The Student Room Group

Pre *** can u get pregnant?

My boyfriend and I had sex a few days ago without protection, he did not finish inside and did not finish for a while after pulling out. But it’s been bought to my attention that pre *** can still get you pregnant. However I am now on my period, so does this mean I won’t get pregnant or is there still a chance?
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend and I had sex a few days ago without protection, he did not finish inside and did not finish for a while after pulling out. But it’s been bought to my attention that pre *** can still get you pregnant. However I am now on my period, so does this mean I won’t get pregnant or is there still a chance?

Extremely unlikely but take a test when you reach the appropriate date.
The girl is on her period, she's not pregnant.

There is so much misinformation here, and the standard of sexual health education is clearly poor.

Unless the man properly ejaculates the risk of pregnancy is miniscule. Implantation bleeding can give light spotting, but nothing you would mistake as a period. Some studies have found pulling out (and therefore regular exposure to pre-ejaculate) to be more effective than condoms!

Obviously not STI protection and pulling out only works if done with 100% accuracy and that's not always easy to achieve.

100% impossible for the OP to be pregnant. Everyone else - stop worrying the girl.
Original post by Apachecow
The girl is on her period, she's not pregnant.

There is so much misinformation here, and the standard of sexual health education is clearly poor.

Unless the man properly ejaculates the risk of pregnancy is miniscule. Implantation bleeding can give light spotting, but nothing you would mistake as a period. Some studies have found pulling out (and therefore regular exposure to pre-ejaculate) to be more effective than condoms!

Obviously not STI protection and pulling out only works if done with 100% accuracy and that's not always easy to achieve.

100% impossible for the OP to be pregnant. Everyone else - stop worrying the girl.

To avoid genuine misinformation sharing, there is a 20% chance of pregnancy from using the withdrawal method, whereas there's a 13% chance with condoms and that's obviously if they break and that can happen after the man has ejaculated. So in fact, there could be a 20% risk of being pregnant for OP. However, if she's having a normal period, not light spotting, it's likely she isn't pregnant but only a pregnancy test can tell. Being worried about pregnancy is usually a good way to be more careful in the future, which I hope the OP does.

Original post by Anonymous
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by -Eirlys-
To avoid genuine misinformation sharing, there is a 20% chance of pregnancy from using the withdrawal method, whereas there's a 13% chance with condoms and that's obviously if they break and that can happen after the man has ejaculated. So in fact, there could be a 20% risk of being pregnant for OP. However, if she's having a normal period, not light spotting, it's likely she isn't pregnant but only a pregnancy test can tell. Being worried about pregnancy is usually a good way to be more careful in the future, which I hope the OP does.

* 20% chance using withdrawal as the primary method per year, not per individual occasion of having sexual intercourse. So it is very misleading to say "there could be a 20% risk of being pregnant for OP".
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by -Eirlys-
To avoid genuine misinformation sharing, there is a 20% chance of pregnancy from using the withdrawal method, whereas there's a 13% chance with condoms and that's obviously if they break and that can happen after the man has ejaculated.

If you look at the research then:

The better you are about using the pull out method correctly keeping any ejaculation (***) away from the vulva and vagina every single time you have sex the better it will work to prevent pregnancy. For every 100 people who use the pull out method perfectly, 4 will get pregnant.

But pulling out can be difficult to do perfectly. So in real life, about 22 out of 100 people who use withdrawal get pregnant every year that’s about 1 in 5.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method/how-effective-is-withdrawal-method-pulling-out

More effective than condoms. In this case no ejaculation took place so we can consider it 'perfect' use.

And has been pointed out my another person - that is a 1 in 5 risk of a couple getting pregnant using this method (imperfectly) for a full year. The OP is safe

Quick Reply

Latest