The Student Room Group

Effective study methods?

Effective study? A*/A

I need someone that has got A*/A on their Alevels (or just general studying) for chemistry, biology and economics
Or anyone that knows effective methods to review my planned studying

Typical day:

Morning:

5-7am recalling, this includes blurting, explaining to myself the concept I’ve missed, go through flashcards and do textbook, online questions

During school, ofc I have lessons, but during my frees, I Mindmap content that I have completely forgotten (I’m studying everything from the beginning)
But usually it ends up being lots of words and I make them into FCS on my quizlet

If I can, I’ll do scoping before I attend my lessons to know what I’m getting myself into

After school:

I study from 7-10, teaching myself content, doing flashcards and questions if I can. But mostly teach myself stuff and make fcs so I can review it tomorrow and do questions in the morning or in school.

Right now, I’m focusing on actually understanding the content, making flashcards and then establishing spaced repetition

I also want to, or think I am already applying interleaving.

My idea of interleaving is to get similar topics in a subject and just focus on it.

So 50 mins on mutations, then 50 mins on function of proteins, 50 mins of inheritance. Then repeat, until I understand it

My questions are

Is this interleaving?

When I learn content, when should I do questions on it?

As soon as I learn it, or wait a couple of hours or space it throughout the week

By questions I mean exam questions

Are there any other methods that I haven’t mentioned or have that I should improve?

When should I do past papers?
Should I fully learn the content then do them? Or do them anyways as practice until the real thing?

Thanks
Okay so I don't know which study technique will work for you. But, for me, I only use flashcards for learning the definitions of economics. And I use econplusdal (YouTube channel) to make exam style notes. After I'm done with making notes for all the chapters, I start doing past papers. It usually takes a while to understand how to answer past papers. Then I keep practicing past papers until the exams
Reply 2
Yeh mine is similar for economics. I had October mocks and got Cs for both my paper 1 and paper 2 but for Jan I got an A and still a C
Which was expected coz my macro isn’t my strongest point due to lack of revision but it’s fixable
I do AQA so I make my flashcards based on their bullet points
But yeh that’s all there is for economic revision
As well as planning for every single topic, like evaluation points, diagram memorisation and real life examples
Reply 3
Original post by NazifaNawer
Okay so I don't know which study technique will work for you. But, for me, I only use flashcards for learning the definitions of economics. And I use econplusdal (YouTube channel) to make exam style notes. After I'm done with making notes for all the chapters, I start doing past papers. It usually takes a while to understand how to answer past papers. Then I keep practicing past papers until the exams

I don’t think I replied to u
Icl idk how to use this app
Original post by chaw4nn

I don’t think I replied to u
Icl idk how to use this app

Don't worry. This app still lacks some of the features from the website.

I was the same in AS😭. I hated macro (got C in paper 2 last year for AS) but now I love it. Econplusdal made me love macroeconomics.

As for essays, most essays are repetitive (at least in Edexcel economics) so for the common essays I have analysis and evaluation points noted down.
Reply 5
Original post by NazifaNawer

Don't worry. This app still lacks some of the features from the website.

I was the same in AS😭. I hated macro (got C in paper 2 last year for AS) but now I love it. Econplusdal made me love macroeconomics.

As for essays, most essays are repetitive (at least in Edexcel economics) so for the common essays I have analysis and evaluation points noted down.

Yehh that makes sense, I’ll actually do that too for the common essays that come up and any predictions hehe
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest