The Student Room Group

English literature how to revise

Hi, I'm currently in year 10 but ill be going to year 11 in September, I'm trying to make revision materials but I don't know how. I've studied Jekyll and hyde and Macbeth. how do I begin to make revision materials? if I do, do I make mindmaps and how will I do them? do I do one for every character? but what exactly will be on those mindmaps? do I do themes and link to quotes but how much information is needed? I'm struggling and I will appreciate any help I can get. Thank you
Hey, I'm the same year group as you, but I did my lit GCSE's this year.

Mind maps are very good revision material. I would make one for every character and then have a key defining feature of that character branch off. From there, branch off with evidence using quotes from the text, and then add what techniques are used.

I found that quote flashcards really helped me out when revising. I made flashcards with a key quote on one side, and a PEEL (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link.) paragraph analysis on the other side.

Another thing that really helped was Mr Salles' videos on YouTube. Very helpful and he explains things well.

My advice for practice paragraphs with the length is, make your explanation as long as possible. A good goal is eight lines. Remember, you can always expand on specific words within the quote you have used more.

I really hope this helped! :smile:
Original post by nana06x
Hi, I'm currently in year 10 but ill be going to year 11 in September, I'm trying to make revision materials but I don't know how. I've studied Jekyll and hyde and Macbeth. how do I begin to make revision materials? if I do, do I make mindmaps and how will I do them? do I do one for every character? but what exactly will be on those mindmaps? do I do themes and link to quotes but how much information is needed? I'm struggling and I will appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

Hiya - I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing top grade English Lit study content, and I cover lots of Macbeth and Jekyll/Hyde topics. See if they help you at all?

Macbeth playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7ZeXb9kjv0MYMmIInCt9uxQ
Jekyll and Hyde quick quote analysis video, duality in J/K, good vs evil in J/K
Reply 3
Original post by Hyperbolit
Hiya - I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing top grade English Lit study content, and I cover lots of Macbeth and Jekyll/Hyde topics. See if they help you at all?

Macbeth playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhe5sjPdsN7ZeXb9kjv0MYMmIInCt9uxQ
Jekyll and Hyde quick quote analysis video, duality in J/K, good vs evil in J/K

Thank you! I will check it out.
Reply 4
Original post by studylevel
Hey, I'm the same year group as you, but I did my lit GCSE's this year.

Mind maps are very good revision material. I would make one for every character and then have a key defining feature of that character branch off. From there, branch off with evidence using quotes from the text, and then add what techniques are used.

I found that quote flashcards really helped me out when revising. I made flashcards with a key quote on one side, and a PEEL (Point, Evidence, Explain, Link.) paragraph analysis on the other side.

Another thing that really helped was Mr Salles' videos on YouTube. Very helpful and he explains things well.

My advice for practice paragraphs with the length is, make your explanation as long as possible. A good goal is eight lines. Remember, you can always expand on specific words within the quote you have used more.

I really hope this helped! :smile:

Thank you!
My advice would be to go through flash cards , there’s many on quizlet
Also id suggest doing practise essays and timing yourself that helps a lot
Reply 6
Original post by Aera_K98

Hey! Just finished my GCSEs and got my results this week (Got a grade 9 in AQA English Lit). We did A Christmas Carol, Macbeth, Inspector Calls and Unseen poetry. We didn't do power and conflict poetry due to covid however I still have some poems annotated from power and conflict before the news was announced.

Here is what I did, I think it's important to find the way you like to study best though.
- The basics for me: making mindmaps for every character that could be assessed. Get all of that sorted now so you don't have to worry about it later. I personally did characters and their relationship to themes more than themes as a whole but make sure you've got the grasp of every theme/character. If you prefer themes go more for those if you'd like :smile: (For mindmaps: I wrote down quotes, how it links to a theme, annotated the quote + AO3 context and gave my own ideas for the quote)
- Make notes (or mindmaps because I'm a sucker for mindmaps) of important/key events throughout the texts and how it all links to the bigger picture.
- I reread the texts at least once after we finished annotating them in class.
- For remembering quotes I made quizlets, for AO3 (Contextual knowledge) I did paper flashcards
- Personally, I paid a lot of attention to AO3 and bringing in 'abstract ideas' to my essays. AOs are so important and I made sure to include them all the time.
- Essays and essay plans! so so important imo. I had a notebook just for essays and just did questions then got it marked by a teacher. You can also do essay plans so during your exam there will be (hopefully) less stress, as you've already planned out something similar.
- At home for revision or adding ideas to mindmaps I recommend Mr Salles he is literally incredible and was so so helpful for those extra quote annotations and ideas to include in your essays. I also like Physics and Math Tutor and used it sometimes for some Macbeth.

As an overview, I did a lot of mindmaps on A3 paper and then I would transfer those to flashcards. I did also a bunch of practice essays and even more essay plans. Get the essays marked by a teacher and see what you can improve on :smile:
However, the most important thing is finding out what you personally like to do and what helps you the most to memorise and revise/make revision materials. I know a friend that HATES making mindmaps and would mostly focus on essays or other forms of memorising quotes. Even more important is hard work!
This is just what I did to give you some ideas, you don't have to follow it exactly as revising differs from person to person. What might work for me might not work for you. If you have any questions about some of the points I made let me know :smile:
I wish you the best of luck!

Hi I might be a bit old for this but I got an 8 for English Literature GCSE and I got an A star for English Literature A Level so I can help with some tips that specifically helped me. A warning that this may not be everyone's cup of tea in terms of revision but it helped me.

1. READ THE TEXT! You'd be surprised how many of my peers hadn't read the texts we had to study even near the exam date. Unless you fully engross yourself in the text, how would you know what to write? I have personally read both Macbeth and Jeckyll and Hyde so I know they are easy to get interested in.

2. Track key quotes. If you can, buy a cheap second hand copy of the book so you can annotate on it. If not, use a separate notebook or post its. Track key quotes and annotate everything about them. The things your teachers say are like liquid gold for your exams - write them down!!

3. Depending on your exam, tailor your revision to the question. E.g. I tracked key quotes etc. for both characters and themes by using color coding and mindmaps.

4. This was my most used technique - practice questions. Write essays and essays independently as if you were in an exam, and get them marked by your teacher. This will allow you to see what to do properly in the actual exam and relieve some tension in the actual thing as you have already done this before.

5. When memorising, I literally read it over and over again until I can say it without looking at it. Then I move onto the next piece of info. After I Memorise that enough, I try to recall the first piece of info without notes. If I can thn I move forward. If not thn I start memorising all over again. Trust me it's a pain but it's totally worth it.

Finally, remember that you have got this. You need to be your own best supporter. People have been in the same boat as you and survived, it's gonna be ok. You got this 😊

Sorry its so long but hope it helped you in some way .
Reply 8

Hi, I did GCSE literature last year, now doing Alevel English Literature. I studied Macbeth also.
Revision: Mindmaps on Themes, Characters, and then CONTEXT linking to Themes and Characters. Quotes i made on flashcards and quite rightly link them to themes and the characters.
'How much information is needed?' Mind-maps/ Flashcards- don't go too overboard (It can look quite overwhelming), but maybe as you're in Year 10, consider making A3 sheets of lots of detail, and then smaller versions- condensing it down (once you have learnt the added content well- so on the condensed versions- you will already know the other bits).
Colour code everything.
But also, don't worry too much at this stage- watch Youtube Videos- Mr Salles is very good ( i ordered his Macbeth book), i found context extremely easy to learn- and this helped me to understand themes a lot.
I got a 9 in Lit and this is mostly what i did. I started Practising exam Q's in Novemeber- past papers are key!
Good luck for next year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending