The Student Room Group

Actor without experience?

Hi :smile:
I am a 16 year old boy just finishing my GCSEs. I have always had an interest in drama and over the past few months, I have been thinking about it very seriously as a possible career. I am desperate work in performing arts (being a keen musician, as I play guitar and sing), but I always considered music rather than drama. Now that I have rediscovered my love for drama, I realise that it would be a dream to be an actor in films, sitcoms and TV programmes! However, I didn't take drama at GCSE (I am very academical as well, so I chose a lot of serious subjects like history etc). Now that I have chosen my A Levels, again, I have chosen fairly academical subjects: Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Music, as my passion. However, I am now having second thoughts: if acting really is something that I can see myself doing in the future, would it be advisable to take Theatre Studies at A Level? If I don't take this, it rules out doing a degree in the subject.
However, not all successful actors have a degree, right? Would it still be possible to start a successful acting career, even if I had a different degree?
Basically, is it possible for me to become an actor with literally NO experience (I don't attend drama school or anything- it is literally NO experience!)
Reply 1
I'm not really sure how you go about getting into acting at all - but is there not an agency you can sign up with, a bit like what models do?

I'm really sorry I can't offer much help, but I'm certain someone else on here will offer you some more useful advice :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by MissClumsy
I'm not really sure how you go about getting into acting at all - but is there not an agency you can sign up with, a bit like what models do?

I'm really sorry I can't offer much help, but I'm certain someone else on here will offer you some more useful advice :smile:

Good luck!

thanks for the reply :smile: i have thought about agencies and stuff- but, i have been pondering whether it would be best to join an agency after university (juggling both at the same time might be difficult) or whether to just keep looking on the internet for little acting jobs here and there from now onwards to build up some experience and after university, hit the ground running! i did find a site called Starnow.co.uk which is basically a talent directory where you can browse through all kinds of performing arts jobs from modelling, extras in TV ads, dancers right up to lead roles in films (i doubt they would be massively famous and successful films, but films none-the-less!) i am basically just trying to work out the best way to approach an acting career without putting too much pressure on myself, especially when i'm in full time education! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
I have very talented friends trying desperately to get into drama school and being rejected year on year. If I were you I would suggest staying with your A levels, possibly taking theatre studies instead of one of them to keep your doors open. You have to remember you're very young and so may change your mind again. You could go to uni to get a degree and join a drama club through a union on the side? Then maybe sign up to an agency after uni?
Whatever you want to do is ultimately your choice, but you have to bear in mind that it's very hard to get a stable job in the acting industry. If you have talent and luck, you may make it, but you may very well not. It could be a good idea to get a degree first so you have something to fall back on
Good luck whatever you choose to do! :smile:
Reply 4
I doesn't matter, if it's want to do, go for it! Nothing should hinder you.

It doesn't matter that you didn't do Drama at GCSE.

You're 15/16 right? That's a perfect time to start.

Get yourself as much experience at possible (in order to improve your resume); student films, drama classes/clubs, the National Youth Theatre, feature films. Anything.

Go to an accredited drama school, many agents are scouting for new talent so you'll have a shot. Agents find you, you don't find them so get yourself as involved much as possible.

It's an extremely tough bussiness to break but I wish you well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ohlavelle
I have very talented friends trying desperately to get into drama school and being rejected year on year. If I were you I would suggest staying with your A levels, possibly taking theatre studies instead of one of them to keep your doors open. You have to remember you're very young and so may change your mind again. You could go to uni to get a degree and join a drama club through a union on the side? Then maybe sign up to an agency after uni?
Whatever you want to do is ultimately your choice, but you have to bear in mind that it's very hard to get a stable job in the acting industry. If you have talent and luck, you may make it, but you may very well not. It could be a good idea to get a degree first so you have something to fall back on
Good luck whatever you choose to do! :smile:

I am also passionate about acting but a dark cloud of doubt is sometimes over my head that says 'I won't make it', 'what are the chances?'
I have an interest in science and I'm good at it. So it's the case of my heart says become an actress but my head says become a doctor. I got rejected from a couple medical schools and I see it a blessing in disguise. I want to pursue my interests in the meantime and see where it take me. My mind might change. Who knows.

I'll soon be studying biochemistry at Leeds University so I'll have a backup and I can still study medicine if acting goes tits up.

I sometimes have a worries, what if a get a casting call to audition for a film in LA when I have to study for my finals at university - what will I do? Do I take the risk, do I take a year out, do I drop out?

OP- I got into the prestigious National Youth Theatre (first time round) where many well-known actors have been recognised there, it will open doors. It's not that easy to get into though 5000 people audition for 500 places. But still audition!
I didn't take Drama at GCSE either. However I take it at A Level now and would definitely recommend taking a more theoretical approach. I am also academic and personally although the drama A Level is extremely practical, I have really benefited from the theory and study of practitioners to improve my acting skills! Had I done Drama at GCSE which I foolishly didn't, I would have felt ready to audition for Acting Schools but I still feel I need more time so it's off to Uni for me to do a degree in Drama and Theatre Studies hopefully! OH and by the way, that Starnow website, bit of a con really! They charge you if you want to look at full audition information! If I were you I'd take to the yellow pages and find out if there are any local theatre groups you can join for some experience. Good luck anyway in whatever you decide. :smile:
Original post by JordanK
I am a 16 year old boy just finishing my GCSEs. I have always had an interest in drama and over the past few months, I have been thinking about it very seriously as a possible career. I am desperate work in performing arts (being a keen musician, as I play guitar and sing), but I always considered music rather than drama. Now that I have rediscovered my love for drama, I realise that it would be a dream to be an actor in films, sitcoms and TV programmes! However, I didn't take drama at GCSE (I am very academical as well, so I chose a lot of serious subjects like history etc). Now that I have chosen my A Levels, again, I have chosen fairly academical subjects: Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Music, as my passion. However, I am now having second thoughts: if acting really is something that I can see myself doing in the future, would it be advisable to take Theatre Studies at A Level? If I don't take this, it rules out doing a degree in the subject.
However, not all successful actors have a degree, right? Would it still be possible to start a successful acting career, even if I had a different degree?
Basically, is it possible for me to become an actor with literally NO experience (I don't attend drama school or anything- it is literally NO experience!)
I'm uncannily in the exact same experience as you, same age, same situation, same everything. What I've done is I'm taking online drama classes at this app called outschool. Check it out, or you could try classes elsewhere. You'll learn the theories and the bookworm to help with skills. This is more important than you might think; you want to do acting, you'll have to study. Very rarely it is a talent, you'll need to learn the skills. You do have to pay for classes. Do you have a job? If not, it's very important to start earning. I don't think university is essential, in this industry, it's all about experience. Try work experience. Get in touch with companies near by and learn and watch other actors and try it out yourself. Maybe you'll meet a great producer who will take you far one day. Just build yourself up as much as you can. Audition for anything. While you're doing you're A Levels, study acting, theory, learn, once they're over, get out there and blow the roof off with your skills. Every great actor has been in your position once. You can become like them.
Good luck. I know you can do this!
Original post by JordanK
It's wonderful that you're considering a career in acting! While not having drama at GCSE or choosing it as an A Level subject may seem like a setback, it's not a deal-breaker. Many successful actors start without formal training or a drama degree. Experience can be gained through community theater, workshops, auditions, and on-the-job training. While Theatre Studies at A Level can be beneficial, it's not the only path. Actors with diverse educational backgrounds can succeed. Starting with no experience is common, and passion, dedication, and willingness to learn are key. Pursue every opportunity to perform and consider acting classes to hone your skills. With determination, you can pursue your dream of acting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending