The Student Room Group

do I still have a chance at a Russel group uni?

I want to study finance/econ/accounting after my A-levels but I have been struggling with the requirements (specifically Russel group unis or American schools since I would love to go back to America after college and go to a uni like NYU)

This is mainly because I just finished my GCSEs and will be moving on to A-levels this September and my biggest issue is maths, this is because I have a feeling that I got a high 6 (B) instead of a 7 (A).

Most colleges require a 7 to study A-level maths and in turn many Russel group unis require A-level maths for finance related courses.

The reason for my lack of performance is because on the first maths paper I started panicking and couldn't think but paper 2 and 3 went amazing.

I'm fairly confident that I got a 7 and above in all of my other gcses besides maths so I honestly don't know what to do.

Here are the GCSEs I did and what i predict I am getting;
(English lang- 8/9, English lit - 7, Maths - 6, Science comb - 7/7, Sociology - 8/9, Psychology - 8, History - 6/7, German - 7, Re - 9)

The a-levels I plan on picking are the following;
If I get a 6 I plan to choose
- Economics
- Psychology
- Politics
- As level further maths (my college only offers as further maths)

If I get a 7 by some miracle I will be picking the following
- Economics
-Psychology
- Maths

I need some advice because I'm not really sure whether I should retake gcse maths if I get a 6 or wheter I should just do further maths AS because it contributes to ucas points and maybe makes me look even more qualified on my applications.
Reply 1
prehaps try loooking at the website?
Original post by joda222
I want to study finance/econ/accounting after my A-levels but I have been struggling with the requirements (specifically Russel group unis or American schools since I would love to go back to America after college and go to a uni like NYU)

This is mainly because I just finished my GCSEs and will be moving on to A-levels this September and my biggest issue is maths, this is because I have a feeling that I got a high 6 (B) instead of a 7 (A).

Most colleges require a 7 to study A-level maths and in turn many Russel group unis require A-level maths for finance related courses.

The reason for my lack of performance is because on the first maths paper I started panicking and couldn't think but paper 2 and 3 went amazing.

I'm fairly confident that I got a 7 and above in all of my other gcses besides maths so I honestly don't know what to do.

(English lang- 8/9, English lit - 7, Maths - 6, Science comb - 7/7, Sociology - 8/9, Psychology - 8, History - 6/7, German - 7, Re - 9)

- Economics
- Psychology
- Politics

- Economics
-Psychology
- Maths

I need some advice because I'm not really sure whether I should retake gcse maths if I get a 6 or wheter I should just do further maths AS because it contributes to ucas points and maybe makes me look even more qualified on my applications.
Reply 2
Original post by joda222

- Economics
- Psychology
- Politics

- Economics
-Psychology
- Maths

There are a lot of Russell Group accountancy courses that don't need a 7 in GCSE maths - Liverpool requires a 5, and Notts requires a 6, as just 2 examples. See what you get and decide from there. Lots of people end up getting higher than they think.

You might decide to do something else at Uni by then anyway. Most people end up doing jobs that are not related to their degrees, so it's best to pick a degree subject that you think you will enjoy, rather than based on the career that you currently think you will end up in.
I already did. My point is if a russel group requires a 7 and I get a 6 can I still get in my completing an AS in further maths or do I have to retake the gcse?
Original post by cvcvcvcdxs
prehaps try loooking at the website?
Original post by joda222
I already did. My point is if a russel group requires a 7 and I get a 6 can I still get in my completing an AS in further maths or do I have to retake the gcse?

You would need to ask each uni as it's down to their individual policy. Personally I would retake GCSE Maths if the worst comes to the worst but it's a bit hypothetical at this stage.
Thank you, this helped a lot. I don't know what exactly what I want to do but I am Interested in things like finance, economics, business management and marketing. I will probably just pick the a levels I like (econ, politics, psychology and maybe as further maths) and then try to get the best grades and make my decision on uni when I have more experience.

Original post by lalexm
There are a lot of Russell Group accountancy courses that don't need a 7 in GCSE maths - Liverpool requires a 5, and Notts requires a 6, as just 2 examples. See what you get and decide from there. Lots of people end up getting higher than they think.

You might decide to do something else at Uni by then anyway. Most people end up doing jobs that are not related to their degrees, so it's best to pick a degree subject that you think you will enjoy, rather than based on the career that you currently think you will end up in.
Original post by Admit-One
You would need to ask each uni as it's down to their individual policy. Personally I would retake GCSE Maths if the worst comes to the worst but it's a bit hypothetical at this stage.

Ok, that was very helpful. Thank you. I will just wait and see first I guess.
Original post by joda222

- Economics
- Psychology
- Politics

- Economics
-Psychology
- Maths

Hi there!

Cardiff Uni student here:smile:

Firstly, congratulations on such amazing predicted GCSE grades - they already open so many doors! Cardiff has so many options for courses in the subject that you['re interested in. It's definitely worth doing more research and attending a few open days once you're in college but at Cardiff, there are still Politics and Economics, Business Economics or Accounting, which you are still able to do without A-level Maths.

I hope that this gives you some direction and good luck with your results!

Jaz - Cardiff Uni rep
(edited 10 months ago)
Thank you very much!! I will look into it
dont just look at Russell group unis as well there are plenty of unis in the top 10 which are not part of the organisation such as St Andrews, Bath and Loughborough
Original post by joda222
Thank you very much!! I will look into it
Oh, I was not aware of that. I thought the ruseel groups were like the best. Kind of like ivy league in the us.
Thank you for telling me

Original post by user123456324
dont just look at Russell group unis as well there are plenty of unis in the top 10 which are not part of the organisation such as St Andrews, Bath and Loughborough
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there!

Cardiff Uni student here:smile:

Firstly, congratulations on such amazing predicted GCSE grades - they already open so many doors! Cardiff has so many options for courses in the subject that you['re interested in. It's defiantly worth doing more research and attending a few open days once you're in college but at Cardiff, there are still Politics and Economics, Business Economics or Accounting, which you are still able to do without A-level Maths.

I hope that this gives you some direction and good luck with your results!

Jaz - Cardiff Uni rep

*definitely
Reply 12
Original post by joda222

- Economics
- Psychology
- Politics

- Economics
-Psychology
- Maths

Heya!
I would recommend checking out what unis usually want in terms of GCSEs :h: Only a few unis like Oxford will want 7 and above on your GCSEs, usually unis just want around 6 in maths and english. If the uni you want to go into requires a 7 in GCSE maths, then consider retaking it but it's good to check! Also, it's very early to tell and you might have gotten a 7 or 8, don't give up yet!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 13
Original post by joda222
Oh, I was not aware of that. I thought the ruseel groups were like the best. Kind of like ivy league in the us.
Thank you for telling me

Hi! I'm a third year Lancaster University student, which is in the top 10 in the UK but is not a Russell Group University. The Russell Group Universities are just universities which went to a specific meeting at one point and formed the Russell Group, it isn't really relevant to the ranking of the universities. Yes, some of them are top unis, but there are plenty of high ranking unis which aren't Russell Group. I have really enjoyed Lancaster, and despite being a top-10 uni, it also has lower grade requirements than many other universities so I would recommend you have a look at the Lancaster uni website. Finance BSc Hons requires a 6 at maths GCSE and ABB at A-level. If you have any questions about Lancaster University feel free to reach out to me!
~ Georgia
Original post by glyoung
Hi! I'm a third year Lancaster University student, which is in the top 10 in the UK but is not a Russell Group University. The Russell Group Universities are just universities which went to a specific meeting at one point and formed the Russell Group, it isn't really relevant to the ranking of the universities. Yes, some of them are top unis, but there are plenty of high ranking unis which aren't Russell Group. I have really enjoyed Lancaster, and despite being a top-10 uni, it also has lower grade requirements than many other universities so I would recommend you have a look at the Lancaster uni website. Finance BSc Hons requires a 6 at maths GCSE and ABB at A-level. If you have any questions about Lancaster University feel free to reach out to me!
~ Georgia

Thank you! I will look into it!
Reply 15
Original post by username6252798

- Economics
- Psychology
- Politics

- Economics
-Psychology
- Maths

PS: I would suggest changing politics or Psychology for business if you enjoy economics (business and economics are basically the same course, so it makes your life easier)
For context I take business economics and politics
Original post by MARCU51
PS: I would suggest changing politics or Psychology for business if you enjoy economics (business and economics are basically the same course, so it makes your life easier)
For context I take business economics and politics

This is not good advice. Some top universities wont accept Economics and Business together due to overlap. They count them as 1 subject.

Quick Reply

Latest