The Student Room Group

Question about maintenance loan

My accommodation hall bookings open tomorrow (Monday March 4th, I'm applying for Manchester Metropolitan University). The student finance website is still not open, so when it does open is that when I apply for a maintenance loan? Will it cover my accommodation fees? Cus they're EXPENSIVE this year!
Do I apply for accommodation first and then the loan?
(edited 1 month ago)
SFE hasn't announced the date when applications will open yet but it is expected to be this month. When you apply for accommodation is up to you. Every uni is different when it comes to the terms they impose on students. For the majority of unis, accommodation won't be allocated until after results day when places are confirmed. Some might require a deposit upfront, some don't.

You can get an idea of what maintenance loan you could get by using the student finance calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
SFE hasn't announced the date when applications will open yet but it is expected to be this month. When you apply for accommodation is up to you. Every uni is different when it comes to the terms they impose on students. For the majority of unis, accommodation won't be allocated until after results day when places are confirmed. Some might require a deposit upfront, some don't.

You can get an idea of what maintenance loan you could get by using the student finance calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
So if I book my accommodation right now and get my maintenance loan later, that's okay?
Also, my full rent for a year is 7k and my maintenance loan will only be 4k. If I have a job and work, will that be enough to pay back?
Original post by HayVickay
So if I book my accommodation right now and get my maintenance loan later, that's okay?
Also, my full rent for a year is 7k and my maintenance loan will only be 4k. If I have a job and work, will that be enough to pay back?

Yes - all students have to do this as the first installment of your maintenance loan will only be paid when you start uni in Sep.

If you are only entitled to the minimum maintenance loan, then your parents are expected to make up the difference (though not all do). To get a higher loan you will need to submit details of your household income.

You don't start to pay back the loan until the April after you graduate and if you are earning above the income threshold.
Hi,
Most unis open their accommodation well before they allocate accommodation, as most students will have a conditional offer that we will need to firm after results day.
As the person above has said, have a look at the rough amount you’ll get for maintenance loan and see what accommodation would be within your budget.

SFE will probably open its applications quite soon, as they normally open up in March, but it can sometimes take a few weeks to find out how much you’ll get as they will have a lot of applications to go through.

A lot of students have part time jobs to help with rent and general living while at university, such as being a student ambassador. Maybe getting part time job would be good idea, if the accommodation your wanting isn’t covered by your maintenance loan?

Hope this helps!

Suzan - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending