The Student Room Group

keep failing assessment centres and job interviews?

I have failed so many job interviews and assessment centres and i do not know whats wrong with me. half the time its over minor things. Ill list everything I have failed:

PWC audit- failed because i did not seem sufficiently motivated for audit

Vendigital- messed up the written task but did well in the interview

Global relay- did nto seem motivated enough or did not give specific enough behaviours

PA consulting- waiting on feedback

LCP- Did not research enough apparently

Its really affected my anxiety and i with drew from schemes i was not interested in as a result like GSK and deloitte.

I just need to improve and do it consistently, it feels like its pure luck for me in spite of me preparing and practicisng interview questions, makes me feel like i am just unlikeable.
Reply 1
Try not to worry, these things are demanding. A recruiter told me on average it takes 7 interviews to land a job you want. The important thing is to learn something from each one, which you are, and to keep going. Personally I think positive energy at interview is one of the most important things
I have been invited to a Launch Pad at KPMG in March and I am thinking these things too. I have anxiety and it will effect the way I feel on that day
Reply 3
Original post by powertraits123
I have failed so many job interviews and assessment centres and i do not know whats wrong with me. half the time its over minor things. Ill list everything I have failed:

Global relay- did nto seem motivated enough or did not give specific enough behaviours

Its really affected my anxiety and i with drew from schemes i was not interested in as a result like GSK and deloitte.

I just need to improve and do it consistently, it feels like its pure luck for me in spite of me preparing and practicisng interview questions, makes me feel like i am just unlikeable.

I felt similar back when I was applying for agrad schemes yrs ago. The best thing I did was applying for junior-level roles that didn't have these many stages and avoiding grad schemes (I know firms like Capgemini and Civil Service have many good roles available). Try also reaching out to recruiters who can recommend you to roles.

Make sure to take breaks and see your friends. Job hunting anxiety can take it's toll
Those are all tough grad schemes - keep going, you can always reapply.
Reply 5
Original post by powertraits123

Do you have a ND condition? That (or even anxiety on its own tbh) would qualify you for reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process, which includes but is not limited to receiving questions in advance, not being judged on eye contact / body language etc
Am wondering if that would help given two of your feedbacks were regarding "motivation" which is usually less of a personal "flaw" per se, and more a symptom of something else.
Im in the same position. I constantly fail interviews and ACs due to my anxiety. Still unsure how to get through it
Have you considered McDonalds?
Reply 8
same here, had more than 20 interviews, although not all final rounds, but still no job offer yet

I am more than a year out of graduation… and this is aggravating my anxiety too…
Original post by username6736141

Hello, really sorry about these but don't worry I am pretty sure including myself there are other graduates who have failed to get a decent job till now. I wanted to ask, for PWC was your AC last year November-December? If yeah could you please share any insight on what to avoid, what kinda questions they ask, how to go about writing the email and calls, what to do well and what exactly they ask in the interview and what did you mean by you didn't get it because you seemed insufficiently motivated?
You're doing well, each experience is useful and I am sure you'll get more comfortable with it the more you do it. It's very impressive you've got this many interviews/assessment centres, you must be very good! Don't give up. It's a difficult market at the moment unfortunately.

I've always been a bit iffy about these interviews or centres where they're judging you as a person, because everyone expresses differently and I feel it can sometimes be a bit discriminatory... By the sounds of it though, you're not bad either in behaviour or exercise if your feedback is that split, the assessment side of things is easy to fix as it just means more studying but if you're wanting to figure out how to tackle the behaviour side, might I suggest looking into interview coaching or practise (with friends/family)? My father suggested it to me as my ND traits are hindering my performance a bit and I think it is a good idea. They can give you more detailed feedback about how you should better present yourself and it should get you more comfortable in these situations.

Keep trying, you'll get there! 🙂 but if you can, take some time to recover a bit, I understand these things can burn one out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending