The Student Room Group

Should I drop sociology for English literature?

I chose biology, sociology and psychology. I’m such an indecisive person. I realised I would like to do English literate but I have a feeling I am romanticising it too much. I’m debating between nursing and law for uni so which subject would be better?
Original post by volatile-lake
I chose biology, sociology and psychology. I’m such an indecisive person. I realised I would like to do English literate but I have a feeling I am romanticising it too much. I’m debating between nursing and law for uni so which subject would be better?

in terms of facilitating subjects etc...you could drop sociology and take eng lit ...as i feel like u would need to have at least one humanities subject to provide some evidence of u being right for law and as u already have bio and psych-those 2 will already allow u a pathway into nursing but currently u dont have any subjects very relevant to law---this way u could decide later btw nursing and law---even if u did end up doing nursing eng lit is a subject universities look favourably on ....in terms of romanticising only u know but by no means is it easy-----it is a hard a-level but if u like reading/writing than i guess ull find it easier--all the qs are essays and u are studying a lot more stuff at a much deeper level in a much shorter time frame......i would say look at videos and do some research so u can make an informed decision thats right for u...u oculd even watch some webinars on nursing and law to see which u prefer....hope this helps-just my opinion---i do eng lit and bio and chem----i kept the eng lit cause i liked it and cause having humanities and stem helps-especially if ur not sure on ur career path yet
Im doing law and did both english literature and sociology, sociology is by far the easier subject but for my I enjoyed english more. any specific questions feel free to ask
Original post by intheimageofGOD
Im doing law and did both english literature and sociology, sociology is by far the easier subject but for my I enjoyed english more. any specific questions feel free to ask

if u dont mind do u have any tips for me - i am currently going to do my 2nd year in a-level aqa eng lit and i still havent figured out how much of what i should do: do u think its better to learn quotes by theme or character or both? and this is what i thought i should so- a set of summary notes for each text, a bunch of theme mindmaps for each one and a set of character profiles for each one.....do u think this is enough? i just havent figured out how many quotes etc i should use? and i thought for revising blurt from my folder/rev guide until i get all stuff in one try....also how many practice essays did u write by the end and how many practice essay plans and how did u do those essay plans and how many do u think one should aim to write in order to get A/A*?.....sorry for asking so many questions.....i love the lessons but i struggle with how to revise and in writing enough and properly structuring my essyas--how many main body pgs should one aim to have?.....i would rlly appreciate any help

Out of sociology and english literature- which do you think you would enjoy more/get the better grade in?
I cant comment on english literture as i didnt do it myself, but i did sociology and i loved it. It was also my easiest subject.
Reply 5

You do not need ANY specific subjects for Law - just high grades.

For Nursing, you need to check the entry requirements on a range of Uni websites.

A level Lit is a great deal harder than GCSE because it involves 'critical theory' and far more in-depth study.
And you can read books in your spare time, you dont need to be 'doing an A level' - https://www.waterstones.com/campaign/books-you-should-read
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
if u dont mind do u have any tips for me - i am currently going to do my 2nd year in a-level aqa eng lit and i still havent figured out how much of what i should do: do u think its better to learn quotes by theme or character or both? and this is what i thought i should so- a set of summary notes for each text, a bunch of theme mindmaps for each one and a set of character profiles for each one.....do u think this is enough? i just havent figured out how many quotes etc i should use? and i thought for revising blurt from my folder/rev guide until i get all stuff in one try....also how many practice essays did u write by the end and how many practice essay plans and how did u do those essay plans and how many do u think one should aim to write in order to get A/A*?.....sorry for asking so many questions.....i love the lessons but i struggle with how to revise and in writing enough and properly structuring my essyas--how many main body pgs should one aim to have?.....i would rlly appreciate any help

for english what helped for me was really creating quotes for every singe possible essay questions as there are only limited amount of questions that they can ask, you can search for practice questions and look for past papers and think of quotes that can be used for them. I think learn quotes by themes are better but for having a few quotes that are broad are really important like the old black ram quote for Othello (not sure if your doing othello) but that quote touches on sexuality and racism and more. I'd say don't use too many quotes as you don't want to be bombarding the marker with quotes what you want to do is develop on the quotes on what they really mean, I cant remember too well how many paras i wrote and how many quotes i used but it think it was around 2 per para and was normally 3-4 para per question i think.

The thing with english is getting your structure correct, so making sure you get everything you want in one paragraph, the beginning sentance of each paragraph should be what you are going to talk about in that specific paragraph. then incorporate your quote and analyse don't describe but really analyse and go really in depth and be unique for the old black ram quote talk about the contrast between black and white, you can then talk abour religion and then bring in context but remember when analysing always answer the question. introductions and conclusions are also really important so get some prepped.
don't go overboard, and write 20 pages I remember someone in my class who wrote so much for one question and I wrote 3 pages and we got the same score. be precise and succinct.
for english what helped for me was really creating quotes for every singe possible essay questions as there are only limited amount of questions that they can ask, you can search for practice questions and look for past papers and think of quotes that can be used for them. I think learn quotes by themes are better but for having a few quotes that are broad are really important like the old black ram quote for Othello (not sure if your doing othello) but that quote touches on sexuality and racism and more. I'd say don't use too many quotes as you don't want to be bombarding the marker with quotes what you want to do is develop on the quotes on what they really mean, I cant remember too well how many paras i wrote and how many quotes i used but it think it was around 2 per para and was normally 3-4 para per question i think.

The thing with english is getting your structure correct, so making sure you get everything you want in one paragraph, the beginning sentance of each paragraph should be what you are going to talk about in that specific paragraph. then incorporate your quote and analyse don't describe but really analyse and go really in depth and be unique for the old black ram quote talk about the contrast between black and white, you can then talk abour religion and then bring in context but remember when analysing always answer the question. introductions and conclusions are also really important so get some prepped.
don't go overboard, and write 20 pages I remember someone in my class who wrote so much for one question and I wrote 3 pages and we got the same score. be precise and succinct.

thank u for the advise-can u pls let me know how many essays do u think u wrote in total for a-levels? like did u write 50 60 30?
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
thank u for the advise-can u pls let me know how many essays do u think u wrote in total for a-levels? like did u write 50 60 30?

could not tell you specific numbers but a lot
could not tell you specific numbers but a lot

thnx
That’s what I’m doing for my a levels is it good?

Quick Reply

Latest