The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Portfolio submission CSM 2024

Hi, I'm an international student.
I'm currently applying for the fashion womenswear BA at CSM.
I have some questions.

Does anybody know how many days after applying for admission, did you submit your portfolio?

and how many pages and projects did you do for your portfolio?

Is it impossible without a foundation degree?
Reply 1
Hi! I'm a current student at UAL foundation at LCF.
To start, it's usually a week or two ish ruffly when you'll get an email asking you to submit your portfolio. From there, you have ruffly 10 days to a 2 weeks after you get your email to submit you portfolio. Each date varies and it tells you on the email you get.
The max amount of pages you're able to present are 25.
And sadly, because of how competitive CSM is, especially womenswear is, submitting to BA without doing a foundation year or having previous years of art school means that it's unlikely that an applicant would get in. Being in UAL, it's really competitive to get into BA and everyone's working their best to get in.
But, if you're portfolio is good enough, they might instead give you an offer to their foundation course, which is also very competitive and I high recommend doing because it opens up so many different perspectives and opportunities. Also, some say that their foundation year was their favorite year. I personally don't like my LCF foundation a lot but I bet the CSM one is a lot different.

Hope this helps and the best of luck!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jonnyslay
Hi! I'm a current student at UAL foundation at LCF.
To start, it's usually a week or two ish ruffly when you'll get an email asking you to submit your portfolio. From there, you have ruffly 10 days to a 2 weeks after you get your email to submit you portfolio. Each date varies and it tells you on the email you get.
The max amount of pages you're able to present are 25.
And sadly, because of how competitive CSM is, especially womenswear is, submitting to BA without doing a foundation year or having previous years of art school means that it's unlikely that an applicant would get in. Being in UAL, it's really competitive to get into BA and everyone's working their best to get in.
But, if you're portfolio is good enough, they might instead give you an offer to their foundation course, which is also very competitive and I high recommend doing because it opens up so many different perspectives and opportunities. Also, some say that their foundation year was their favorite year. I personally don't like my LCF foundation a lot but I bet the CSM one is a lot different.

Hope this helps and the best of luck!

Thanks for your reply.
So, after getting an email to submit my portfolio, i have about 10days or 2weeks to prepare for it right??
The reason why i’m asking you that i need more time to prepare for my portfolio.
I’m not sue i understood exactly what you said.

I have some other questions.

Do applicants for CSM usually try to make max 25 pages for their portfolio?
I wonder quantity is as important as quality.
Cuz my tutor at art academy told me that i have to submit max pages but i dont want to include pages not showing my intention.

I have one more question.
You are currently a student at foundation of LCF. Is there reason why you dont like it?
What is different from CSM?
I heard LCF is more practical than CSM. That is only thing I knew.

Sorry, i ask so many questions 🙏🙏🙏
Reply 3
Original post by sophistic
Thanks for your reply.
So, after getting an email to submit my portfolio, i have about 10days or 2weeks to prepare for it right??
The reason why i’m asking you that i need more time to prepare for my portfolio.
I’m not sue i understood exactly what you said.

I have some other questions.

Do applicants for CSM usually try to make max 25 pages for their portfolio?
I wonder quantity is as important as quality.
Cuz my tutor at art academy told me that i have to submit max pages but i dont want to include pages not showing my intention.

I have one more question.
You are currently a student at foundation of LCF. Is there reason why you dont like it?
What is different from CSM?
I heard LCF is more practical than CSM. That is only thing I knew.

Sorry, i ask so many questions 🙏🙏🙏

Hi!
Sorry for the miscommunication if any, but what I mean is unless you’re ready to submit your portfolio within those 10-14days after you receive an email to submit your portfolio, don’t submit your application. It varies for each person but it recommended to at least have a substance of a portfolio (or just work) before you actually apply. I’ve been working on my portfolio since June of last year in preparation for this application.

For the amount of pages, use all of the pages to show as much as you can. One of my projects take up at least 20 ish pages but I’m still using the other 5 to show what else I can do. But rather than quantity of pages show the process of how you got to certain ideas and showcase your creativity through exploration and experimentation.

And finally yes, LCF is more practical and CSM, it’s just that the course that I’m taking, level 3 (there’s two foundation at LCF), is an introduction class to fashion. I’m relearning a lot of things I’ve already learned and I don’t feel challenged while in class. For CSM foundation, they give them projects to work on and encourage them to explore and experiment with the different ideas.

Also keep in mind, when applying for any foundation, don’t go into it thinking that you’re going to learn how to sew or draw. They don’t teach any of that (you’ll learn that in BA).

All in all foundation is just a year where tutors help you make a good portfolio for BA. The only benefit of going into CSM foundation is that you’re more likely to attend CSM BA than people from other foundation courses or people who don’t.

Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by jonnyslay
Hi!
Sorry for the miscommunication if any, but what I mean is unless you’re ready to submit your portfolio within those 10-14days after you receive an email to submit your portfolio, don’t submit your application. It varies for each person but it recommended to at least have a substance of a portfolio (or just work) before you actually apply. I’ve been working on my portfolio since June of last year in preparation for this application.

For the amount of pages, use all of the pages to show as much as you can. One of my projects take up at least 20 ish pages but I’m still using the other 5 to show what else I can do. But rather than quantity of pages show the process of how you got to certain ideas and showcase your creativity through exploration and experimentation.

And finally yes, LCF is more practical and CSM, it’s just that the course that I’m taking, level 3 (there’s two foundation at LCF), is an introduction class to fashion. I’m relearning a lot of things I’ve already learned and I don’t feel challenged while in class. For CSM foundation, they give them projects to work on and encourage them to explore and experiment with the different ideas.

Also keep in mind, when applying for any foundation, don’t go into it thinking that you’re going to learn how to sew or draw. They don’t teach any of that (you’ll learn that in BA).

All in all foundation is just a year where tutors help you make a good portfolio for BA. The only benefit of going into CSM foundation is that you’re more likely to attend CSM BA than people from other foundation courses or people who don’t.

Hope this helps

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending