The Student Room Group

New flatmates

So two new flatmates shifted with us, and i don't know how to build rapport with them. Im an introvert so i just feel awkward and uncomfortable. And one of the new flatmates is the sibling of my roommate. So they are chill but I just get so awkward 😭
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

But do not worry! Don't force yourself or pressure yourself into doing something you're uncomfortable with.

There's still time to get to know one another, so a conversation will eventually come out naturally.

You're university students, so if you're struggling with starting a conversation, ask about their course, assignments, meal plans (you will find eachother in the kitchen pretty often), schedules, interests or ideas for their career paths. Furthermore, since the new flatmates are related, ask about their family dynamic or how do they find living together without their parents!

Lastly, remember that you're new flatmates might be as nervous as you about moving in and building rapport with others. So try to be patient and open-minded.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Reply 2
thank you Melanie <3
Original post by Anonymous #1
So two new flatmates shifted with us, and i don't know how to build rapport with them. Im an introvert so i just feel awkward and uncomfortable. And one of the new flatmates is the sibling of my roommate. So they are chill but I just get so awkward 😭

Anon,

Maybe you can suggest eating dinner together as a flat? You could also do a movie night either at the flat, or you could all go the cinema or you could go bowling or ice-skating. There might also be an event at uni that you could all go to.

I am sure the new flatmates are also feeling a bit awkward/apprehensive so don't be afraid to say 'hi'. Ask them questions about their course, any societies they have joined or about their hobbies, and hopefully you quickly find something that you have in common.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

HI there,

I would also suggest to ask them to do things with you to ease the awkwardness of new people moving in. Maybe a flat games night as playing games can often break the tension or just all making dinner together, or watch a movie.

As you see them, try and chat to them a little bit, ask them about their course, where they're from, what they like doing and hopefully they will ask you questions too as this is a nice way to ease into talking to them and getting to know each other a bit.

If you are already friendly with the flatmates whose sibling is moving in, try and talk to them all as a group as this will feel a bit less daunting if you already know some of the people!

And try not to worry about it. Conversation will happen naturally as you live together so don't feel pressure to talk to them all the time if you feel uncomfortable.

I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 5
thank you guys, i did initiate interactions and i can say the equation is better than the last few days. Still not there but things take time so let's hope

Hi Anon,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling like this. Try not to put pressure on yourself, I'm sure you will naturally feel more comfortable around them as time goes on. A great way to get to know a new flat mate is by asking them a bit about themselves, don't be afraid to give this a try and you may find you have some things in common. You could try seeing if they want to go out for a coffee or meet in the kitchen for a meal.

I hope this helps, you got this! 😊
Sarah

Hi there,

I've been in a similar situation. Getting to know new flatmates can feel daunting, especially as an introvert. It helped me to remember that they might be feeling awkward too. Try engaging in small talk initially and gradually get to know them better. Don't pressure yourself to become instant friends. It's okay to take your time to open up and be genuine. You could also suggest a flat movie night or meal together to break the ice.

Take care,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending