, just others are more likely to. Or at least that is my optimistic assessment.

That's a real take actually. They did mention that the point of the aptitude test was to basically pitch people against each other, separate them based on ability and therefore narrow down the number.
apparently you're supposed to throw everything you know bout mechanisms but still provide it in a way that you literally say everything there is which was a problem in the past years when ppl drew mechanisms but didnt specify specific details like motor rpm etc
Reply 62
I personally don't understand how arduino circuits work, so even if I can make system diagrams/flowcharts/circuit diagrams, I don't know how to express their relation or connection on a physical diagram.... can anyone advise me?
Reply 63
Original post by Maru1341
I personally don't understand how arduino circuits work, so even if I can make system diagrams/flowcharts/circuit diagrams, I don't know how to express their relation or connection on a physical diagram.... can anyone advise me?

i dont think you really need to understand how it works just the relation with the inputs control and outputs so if its something that senses temperature if it reaches below 10*c then the microcontroller knows to turn on the led which is the output just a basic understanding i think
ibr im gonna revise pulleys and motors and try to implement them no matter what the question is
Reply 65
Literally, I can't tell if the exemplar answers were honestly that bad or the markers were brutal af.

It's meant to be an aptitude exam but it feels like we're expected to know loads about mechanisms (one marker mentioned something like off centred motorised system??)

for real like i am not a dt student ive never seen mechanisms before :frown:
Original post by muirinn16
for real like i am not a dt student ive never seen mechanisms before :frown:

me too the other 3 that im doing it with all do dt
Reply 67
Original post by shem08
i beg theres a full on flowchart question like the one in the 2023 paper q6. i did the whole paper timed and my teacher said he reckons it would be enough to get me an interview but if tbe question wasnt flowxcharts maybe id be screwed idk

it probs is tbh, maybe they're trying to incorporate more computing/ algorithm based questions.
Reply 68
Original post by shem08
i beg theres a full on flowchart question like the one in the 2023 paper q6. i did the whole paper timed and my teacher said he reckons it would be enough to get me an interview but if tbe question wasnt flowxcharts maybe id be screwed idk

i think there will be if there was one in 2023! hope it goes well for everyone 😊
Reply 69
actually gonna die why is it in 20 minutes
how'd everybody find it my time management is absolutely horrible
Reply 71
Original post by I'mInLockdown

I could complete the paper on time with all the details I wanted to put into my solutions. I'm a non-DT student so my free hand drawing is not that great but I could manage to match what was mentioned in exemplar answers on the site.

When we can expect the result ?

Fingers crossed!
Original post by vivaan14
I could complete the paper on time with all the details I wanted to put into my solutions. I'm a non-DT student so my free hand drawing is not that great but I could manage to match what was mentioned in exemplar answers on the site.

When we can expect the result ?

Fingers crossed!

late Feb - early March I believe, gl
Reply 73

i was so glad with section B it was better than i thought
Reply 74
did anyone actually do the last question on section B? as a computing student i thought about it but thought i’d probably get myself confused trying to refer to stuff
Reply 75
Also anyone fancy hopping on a discord server and talking through some mechanisms/ plans?

might as well drop link for the socialness
Original post by visula
did anyone actually do the last question on section B? as a computing student i thought about it but thought i’d probably get myself confused trying to refer to stuff

sry i did quesion 5
Reply 77
sry i did quesion 5

don’t even remember what that one was i just did question 4
Original post by visula
q5 was gaming...i took one look at that and said nope

i actually liked doing q5 but def didnt get enough time to finish off everything
Reply 79
i also did q1 lmao

q2 must have been ezpz for dt students

Quick Reply

Latest