The Student Room Group

What jobs are available for law grads with anxiety

Hi,
I am a 2:1 law graduate and I have anxiety. I genuinely cannot deal with clients, my brain freezes up.

Recently Ive been applying to paralegal and assistant roles in law firms but I realise it’s not for me.

What jobs can I do that don’t involve much client contact?

Thank you
Original post by sophieee789
Hi,
I am a 2:1 law graduate and I have anxiety. I genuinely cannot deal with clients, my brain freezes up.

Recently Ive been applying to paralegal and assistant roles in law firms but I realise it’s not for me.

Thank you

Hi @sophieee789,

I would have a look at either more administrative roles within legal organisations such as charities like the National Centre for Domestic Violence or School Consent Project as this would allow you to work in law and use your legal knowledge but without being client facing.

Alternatively, perhaps you could look at working with the Law commission on more policy related stuff which once again focuses more on office work and is less client facing. Although, sometimes these roles do require advocacy which, with anxiety, may be challenging.

Personally, I would reach out to a careers advisor as they will be best placed to help you find the career that works best for you, using all of your strengths and your wishes 🙂

I hope this helps a bit and good luck!

Sophie
go to a counsellor or therapist - don't let this decide your career!
Reply 3
I certainly don't mean to trivialise anxiety in the serious medical sense, but there's a world of difference between a medical diagnosis of anxiety that seriously affects all aspects of your life, and anxiety or nervousness around client contact in your first professional job.

If your anxiety is more towards the latter I don't think you should let this guide your career choices - lots of trainee solicitors & paralegals find client contact/negotiating etc... very intimidating. It's a skill that you build over time and if you're working in a medium to large law firm junior legal roles can have quite limited client contact in your earlier years as you'll be preparing documents or research for the more senior lawyers in the team, or liaising directly with a similarly nervous trainee/junior acting for the other party.

From personal experience I remember how intimidating and nervous I was when I had to speak to clients very early in my career - it was scary and not something I particularly enjoyed! 14 years of experience later it all feels very natural, it's enjoyable and I've had a number of colleagues tell me how calm and at ease I come across with clients - if someone had told me that when I was 21 I wouldn't have believed them! - Working and communicating well with clients is a skill - some find it easier/harder than others at the start - but everyone has to practice and train it - the vast majority of people who come across as confident, natural communicators have religiously practiced and prepared to get to that.

Which is all a very long-winded way of saying - don't write yourself off just yet.
(edited 2 months ago)
What are the closing dates for UNISA's 2023 PGCE applications, sources fundsafrica.co.za and why is timely submission crucial for aspiring educators?"
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by sophieee789
Hi,
Thank you
Hi there,

Congrats on finishing Law School with such a high grade. I would say that law is a degree that many employers respect even outside the legal sector, so it is quite common for many law graduates to take up jobs in other fields. If you feel that it is the client interaction that you are opposed to, some jobs require a similar level of problem-solving skills amongst others that law graduates are in. Administrative jobs would be a good fit. If you wanted to stay close to a legal career, you could get jobs within a firm that are removed from the client interaction as well. I think a Paralegal is a good example.

Best wishes,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador,
Glory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending