The Student Room Group

Durham Law Job Prospects

Can anyone offer any answers on what it is like to study and graduate with a law degree at Durham?

I’m worried about how likely it’ll be to get a training contract, a job in the legal profession, and how easy it is to network there (esp since Durham isn’t a major city like London.)

I’ve heard of law graduates from UCL who were not able to receive any job or training contracts after graduating so I’m fretting a little. Of course, Durham is great, no doubt about that, but as a student from Ireland, will it be likely that I’ll get a training contract/ good job? I’d hate to have my parents pay extra for an education and then not produce any fruits.

I’m also wondering whether it would be better to go and study law at Durham, or whether I should stay in Ireland and study law here. Durham is my insurance, but I’m treating it as my firm since I most likely will not make my firm uni offer.
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

Durham is well renowned for being good for law. It currently sits at number 6 in the UK and I've definitely heard about people studying there getting TCs in the magic circle, etc.

@legallylucy on tiktok is a girl who just graduated with a first from Durham last year and received a TC offer for two magic circle firms! She has many posts about her legal journey.

That being said, going to Durham in itself does not guarantee you a TC. It is also about your grades, extracurriculars, etc. You do still have to put in work networking and otherwise, simply going to Durham will not be enough.

That being said, Durham in itself will absolutely not hinder you in any shape or form in achieving TC offers.
Reply 2
Original post by Qrki
Hey!
Durham is well renowned for being good for law. It currently sits at number 6 in the UK and I've definitely heard about people studying there getting TCs in the magic circle, etc.
@legallylucy on tiktok is a girl who just graduated with a first from Durham last year and received a TC offer for two magic circle firms! She has many posts about her legal journey.
That being said, going to Durham in itself does not guarantee you a TC. It is also about your grades, extracurriculars, etc. You do still have to put in work networking and otherwise, simply going to Durham will not be enough.
That being said, Durham in itself will absolutely not hinder you in any shape or form in achieving TC offers.

Hi! Thank you for the insights!!
I’ll definitely check out her insta- thank you!

Ahh I suppose that’s true no matter where you go. I’m just so afraid that I’ll make a mess of everything or not do enough, and then end up with no job ahah. I suppose I’ll just have to trust in myself to work hard.

Thank you for the response!
The university one goes to is far less important than the quality of the candidate and the strength of their CV.
Reply 4
Original post by Coeoe
Hi! Thank you for the insights!!
I’ll definitely check out her insta- thank you!
Ahh I suppose that’s true no matter where you go. I’m just so afraid that I’ll make a mess of everything or not do enough, and then end up with no job ahah. I suppose I’ll just have to trust in myself to work hard.
Thank you for the response!

No problem! She genuinely has a lot of advice and far better insight than I could ever provide regarding Durham law school.

You'll be grand! You know where you want to go and that can always be used as motivation. The quality and strength of a candidate is always valued more than their university. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by katana10000
The university one goes to is far less important than the quality of the candidate and the strength of their CV.

That's true, but one would have a better chance if they went to Oxbridge wouldn't they 😭 especially if both of them are similar in abilities
Reply 6
Original post by Qrki
No problem! She genuinely has a lot of advice and far better insight than I could ever provide regarding Durham law school.
You'll be grand! You know where you want to go and that can always be used as motivation. The quality and strength of a candidate is always valued more than their university. Best of luck :smile:

Yes she does! I see she's undertaking the SQE now. She seems like such a nice person too.

Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Original post by Coeoe
That's true, but one would have a better chance if they went to Oxbridge wouldn't they 😭 especially if both of them are similar in abilities

No. It depends on performance at interview and assessment. I haves interviewed graduates for training contracts in a couple of leading law firms and the university of the candidate is irrelevant and does not factor in the decision making processes
Reply 8
No. It depends on performance at interview and assessment. I haves interviewed graduates for training contracts in a couple of leading law firms and the university of the candidate is irrelevant and does not factor in the decision making processes

Ohh I see, I didn't know that! Thank you!

I know this is a bit early to ask... but would you mind sharing tips for the interviews? What are the firms mainly looking for? Is it knowledge or passion etc.? It's ok if not though!
Your application form should demonstrate outstanding academics, and interest in commercial law and knowledge of the firm. Then it depends on how you perform at interview/ assessment.

This is so true, lots of people on the student room believe that getting into a "target" university will mean that you are magically guaranteed a TC at a magic circle. I'd imagine that If this was true, then firms have the option to only take in Oxbridge students which isn't the case. I believe that people should aim for top universities for potential networking opportunities or perhaps as a personal goal/ achievement, rather than worrying whether X University is ranked two places above Y University on some bs rank list :lol:
Original post by Dele2412
This is so true, lots of people on the student room believe that getting into a "target" university will mean that you are magically guaranteed a TC at a magic circle. I'd imagine that If this was true, then firms have the option to only take in Oxbridge students which isn't the case. I believe that people should aim for top universities for potential networking opportunities or perhaps as a personal goal/ achievement, rather than worrying whether X University is ranked two places above Y University on some bs rank list :lol:

Just to clarify, this isn't targeted toward OP, but more generally the vast amount of tsr users who think their career prospects will somehow be damaged if they go to a place like KCL over say... LSE
Reply 12
Your application form should demonstrate outstanding academics, and interest in commercial law and knowledge of the firm. Then it depends on how you perform at interview/ assessment.

What if we get a 2:1... Would that mean it'll be unlikely for us to get a TC? Also that makes sense. Thanks so much! 😊
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Dele2412

Makes sense! How would you say the networking opportunities are like in Durham compared to.. let's say LSE? Would Durham be at a disadvantage here because of it's remote location?
Original post by Coeoe
What if we get a 2:1... Would that mean it'll be unlikely for us to get a TC? Also that makes sense. Thanks so much! 😊

A good 2:1 is fine. Since strong academics are a given these days for applicants to app law firms it’s everything else in your CV (particularly internships) that you need to focus on. I am astounded at people who have turned down universities such as Queen Mary’s, York, etc. to try again for another year because they think it will enhance their career prospects to go to Oxbridge, UCL, etc. The choice of university is really not that important and indeed, a number of law firms view CVs “blind” with the university information removed. It is also easier to stand out as an exceptional candidate from a lower ranked university than from an elite university. I reiterate that firms want the best candidates, regardless of university.
Original post by Coeoe
Makes sense! How would you say the networking opportunities are like in Durham compared to.. let's say LSE? Would Durham be at a disadvantage here because of it's remote location?

I think networking is much less important than a strong CV coupled with strong performance in online assessments, in order to be invited to interview.
Reply 16
A good 2:1 is fine. Since strong academics are a given these days for applicants to app law firms it’s everything else in your CV (particularly internships) that you need to focus on. I am astounded at people who have turned down universities such as Queen Mary’s, York, etc. to try again for another year because they think it will enhance their career prospects to go to Oxbridge, UCL, etc. The choice of university is really not that important and indeed, a number of law firms view CVs “blind” with the university information removed. It is also easier to stand out as an exceptional candidate from a lower ranked university than from an elite university. I reiterate that firms want the best candidates, regardless of university.

That's good to know! Thank you for the help 😊
I'm so sorry for asking so many questions... But do you know the best way to approach/apply for internships? Should I start in the summer after my a level equivalent or start applying during my first year of law?
I don't live in the UK though, so during the summer might not be feasible aha.
Reply 17
I think networking is much less important than a strong CV coupled with strong performance in online assessments, in order to be invited to interview.

Ooh 😮 I've always been told that networking is the main thing with law and business etc. that's actually reassuring to know as I don't think I'm the best at networking!!
Apply for spring internships in your first year.
Reply 19
Apply for spring internships in your first year.

Alright! I appreciate all the help Katana 💪Have a lovely Easter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending