The Student Room Group

Masters then a second degree

Can I do a Masters and then embark on a second degree (the second degree is an AHP subject - Diagnostic Radiology)
Original post by cathell
Can I do a Masters and then embark on a second degree (the second degree is an AHP subject - Diagnostic Radiology)

Hi there,

Does the Diagnostic Radiology course include a Masters, or is it just a degree?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
The Diagnostic Radiology is a degree (AHP) but am thinking about doinga amsters first. I already have or will have a BSc (graduate in May)
Reply 3
So its just a degree not a masters degree
Original post by cathell
So its just a degree not a masters degree

Thanks, Radiology courses can be exceptions, which means you'll be eligible for funding regardless of your previous study, even if you have a Masters.

If you have a particular course and university in mind let us know and we'll check to make sure it's an exception.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 5
If the second degree was a Masters degree (as in a 4 year honours degree with masters attached ) would I then have to get funding for a masters for that final year? (And in that case Im guessing if I already had a masters I would not be eligible for the Masters Loan. )
Original post by cathell
If the second degree was a Masters degree (as in a 4 year honours degree with masters attached ) would I then have to get funding for a masters for that final year? (And in that case Im guessing if I already had a masters I would not be eligible for the Masters Loan. )

You could do a pre-registration masters in diagnostic radiography instead of another undergraduate degree (if you meet the entry requirements). It's a 2-year course rather than the 3-year BSc and you would still qualify to enter the NHS on band 5. Pre-reg masters usually qualify for undergraduate funding.
Reply 7
That sounds great. When you say undergraduate funding you mean tution fees and full maintenance loan? (rather than taking a masters loan) and NHS bursary ?
Reply 8
If so ( and also if on the BSc Radiology) does the £5k NHS grant get dedected from any potential maintenence loan or is it in addition?
Original post by cathell
That sounds great. When you say undergraduate funding you mean tution fees and full maintenance loan? (rather than taking a masters loan) and NHS bursary ?

Yes both tuition fee and maintenance loans. If you study a pre-registration masters (or BSc) at a uni in England and are eligible for student finance, then you would be able to apply to the NHS Learning Support Fund for the annuial training grant in addition to your student loans.
Reply 10
So just to clarify - it must be a pre registartion masters to qualify for undergraduate funding ?
Original post by cathell
So just to clarify - it must be a pre registartion masters to qualify for undergraduate funding ?

I'm fairly certain. The SFE reps will be able to confirm this.
Original post by cathell

That's correct. If you do have a course and university for us to check we can also look into this to confirm eligibility. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending