The Student Room Group

Fee Status Change

Hi,

So I am a first year and have been classified as an international student at uni. I accepted the offer with that fee status (perhaps rather stupidly) because I believed I was exempt from home status due to my living abroad for education purposes.

For context, I went to primary school in the UK. However, for secondary school, I returned back to my home country. The aim of returning was purely educational as my parents wanted me to go to a fee paying school but couldn’t afford it here. We sold our house but retained financial dealings in the UK, including bank accounts, national insurance, etc. They run a business based in the UK as well so they continue to mostly reside in the UK in a family friends home, and have NHS coverage.

Now I know it’s term time and all, but I’ve spoken to a lot of people in situations like mine or worse than mine who are here in uni with home fees. My parents aren’t rich by any measure but they’re sacrificing a lot to pay my international fees which I now believe I may not even have to pay. Could anyone please advise me on whether it’s worth appealing my status?

My uni says we have the option to appeal mid-course in certain circumstances. Do you believe it’s worth doing so?
Original post by anaveragekid
Hi,

So I am a first year and have been classified as an international student at uni. I accepted the offer with that fee status (perhaps rather stupidly) because I believed I was exempt from home status due to my living abroad for education purposes.

For context, I went to primary school in the UK. However, for secondary school, I returned back to my home country. The aim of returning was purely educational as my parents wanted me to go to a fee paying school but couldn’t afford it here. We sold our house but retained financial dealings in the UK, including bank accounts, national insurance, etc. They run a business based in the UK as well so they continue to mostly reside in the UK in a family friends home, and have NHS coverage.

Now I know it’s term time and all, but I’ve spoken to a lot of people in situations like mine or worse than mine who are here in uni with home fees. My parents aren’t rich by any measure but they’re sacrificing a lot to pay my international fees which I now believe I may not even have to pay. Could anyone please advise me on whether it’s worth appealing my status?

My uni says we have the option to appeal mid-course in certain circumstances. Do you believe it’s worth doing so?

Hi there,

Just to confirm what is your status in the UK and when did you return to the UK? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Just to confirm what is your status in the UK and when did you return to the UK? Thanks, Jason

Hi. I am a UK citizen from birth and returned following my A levels in 2022.
Original post by anaveragekid
Hi. I am a UK citizen from birth and returned following my A levels in 2022.

Thanks when 2022 did you return and where were you living prior to this? Can you also confirm if this was a temporary break? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks when 2022 did you return and where were you living prior to this? Can you also confirm if this was a temporary break? Thanks, Jason

Summer of 2022, June to be precise. Just after my A level exams ended. I was previously living in Pakistan.

Yes it was temporary in the sense I was always meant to return (I only went back for studies) but I did complete both my GCSEs and A levels from Pakistan. My parents maintained a base in the UK and spent most of their time running their business based here. They lived with family friends in their house but have NHS coverage, national insurance numbers etc (as do I). I lived with my elder brother, and they visited me and I visited them etc. Now that my education is completed we are reunited and I will be living full time in the UK post-graduation.
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi anaveragekid,

So have you made a student finance application and had a decision on this?

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending