The Student Room Group

uni panic - Psychology

I know I'm putting bath spa as my firm choice, but winchester only has a 1 grade lower requirements... is that too little of a gap or is it OK? also if I missed the entry requirements by one grade how likely would the uni be to offer me a place? if I ended up having to go through clearing will there be enough spaces available for me to be able to go to uni or will I probably have to take a gap year and reapply? I'm panicking :smile:

UPDATE: thanks for all the help guys, I've put Bath Spa as my firm and Winchester as my insurance :biggrin:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by pippa._b
I know I'm putting bath spa as my firm choice, but winchester only has a 1 grade lower requirements... is that too little of a gap or is it OK? also if I missed the entry requirements by one grade how likely would the uni be to offer me a place? if I ended up having to go through clearing will there be enough spaces available for me to be able to go to uni or will I probably have to take a gap year and reapply? I'm panicking :smile:

It is difficult to be definite but most universities accept dropped grades and I suspect Bath Spa will. The vast majority of courses are available in clearing every year.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
It is difficult to be definite but most universities accept dropped grades and I suspect Bath Spa will. The vast majority of courses are available in clearing every year.

I know most courses are, but I'm talking more about the fact that Psychology is such a popular course, will there be enough clearing spaces available??
These course were available in Bath Spa for 2022

https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/courses/ug-criminology-and-sociology/

Psychology was available in clearing for Bath Spa for 2022. Most courses are available in clearing each year other than for top universities. There will be psychology courses available without doubt
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Unless you get 3 E grades, both Bath Spa and Winchester will probably take you - neither can be that fussy.
PIck BS as your Firm and Winchester as your Insurance - and you wont need Clearing.
I’ve applied for bath spa too and i’m also firming it, my initial choice was royal holloway to firm (BBB) and pick bath spa as insurance (BBC) but many people told me to firm whatever uni offers the grades you think you’ll get (not hope as we call all hope to get a’s etc lol) and insure a backup with more dropped grades, ideally a couple below. Edit: for me the issue is one of my a level subjects which I know i would never have achieved a B grade in, so I’m letting them go to secure two safer spots rather than chasing a dream you can’t guarantee to happen, it also makes it easier to get guaranteed accommodation too as insurance choices/clearing won’t mean you get an accommodation you like.

Ultimately, it’ll mean on results day if you don’t get into your firm choice, you won’t be stressing about going through clearing as places snap up quickly, and you can never guarantee what unis will have clearing courses for what subjects, or the grades they’ll accept as some don’t drop grades from what they advertise on their usual entry requirements.

You can still look through clearing and turn down your insurance if you’ve found a course that’s suited for you at another university, you’ll just have to ring up your insurance and ask them to release you!

I’ve now chosen bath spa (BBC) as my firm with uwe (96ucas/CCC) as an insurance 🙂 (i hope this gives you some help as i was stressing too before making my decisions)
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by greentiger
I’ve applied for bath spa too and i’m also firming it, my initial choice was royal holloway to firm (BBB) and pick bath spa as insurance (BBC) but many people told me to firm whatever uni offers the grades you think you’ll get (not hope as we call all hope to get a’s etc lol) and insure a backup with more dropped grades, ideally a couple below. Edit: for me the issue is one of my a level subjects which I know i would never have achieved a B grade in, so I’m letting them go to secure two safer spots rather than chasing a dream you can’t guarantee to happen, it also makes it easier to get guaranteed accommodation too as insurance choices/clearing won’t mean you get an accommodation you like.

Ultimately, it’ll mean on results day if you don’t get into your firm choice, you won’t be stressing about going through clearing as places snap up quickly, and you can never guarantee what unis will have clearing courses for what subjects, or the grades they’ll accept as some don’t drop grades from what they advertise on their usual entry requirements.

You can still look through clearing and turn down your insurance if you’ve found a course that’s suited for you at another university, you’ll just have to ring up your insurance and ask them to release you!

I’ve now chosen bath spa (BBC) as my firm with uwe (96ucas/CCC) as an insurance 🙂 (i hope this gives you some help as i was stressing too before making my decisions)

what course??
what course??

geography 🙂

are you aware if there’s any bath spa gcs or anything for people going in september ??
Reply 9
are you aware if there’s any bath spa gcs or anything for people going in september ??

I've got no clue!

I don’t know who gave you the advice not to pick an aspirational firm but it’s terrible advice.

Most universities will accept firm applicants with one or 2 missed grades, many will accept even lower. UCAS will be releasing the data on what grades universities accepted in the past for each course in February.

Picking a firm that’s aspirational is why you have an insurance choice.

Your firm choice should ALWAYS be your FAVOURITE choice (regardless of the grades) ideally picked in April after you visit ALL your choices in the spring. There’s no advantage to replying to your offers early (especially given UCASs plans to reveal accepted grades data next month!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending