The Student Room Group

Help/advice needed to pick Uni

Hello,

I am a mature student currently studying an Access to HE in social science and health. I have received offers at Uni of Gloucestershire, Uni of Worcester and BCU to study Education studies. (Still waiting on Uni of Birmingham but I am fairly certain that will be a rejection).
Has anyone been to these universities that can offer some help on which to choose as I'm so torn!.
Are they welcoming for mature students? Are the facilities good? Will the social aspect still be good even if I'm not living on campus?.

Thank you in advance ☺️
Original post by JessA1988
Hello,

I am a mature student currently studying an Access to HE in social science and health. I have received offers at Uni of Gloucestershire, Uni of Worcester and BCU to study Education studies. (Still waiting on Uni of Birmingham but I am fairly certain that will be a rejection).
Has anyone been to these universities that can offer some help on which to choose as I'm so torn!.
Are they welcoming for mature students? Are the facilities good? Will the social aspect still be good even if I'm not living on campus?.

Thank you in advance ☺️

Hi @JessA1988

I'm an undergraduate student here at BCU, but I'm sure I can fill you in on a bit more about studying here!

From my experience, I've met a mixture of under- and postgrad students while studying, so there is such a mix of students, and I've always felt welcome here.

The university in general has lots to offer. There's a wide selection of societies, so you can get involved in some extra curricular activities. There's always something going on on either City Centre or City South Campus that you can get involved with. And if I have ever needed it, I've always been able to find the right support from the university.

I know a lot of people who live at home instead of in student accommodation, so they're not necessarily living close by. But, we all meet for nights out, cinema trips, etc., so I think you'll still feel connected socially even if you live further away. There's lots of transport into the city centre, so there's always opportunity to travel to where you need to be!

If you have any more questions, please just ask away! And I'll see if I can help.
Good luck with your decision.
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @JessA1988

I'm an undergraduate student here at BCU, but I'm sure I can fill you in on a bit more about studying here!

From my experience, I've met a mixture of under- and postgrad students while studying, so there is such a mix of students, and I've always felt welcome here.

The university in general has lots to offer. There's a wide selection of societies, so you can get involved in some extra curricular activities. There's always something going on on either City Centre or City South Campus that you can get involved with. And if I have ever needed it, I've always been able to find the right support from the university.

I know a lot of people who live at home instead of in student accommodation, so they're not necessarily living close by. But, we all meet for nights out, cinema trips, etc., so I think you'll still feel connected socially even if you live further away. There's lots of transport into the city centre, so there's always opportunity to travel to where you need to be!

If you have any more questions, please just ask away! And I'll see if I can help.
Good luck with your decision.
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂

Thank you for your reply 😊 do they have offer holder days? As I wasn't able to make an open day but would like to see the campus before making my final decision.
Thank you for your reply 😊 do they have offer holder days? As I wasn't able to make an open day but would like to see the campus before making my final decision.

Hi @JessA1988

No problem! And yes we do!

Once you receive an offer, you should receive an email from BCU inviting you to an Applicant Taster Day - the same as an offer holder day. This might help you decide between your choices and to get a feel for the uni as you didn't get chance to at an open day.

Here is the web page if you need any more info: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/how-to-apply/after-you-apply/applicant-taster-days

All the best!
Emily 🙂
Hello,

Thank you in advance ☺️

Hi @JessA1988,

Congratulations on your offer!

Firstly, yes, UoG is very welcoming to mature students, and they make up a decent proportion of our students. On my course, there were a number of mature students who were included just like any other student!

There's also Welcome events in the first few weeks specifically for mature students to go to, to give them an opportunity to meet others who may be in a similar boat to them.

In terms of facilities and the course itself, try and visit UoG at an open event if you can! This will give you the best idea as to what's available and give you a real feel for the place. You can see our events here: https://www.glos.ac.uk/visit-us/

Our Education course ranks really highly in terms of support - scoring 90% for academic support in the National Student Survey 2023.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please ask!

Mara
UoG rep🙂
Reply 5
Original post by UoG Official Rep
Hi @JessA1988,

Congratulations on your offer!

Firstly, yes, UoG is very welcoming to mature students, and they make up a decent proportion of our students. On my course, there were a number of mature students who were included just like any other student!

There's also Welcome events in the first few weeks specifically for mature students to go to, to give them an opportunity to meet others who may be in a similar boat to them.

In terms of facilities and the course itself, try and visit UoG at an open event if you can! This will give you the best idea as to what's available and give you a real feel for the place. You can see our events here: https://www.glos.ac.uk/visit-us/

Our Education course ranks really highly in terms of support - scoring 90% for academic support in the National Student Survey 2023.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please ask!

Mara
UoG rep🙂

Hello,

Thank you for your reply 😊 I am attending an offer holder day soon which I'm looking forward to. It is currently my top choice so hoping I just get the grades I need for my offer 🤞🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending