The Student Room Group

Student loan calculation unfair?

Does anybody else think its unfair that student loans are based off of household income total and not household income per person?

My dad is the only worker in my family and he is struggling financially. Lets say he makes £60,000 in a year. In a family of 6 this would mean their is a household income per person of £10,000. This would get me £4900 for the maintenance loan.

Lets say their is a second family with 3 people in a household bringing in £40,000. The household income per person would be £13,333. This would give you a maintenance loan of £7800.

The government expects parents to cover the maintenance loan reduction from the maximum available. Is it considered unfair that the second family, which is already more equipped to support the child from the larger income per person, has a larger maintenance loan?
The household income calculation does include a deduction of income for dependent children (and adults)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does anybody else think its unfair that student loans are based off of household income total and not household income per person?

My dad is the only worker in my family and he is struggling financially. Lets say he makes £60,000 in a year. In a family of 6 this would mean their is a household income per person of £10,000. This would get me £4900 for the maintenance loan.

Lets say their is a second family with 3 people in a household bringing in £40,000. The household income per person would be £13,333. This would give you a maintenance loan of £7800.

The government expects parents to cover the maintenance loan reduction from the maximum available. Is it considered unfair that the second family, which is already more equipped to support the child from the larger income per person, has a larger maintenance loan?

Except it doesn't work like that. You tend to live within your means and therefore earning more usually means you have things families earning less will go without. I doubt you or your siblings cost your dad £10k a year each.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending