The Student Room Group

Aerospace Eng: I left one UCAS option open, but I can’t decide where to apply!

I applied before the Oxbridge deadline, and left an option open on UCAS for a time like this. I want to apply for aerospace engineering, and I am much more interested in the space aspect. Originally my main choice was Bristol, as I went and saw it in person, has a great reputation and close proximity to a few aerospace companies. I’ve already received an offer from them, however after doing more research, I’ve come to realise that Southampton has a much more space based course than Bristol. I was originally planning to apply to ICL after I didn’t get an interview for Cambridge, however after realising the space emphasis in Southampton and the fact that I’d likely not do too well in the admissions assessment for ICL, I’m torn as to what I should do.
Is it really that much more advantageous to apply to Southampton if I really want to get into the space side of engineering? What is your advice on what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maybemiro
I applied before the Oxbridge deadline, and left an option open on UCAS for a time like this. I want to apply for aerospace engineering, and I am much more interested in the space aspect. Originally my main choice was Bristol, as I went and saw it in person, has a great reputation and close proximity to a few aerospace companies. I’ve already received an offer from them, however after doing more research, I’ve come to realise that Southampton has a much more space based course than Bristol. I was originally planning to apply to ICL after I didn’t get an interview for Cambridge, however after realising the space emphasis in Southampton and the fact that I’d likely not do too well in the admissions assessment for ICL, I’m torn as to what I should do.
Is it really that much more advantageous to apply to Southampton if I really want to get into the space side of engineering? What is your advice on what I should do?

To where have you applied so far? Cambridge (no interview), Bristol (offer), and where else?

Also, what are your predicted grades?
Southampton is a fantastic university for engineering. Better than Bristol.

Have you visited either city? The student life is very different in each (assuming that you are able to find anywhere to live in Bristol and don’t end up commuting in from wales).
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
To where have you applied so far? Cambridge (no interview), Bristol (offer), and where else?

Also, what are your predicted grades?

3A*A,.
I applied to Durham for General Engineering and Bath for Aerospace. I regret choosing Bath, but I wanted a general engineering option close to home so I believe I made a sound choice for Durham back then even though I wouldn’t pick it now
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Southampton is a fantastic university for engineering. Better than Bristol.

Have you visited either city? The student life is very different in each (assuming that you are able to find anywhere to live in Bristol and don’t end up commuting in from wales).

In what way is it better than Bristol? Bristol ranks much better for research from what I’ve searched.

I haven’t visited Southampton purely because it’s almost 5 hours away from home, but Bristol is also under 4 hours away. How is the student life very different?
In what way is it better than Bristol? Bristol ranks much better for research from what I’ve searched.

I haven’t visited Southampton purely because it’s almost 5 hours away from home, but Bristol is also under 4 hours away. How is the student life very different?

Not sure which research ranking you’re looking at but the most recent ref has Southampton way up for engineering https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ref-2021-engineering

The facilities are excellent and the links with space industry are outstanding. Last time I checked 100% of grads from the space aero pathway had jobs in the space industry.

Southampton as a university is much more of a campus than Bristol with different transport links from accommodation to campus to town (and doesn’t suffer from the accommodation crisis currently hitting Bristol), and the city has a much more laid back feel (which may or may not suit you). The common and parks are absolutely lovely.

if you have a spare choice on ucas and you are considering a career in aero or space then I would definitely recommend adding southampton. There will be visit days in the spring to go and see for yourself if the city and the university suits you.

from your other choices it doesn’t seem like London/big city life is something that you are particularly drawn to?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Not sure which research ranking you’re looking at but the most recent ref has Southampton way up for engineering https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ref-2021-engineering

The facilities are excellent and the links with space industry are outstanding. Last time I checked 100% of grads from the space aero pathway had jobs in the space industry.

Southampton as a university is much more of a campus than Bristol with different transport links from accommodation to campus to town (and doesn’t suffer from the accommodation crisis currently hitting Bristol), and the city has a much more laid back feel (which may or may not suit you). The common and parks are absolutely lovely.

if you have a spare choice on ucas and you are considering a career in aero or space then I would definitely recommend adding southampton. There will be visit days in the spring to go and see for yourself if the city and the university suits you.

from your other choices it doesn’t seem like London/big city life is something that you are particularly drawn to?

London isn’t a place I’m drawn to, but if I can get into Imperial, then I don’t care.

I just searched world university rankings and Bristol is much higher than Southampton.
London isn’t a place I’m drawn to, but if I can get into Imperial, then I don’t care.

I just searched world university rankings and Bristol is much higher than Southampton.

Do you mean the THE WUR? Were you looking at engineering specifically or overall?

Do you understand the metrics used by the THE WUR?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Do you mean the THE WUR? Were you looking at engineering specifically or overall?

Do you understand the metrics used by the THE WUR?

No not really. Could you explain, because I’ve also looked at this https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?sortby=research-quality
, and Bristol ranks a lot higher than Southampton?
No not really. Could you explain, because I’ve also looked at this https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?sortby=research-quality
, and Bristol ranks a lot higher than Southampton?

You’re looking at overall rankings for a subject that Southampton does well and Bristol does ok at. Bristol is very strong in other subjects but their engineering department is about half the size of Southampton’s and not producing the same standard of research. It’s like discounting a football team for not ranking highly at playing tennis.

what is it that matters to you from a university/city/department? Based on your OP and other choices then I would recommend Southampton (over Bath, Bristol, Durham and Imperial) - but if there’s some secret other factor that you haven’t mentioned then feel free to add it into the mix.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
You’re looking at overall rankings for a subject that Southampton does well and Bristol does ok at. Bristol is very strong in other subjects but their engineering department is about half the size of Southampton’s and not producing the same standard of research. It’s like discounting a football team for not ranking highly at playing tennis.

what is it that matters to you from a university/city/department? Based on your OP and other choices then I would recommend Southampton (over Bath, Bristol, Durham and Imperial) - but if there’s some secret other factor that you haven’t mentioned then feel free to add it into the mix.

[start]Well, the most important aspect for me is the course and prospects. If I can get into imperial, it would be amazing, but it’s extremely competitive. There are 11 applications to every 1 place, so since I didn’t even get an interview for Cambridge, I don’t think I’d do well getting into Imperial, even though I’d like academia and I get high grades.[/start]

[start]One thing that I also am looking forward to do is joining a rocket society at uni. Imperial have got a much bigger rocket society compared to Bristol. I’ve heard Southampton’s got one, but I don’t know how it compares to Bristol’s, even though I’d assume it would be more prestigious.[/start]

[start]My main problem is choosing between Southampton and Imperial for my final choice. If I can get into imperial, I would definitely go, but if I don’t, then I don’t know if I’m willing to go to Bristol if Southampton has a course more of what I’d like to pursue. Don’t get me wrong, the space sector in the UK is very small, but I’m determined. Would Southampton have similar graduate prospects to Imperial is that out of the question?[/start]

Having scene first hand recruitment for companies that work with space technology. I don’t think they’ll be a significant any difference between Bristol & Southampton for recruitment.

Space technology in the UK is centred around small very very focused SMEs who do very unique stuff that has applications in space however is not directly space tech itself, academia & a small number of companies who do a lot of defence work (space as an industry may well require you to go through security clearance protocols to get a job).

is there any benefit to Soton from a course perspective, maybe some additional background knowledge but I don’t think anything that an employer would particularly focus on over another strong aerospace program like Bristol.

both Bristol & Southampton are very reputable, along with Oxbridge, Imperial, Bath, Sheffield, Loughborough, Nottingham etc. are all on the milkround of top engineering space technology companies. Bristol still has imo a location advantage being on the door step of a lot of the aerospace defence contractors.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
Having scene first hand recruitment for companies that work with space technology. I don’t think they’ll be a significant any difference between Bristol & Southampton for recruitment.

Space technology in the UK is centred around small very very focused SMEs who do very unique stuff that has applications in space however is not directly space tech itself, academia & a small number of companies who do a lot of defence work (space as an industry may well require you to go through security clearance protocols to get a job).

is there any benefit to Soton from a course perspective, maybe some additional background knowledge but I don’t think anything that an employer would particularly focus on over another strong aerospace program like Bristol.

both Bristol & Southampton are very reputable, along with Oxbridge, Imperial, Bath, Sheffield, Loughborough, Nottingham etc. are all on the milkround of top engineering space technology companies. Bristol still has imo a location advantage being on the door step of a lot of the aerospace defence contractors.

You say Bristol has the advantage of being on the doorstep of aerospace defence contractors. What about specifically space based companies/programs? Would what you’re talking about be just the aeroplane aspect of it?
I’ve heard Southampton was the only university in the UK chosen to send some certain craft into space, so therefore they must have a lot of close links to aerospace companies too?
You say Bristol has the advantage of being on the doorstep of aerospace defence contractors. What about specifically space based companies/programs? Would what you’re talking about be just the aeroplane aspect of it?
I’ve heard Southampton was the only university in the UK chosen to send some certain craft into space, so therefore they must have a lot of close links to aerospace companies too?

Finding space only companies is quite difficult, even companies which want to do this generally have to diversify somewhat in order to be commercially viable.

Most space based companies work on a variety of technologies lots of which is also defence &/or aerospace related. Id note there is other stuff companies work on which is different to space and aircraft (“aeroplane aspect”), this is the more obvious stuff but far from an exclusive list.

I know of other universities particularly cubesat related technologies where other universities have sent into space so Southampton is definitely not the only ones, although they may well do some unique space based research.

Southampton probably does have close links but Bristol is the centre of the UK Aerospace industry where all the large contractors, manufacturers, consultants have offices. Nothing stopping you getting a train for interviews and things but if you are serious about working in space and work in the UK, Bristol along with the science park, Oxford are two locations people typically end up working out of.
(edited 3 months ago)

I would suggest Southampton as better for you than Bristol because you'll get into halls and not have to travel from Wales. Imperial is to be avoided as it's so toxic - little student support and cut-throat.
Reply 15
Original post by mnot
Finding space only companies is quite difficult, even companies which want to do this generally have to diversify somewhat in order to be commercially viable.

Most space based companies work on a variety of technologies lots of which is also defence &/or aerospace related. Id note there is other stuff companies work on which is different to space and aircraft (“aeroplane aspect”), this is the more obvious stuff but far from an exclusive list.

I know of other universities particularly cubesat related technologies where other universities have sent into space so Southampton is definitely not the only ones, although they may well do some unique space based research.

Southampton probably does have close links but Bristol is the centre of the UK Aerospace industry where all the large contractors, manufacturers, consultants have offices. Nothing stopping you getting a train for interviews and things but if you are serious about working in space and work in the UK, Bristol along with the science park, Oxford are two locations people typically end up working out of.

What if I want to go work abroad in the future? I understand getting security clearance would be very hard, but say I could, would it make a difference?
What if I want to go work abroad in the future? I understand getting security clearance would be very hard, but say I could, would it make a difference?

You would need security clearance for UK opportunities.

To work abroad will depend where, Space as an industry is pretty abnormal due to the high links to government & defence and the general struggle to do civil applications in a commercially viable manner (although hopefully one day this will change).

To get a job in US would be difficult and you would need to go through US equivalent of security clearance although terminology used is different and it is a far more difficult process then the UK security processes, if you have residence or non-US citizenship abroad even in countries like the UK this further complicates things (the UK ones are also not trivial and can be deeply personally intrusive depending on exactly where you want to work although if you don’t have any connections to certain obvious countries and don’t have questionable background flags you can probably obtain right to work with certain technologies).

Europe I imagine is very similar to UK, as UK is a ESA member although I don’t know the processes and opportunities for space work in Europe, I imagine major EU economies have some hubs.

Due to a lot of the industry having connections to sensitive technologies it is tougher to just move abroad for a job in space. It is important to note you also can’t just freely move, your home government will require you to notify them and may have restrictions on people who work on specific technologies abroad.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ

I have already replied with more information, but a couple more questions. You say Southamptons engineering deprtment is bigger so where did you find this out? I have also checked this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_endowment
and it says that Bristol is funded much more than Southampton. Surely if Bristol is funded better, then shouldn't it have a better department?
I have already replied with more information, but a couple more questions. You say Southamptons engineering deprtment is bigger so where did you find this out? I have also checked this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_endowment
and it says that Bristol is funded much more than Southampton. Surely if Bristol is funded better, then shouldn't it have a better department?

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ref-2021-engineering This lists the number of engineering researchers employed.

Endowments are minuscule at UK universities and you’re once again comparing the universities as a whole and not the specific engineering departments.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ref-2021-engineering This lists the number of engineering researchers employed.

Endowments are minuscule at UK universities and you’re once again comparing the universities as a whole and not the specific engineering departments.

Could you please explain what FTE and GPE mean?

Quick Reply

Latest