The Student Room Group

Let us collapse and expand stuff (quote, OPs etc) properly

Problem Summary
Let us collapse and expand stuff (quote, OPs etc) properly

Problem Details
Currently on React if you quote someone, you can’t expand the quote to see the whole quote which means that you can’t break it up and you’re having to scroll back up to see what another user has said.

With regards to the OP, if you choose to expand the OP (because you’re not on page 1), there’s no way to collapse that OP back like you can for spoilers unless you change pages so again more scrolling.

Device
Mobile

Browser
Brave

Link
Just go to any thread you want using react

Additional Information
This is basic functionality that existed in showthread 2 (you could expand someone’s quote to read it all or to give you the ability to break it up further and when you clicked on a new page, the OP wasn’t shown, you had to go back to page one to see the OP).
Hey @Talkative Toad - thanks for the suggestions.

To give a bit of context, we changed how quoting appears on react based on our user testing.
It was a common friction point for users that repeating the post they were replying to in the text box, seemed unnecessary and confusing - particularly when replying to a long post and having to scroll down the page in order to start typing.

Users also raised concerns about the fact that other users could edit the quote - potentially making it appear as if they'd said something they didn't.

I am aware though that editing quotes is needed for advanced users and this will be added as part of the multi-quote functionality, coming soon. So you'll be able to add a quote(s) to the Quick Reply box and edit them in there.

In regards to collapsing the OP after you have expanded it, I'll have to think about this one. It isn't really standard UX behaviour to collapse something after you have expanded it. Can you give me some more detail on why this would be useful to have?

Thanks 🙂
Original post by dinosaurchef
Hey @Talkative Toad - thanks for the suggestions.

To give a bit of context, we changed how quoting appears on react based on our user testing.
It was a common friction point for users that repeating the post they were replying to in the text box, seemed unnecessary and confusing - particularly when replying to a long post and having to scroll down the page in order to start typing.

Users also raised concerns about the fact that other users could edit the quote - potentially making it appear as if they'd said something they didn't.

I am aware though that editing quotes is needed for advanced users and this will be added as part of the multi-quote functionality, coming soon. So you'll be able to add a quote(s) to the Quick Reply box and edit them in there.

In regards to collapsing the OP after you have expanded it, I'll have to think about this one. It isn't really standard UX behaviour to collapse something after you have expanded it. Can you give me some more detail on why this would be useful to have?

Thanks 🙂

Because in Showthread 2, if you went to a new page you didn’t see the OP, so this is technically simply importing stuff from ST2 in a way (allowing that same functionality of you not having to see the OP after you scroll down/move a page even if you’ve chosen to expand the OP).

hopefully quotes will work the same way as they did in ST2 then and thanks for the update.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending