The Student Room Group

Doing second degree

I am 39 year old that holds a degree and masters with teaching qualifications but I have always regretted doing the degree that I did I lived in abusive household has child and felt pushed to make decisions or do things for others now that I am older and in safe environment and with amazing supportive partner I have two options in a the career change either psychology or med school I want to know if any one here knows that psychology is covered for second degree and know med school is but if I don’t get in to med school this is may back up if anyone that knows that would be great the courses that I have looked are on open uni and Wolverhampton uni part time in psychology and counselling many thanks
Original post by Aj84
I am 39 year old that holds a degree and masters with teaching qualifications but I have always regretted doing the degree that I did I lived in abusive household has child and felt pushed to make decisions or do things for others now that I am older and in safe environment and with amazing supportive partner I have two options in a the career change either psychology or med school I want to know if any one here knows that psychology is covered for second degree and know med school is but if I don’t get in to med school this is may back up if anyone that knows that would be great the courses that I have looked are on open uni and Wolverhampton uni part time in psychology and counselling many thanks
@Aj84
It sounds like you have had a really challenging time. You are never too old to learn - I started my Masters whilst I was about 33. I did my course at Arden University, where they do accredited degrees and masters', and a massive advantage if you didn't have a student loan was you could 'activate' a new Unit once you had the money to start it - there was a flexibility in the length of time you could do the course (I can't remember what it is and it might vary by course).

The key bit of advice would be to choose a method of study that works for you. At Arden there was a mix of blended learning options at centres in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, and London or you could do it 100% online, and they have the best virtual learning environment I have ever seen.

If you want to get into a career in Psychology, you need a doctorate level qualification in something like Educational or Clinical Psychology which is beyond a Masters. You don't need to have a masters to get onto doctorate level study, you might have experience in the area instead

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Id just like to say something that goes a little against the post above, you don’t need a doctorate for a successful psychology career, there are a few psychology roles that require it such as a Clinical Psychologist but the majority do not.
Counselling for example you don’t technically need anything to call yourself a counsellor, although their is accreditation you can get through studying at masters level (definitely don’t need a PHD for counselling)
Forensic psychology roles don’t always need a PHD/doctorate too :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Autumn223
Id just like to say something that goes a little against the post above, you don’t need a doctorate for a successful psychology career, there are a few psychology roles that require it such as a Clinical Psychologist but the majority do not.
Counselling for example you don’t technically need anything to call yourself a counsellor, although their is accreditation you can get through studying at masters level (definitely don’t need a PHD for counselling)
Forensic psychology roles don’t always need a PHD/doctorate too :smile:
Hope this helps!

I am not looking to do a phd i want to know if students loans will cover a part psychology degree with the open uni has it’s bit hazy on what courses come under the requirements for funding by them for some one that already hold a degree
Original post by Aj84
I am not looking to do a phd i want to know if students loans will cover a part psychology degree with the open uni has it’s bit hazy on what courses come under the requirements for funding by them for some one that already hold a degree

Yep I know, the post above was suggesting a PHD was necessary, I was reassuring that it wasn’t.
I think the best way to find that out is to contact the universities you are looking at directly and then get in contact with student finance if necessary
Original post by Aj84

One caveat - med school only attracts partial funding as a second degree, you'd still need to finance a part of it yourself. I have no clue about psychology though. We have the Ask Student Finance forum, in which you can ask about what sort of funding you'd get, if any, for doing psychology as a second degree :smile:
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest