The Student Room Group

Diving into relationships for first time

I've always been quite unsure of myself when it comes to relationships. For a while I had never fully contemplated the idea of ever being in one. But now I am 19 and think I do want a relationship, but various factors seem to be making it challenging to traverse.

Firstly, I'm a gay man, so trying to find a guy who likes you back is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Secondly, I am extremely quiet, and don't like to go to clubs, e.t.c.
Thirdly, I have a completely different sleep schedule to most people my age (I wake up early like 7am and sleep at like 9pm) which makes it difficult to arrange things with people since others always want to go out like late afternoon and get back late which always frustrates me.
Fourthly, I would say my personality outweighs my physical attractiveness.
Finally, I am a pretty unique person and people are often surprised by random things about me.

So yeah, not sure how to approach the whole thing. Luckily I'm currently a University student so tend to come across lots of different people all the time. However it seems kind awkward going up to some random guy who I think looks fit and asking him to go on a date when he's probably straight.

No doubt some relationship expert out there can give me some advice for my specific situation. Really am just looking for someone who I can share my problems with and I know will always be there for me. Like I have friends but there's something missing when it comes to them.
Original post by Dreyver
I've always been quite unsure of myself when it comes to relationships. For a while I had never fully contemplated the idea of ever being in one. But now I am 19 and think I do want a relationship, but various factors seem to be making it challenging to traverse.

Firstly, I'm a gay man, so trying to find a guy who likes you back is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Secondly, I am extremely quiet, and don't like to go to clubs, e.t.c.
Thirdly, I have a completely different sleep schedule to most people my age (I wake up early like 7am and sleep at like 9pm) which makes it difficult to arrange things with people since others always want to go out like late afternoon and get back late which always frustrates me.
Fourthly, I would say my personality outweighs my physical attractiveness.
Finally, I am a pretty unique person and people are often surprised by random things about me.

So yeah, not sure how to approach the whole thing. Luckily I'm currently a University student so tend to come across lots of different people all the time. However it seems kind awkward going up to some random guy who I think looks fit and asking him to go on a date when he's probably straight.

No doubt some relationship expert out there can give me some advice for my specific situation. Really am just looking for someone who I can share my problems with and I know will always be there for me. Like I have friends but there's something missing when it comes to them.

This might seem not like an answer you were hoping for but have you tried tinder or hinge etc? Many people I know swear by hinge specifically.

You can specify whether you’re a morning person, like clubbing or whatever else which would make it easier to find a potential match. Often being able to text someone for a while before meeting face to face can make it less daunting. Don’t worry though you aren’t the only person who hasn’t been in a relationship at your age!

Have you ever fancied going to any gay clubs? Do you have friends that would? It might be a bit out your comfort zone but you might enjoy it with a couple friends and find some people who could be a potential spouse.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending