The Student Room Group

Early Graduate Job Application

So, I'm in my second year of my robotics engineering degree and I hear most of my friends in their final year stressing about their graduate jobs and vice versa. I was thinking, if I'm predicted to achieve a 2:1 overall. What stops me from applying to graduate jobs early? So I came here to ask if i can and if i should. Thank you.
Reply 1
most graduate schemes start the September after you apply and by that point you need to have already achieved the required degree grade
If you happened to find one that starts a year later though then go for it
Original post by Amqali2003
So, I'm in my second year of my robotics engineering degree and I hear most of my friends in their final year stressing about their graduate jobs and vice versa. I was thinking, if I'm predicted to achieve a 2:1 overall. What stops me from applying to graduate jobs early? So I came here to ask if i can and if i should. Thank you.

When do you graduate? If you're applying for a grad schemes typically recruit a year in advance; grad jobs can also be that far in advance or they can also be much sooner - a grad job that is open now is probably expecting a summer/autumn start this year. If you're not available for the start date then you won't be able to take the role.
Original post by Amqali2003

Majority of companies hiring for STEM roles start advertising the positions in September-October, with the first day at work being in the following summer.
Right now it is a bit too early, but you could do a summer placement if you wanted to. It's always good to have some extra work experience before you graduate, especially if it's relevant to your course. Or even do a 12 month one, which is even better.
Have a look here - https://www.gradcracker.com/
I found gradcracker to be the best place to search for internships and graduate roles, I used it myself in the past when I was at Uni looking for graduate jobs.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ThatguyAl
Majority of companies hiring for STEM roles start advertising the positions in September-October, with the first day at work being in the following summer.
Right now it is a bit too early, but you could do a summer placement if you wanted to. It's always good to have some extra work experience before you graduate, especially if it's relevant to your course. Or even do a 12 month one, which is even better.
Have a look here - https://www.gradcracker.com/
I found gradcracker to be the best place to search for internships and graduate roles, I used it myself in the past when I was at Uni looking for graduate jobs.

+1 on the Gradcracker recommendation, I'm starting a grad scheme in Sep that I wouldn't ever have known about without it lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending